Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers player Maurice Edu racially abused by his own fans [mod warning post #23]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Why was there more football hooligans than normal?? Could it be because Rangers were playing? How come there didn't seem to be any when United played Celtic??
    I'm just saying what the majority of European football fans think i.e Rangers are a right wing club. I lived in Rome for two years and noticed a similar defensive atitude with Lazio fans. People in Italy looked upon them as fascists, they would naturally respond all guns blazing about the ills of AS Roma. The more criticism they got the more they fell into a siege mentality. They thought they were being picked on yada yada yada.... Around Europe Lazio have a bad reputation regardless of what they say. The same is true for Rangers. When I was living in Rome, sports shops wouldn't stock Rangers jerseys becuase they perceived them as extremely anti-Catholic. The fact is the majority of Europe is Catholic, therefore regardless of Rangers behaviour, it isn't hard to see why they are not exactly welcomed with open arms to the likes of Spain and Italy considering their anti-Catholic ethos.

Because there were not thousands and thousands of people in Manchester that day and it wasn't the final of a European competition. Having the final in Manchester was the worst thing to happen to Rangers Football Club. Had the final been on the continent, I am certain the trouble would never have happened due to the fact that the hooligans would not have travelled. This can be backed up by the thousands of fans Rangers brought to other European games that year with no trouble or fan arrests. I am aware this topic has gone very OT, but felt it was important to bring some truths to situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Firstly I think the post was relevant because the previous posts were getting into the business of comparing Celtic and Rangers. One post was even having a go at the Celtic chairman. How relevant that to the original topic? I was merely stating, whether you like it or not, in Europe it is Rangers that are percieved as the trouble-makers which is why their presence warrants double the level of security. Rangers fans were in trouble with Uefa for giving the nazi salute while playing in Israel, why would I be surpsied that SOME of their fans made racist remarks to edu??

Secondly, I never tried to tar all Rangers fans with the same Brush. I said that the proportion of troublemakers at Rangers is greater than that of the average club its size ( which again is backed up by their recent history) . Even though its still a minority it is a large minority.

I think you'll find the term "coloured" is actually quite offensive. Anyway, a huge amount of Catholic players have played for Rangers in the last ten years but this hasn't stopped a large proportion of the fans being venemously anti-Catholic. So why do you think the presence of the above players would stop them being racist? Cetlic is historically left wing, Rangers is historically right wing. I know this and I'm not a fan of either! Racism is quite common among right wing organisations.

The point about the chairman of Celtic football club was valid for a club that is supposedly left wing to have a person like him in charge is quite frightening.
    I think you will also find Uefa cleared Rangers for some fans actions in Israel granted the fans that were involved are scum

Again you say some of the fans in bold it was two is that difficult to understand.
    Have you ever been to an old firm game I have been to many over the years and I can't think of on where I was not subjected to taunts that I was a Dirty Orange B*****D amongst other things surely Celtic fans wouldn't be sectarian would they.

I would add to this I am an RC and I have never received abuse from fellow Gers fans I have however received it from Celtic fans who see me as some sort of traitor not all of course there are lots of intelligent Tic fans out there as there are lots of intelligent Rangers fans who can see beyond the religious bigotry

As for the term coloured being offensive it's getting to the stage I don't know what term to use in this PC gone mad world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't care who makes the racist comments, Celtic fans or Rangers fans, both are scum if they make racist remarks.

Yeah, but in keeping with a lot of supporters, you'll condemn isolated incidents of racism involving your own fans when presented with them, but you'll instantly publicize isolated incidents of racism involving themuns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

At this point the oneupmanship on this thread has grated on enough posters to make the thread an exercise in futility.

Ergo, t'is closed.

If anyone wants it reopened please present a cogent argument to me by PM and I'll give it consideration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement