Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Derry railway

• 21-10-2009 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think there is a case for a railway from Dublin to Derry in the future. Currently you have to travel to Belfast and hop on the translink with a total journey time of 4 hrs from Dublin. Is there sufficent population densities along the N2/A5 to justify a case. thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've heard chat of them linking Sligo-Letterkenny-Derry. Not sure how long a journey it'd be to Dublin then but I can't see them laying down a new Derry-Dublin track anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Is ther population dense enough between Sligo-Letterkenny-Derry to justify. I would be more in favor of sligo-enniskillen-dungannon-belfast rail link. I talking in relation to commuter/intercity services. Is there a case for freight to have a service along the alantic corridor. What kind of business in Sligo and Derry are there. Is the current route heavily burdened with lorries

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I think the whole idea is that if they link Dublin-Sligo-Letterkenny then they might as well extend it on to Derry and remember it'd be easier for the southern government to finance that rather than link sligo-belfast.

Advertisement