Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPACT backs strike action over pay cuts

• 21-10-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1021/partnership.html

Grrrrr....my blood boils everytime I read an article like this. I dont think these people realise that Ireland is practically bankrupted!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

If your not happy with your job or pay then leave!!! For every public sector worker out there I'm sure there are up to 20 people more qualified and experienced just waiting to fill their jobs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

ffs i say we all just join the dole.....
    that will show them

but serously if they all quit its bigger pay cuts for them....so the wont quit....i say we fire them

like that one on the meteor ad

"next time you come up with a brillant idea, make sure it can clean the place after ya"
    "what you say... your fired you cheeky little ****"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Let them strike, attracting public support will be the mark of their success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Who's to blame?

Is it the unions for being unrealistic and attempting to justifying their existence?

Is it the government for poor economic management?

Is it the general public for irresponsible borrowing?

Is it the bank for irresponsible lending?

The thing is you can answer yes to all the above questions but will anyone take a step back and accept their share of the blame? The answer is no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

So if all the public sector workers go on strike will anyone notice the drop in productivity?

So if all the public sector workers go on strike will anyone notice the drop in productivity?

No.

Maybe thats the way to go. Link pay to productivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

orourkeda wrote: »
    Who's to blame?
    It's not about blame, it's about fact. Public Sector wages and Welfare consume 70% of government spending. They both need to be cut, and cut drastically. It doesn't matter who or what created the situation. Finding out who started the fire doesn't put it out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

when you have to **** in the streets and drink rain water you might

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I won't take the blame, I only owe a few grand for my college loan ;)

Anyway, who is on strike? I might write their HR dept a letter:

Dear sir/madam,

I hear you have employees that are not happy with their work. I am willing to work for 15% less than the standard entry fee, this should cover my training. I would be more than happy to have a job. Thank you.

Ungreatful shower of cnuts, to hell with the unions, scum. Ignorant selfish fools... I would gladly work for less than their wage...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1021/partnership.html

Grrrrr....my blood boils everytime I read an article like this. I dont think these people realise that Ireland is practically bankrupted!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

If your not happy with your job or pay then leave!!! For every public sector worker out there I'm sure there are up to 20 people more qualified and experienced just waiting to fill their jobs.

Why should the public sector be scapegoated for the governments mismanagement and stupidity?
    When has the government every said "Its time to tax the wealthy,not people with mortages on 30k a year".
    This is all a conspiracy to set both sides against each other so we lose sight of who really caused this mess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No.

Maybe thats the way to go. Link pay to productivity

That means more work for more pay. Striking means less work for more pay. Striking wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

strikes are harmless providing they get no support , the problem is that while most of us dont work in the public sector , this being a small country , thier is hardly anyone who doesnt have a husband , wife , mum , dad , son or daughter etc who does work for the state and if thier is one thing irish people value , its keeping money in the family , a broke publican , shop keeper , carpenter or architect will in most cases support thier relatives who strike to the hilt , thinking of the national interest is not a common irish trait

seamus wrote: »
    It's not about blame, it's about fact. Public Sector wages and Welfare consume 70% of government spending. They both need to be cut, and cut drastically. It doesn't matter who or what created the situation. Finding out who started the fire doesn't put it out.

So one lot are paying taxes and helping to pay for he people who arent..dont you see the tax-take from prsi will fall even further if wages are cut..what about the knock-on effect to the economy if people have to tighten thier belts further?
    This country is to fragile to take anymore tax hikes,pay cuts will be similarly disasterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Grrrr, it really makes my blood boil when people get off their asses and actually do something about the ass raping the people in charge of this country give ordinary people every day.

My mother is a teacher. I see a lot of nonsense posted up here "public servants" and "cushy jobs".

The vast majority of public servants are actually hard working and get paid an ordinary wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Degsy wrote: »
    Why should the public sector be scapegoated for the governments mismanagement and stupidity?

Because that's where most of our taxes are being wasted spent!

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Grrrr, it really makes my blood boil when people get off their asses and actually do something about the ass raping the people in charge of this country give ordinary people every day.

My mother is a teacher. I see a lot of nonsense posted up here "public servants" and "cushy jobs".

The vast majority of public servants are actually hard working and get paid an ordinary wage.

My dad and several friends of mine also work in the public service. I don't like to see them hit but I don't like to see the country go bankrupt either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

When has the government every said "Its time to tax the wealthy,not people with mortages on 30k a year".
    This is all a conspiracy to set both sides against each other so we lose sight of who really caused this mess..

Everybody is taking a cut, not just the public sector, have you seen the new unemployment figures for Ireland?

I hope your not a public sector worker browsing boards rather then doing some work. Remember our taxes pay your wages.

Because that's where most of our taxes are being wasted spent!

On wages for people who work to provide essential services or on keeping whole families in tracksuits and pajamas?

How many public sector workers are on <30k a year in fairness? IMPACT represents mostly high paid (60k+) public servants, not the poorly paid examples that it cites.

So one lot are paying taxes and helping to pay for he people who arent..dont you see the tax-take from prsi will fall even further if wages are cut.
    Do you not see what you're missing in that? It's a balancing act. If you cut the wage bill by (for example) €500 million by chopping the higher earners, then you "lose" the 46% of tax that would have been paid on that 500 million. But because the money goes back to the same place, the actual saving is in excess of €250m.
    That PRSI will drop is largely irrelevant -it's all exchequer money at the end of the day. If the health system loses out from the drop in PRSI, it can be propped up from some of that €250m saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Who's to blame?

Is it the unions for being unrealistic and attempting to justifying their existence?

Is it the government for poor economic management?

Is it the general public for irresponsible borrowing?

Is it the bank for irresponsible lending?

The thing is you can answer yes to all the above questions but will anyone take a step back and accept their share of the blame? The answer is no

One word. Capitalism. Another word. Bubble

Thats all it is and thats all it will be the next time it happens

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    How many public sector workers are on <30k a year in fairness? IMPACT represents mostly high paid (60k+) public servants, not the poorly paid examples that it cites.

Entry-level wages in my job are in the region of 22K with a degree.
    In my department of 14 people there's two earning more than 48k and they have over 50 years between them.

I actually have a problem with how the public sector has structured itself, largely through the work of the unions.

There are two distinct parts to the public sector:

"Essential Services" - People who provide for the day-to-day needs of individuals within the population. This covers Education, healthcare and emergency services.

"Non-essential services" - People who work for the government - pen pushers, seat warmers, revenue clerks, etc.

Somewhere in the mix someone decided that those who work in non-essential services were just as essential as essential services and that everyone should be on similar payscales. So for some reason, instead of being able to pick and choose what areas of public service we can fire people from and hack wages off, we are forced to apply levies and cuts to everyone, when clearly some people are more important than others. Yes, that's right, if you're sitting in a seat reading boards, your job is less important than the Garda walking down the street and you should be first in line for the chopping block.

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about?

Nobody's taxes are paying my wages..i work for al iving..i do a job of work and get paid for it.
    People on the scratcher arent working OR paying taxes and thats where the wastage is coming from..and btw,i'm not talking about the poor sods who've found themselves recently jobless after working for years..i'm talking about professional welfare scroungers who've plenty of money for cars and big televisions and new clothes and have never done a handsturn to earn it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

a)they dont want to work at all or b) they dont want to work unless the ideal job is dropped in thier lap.

That to me is the big problem.

They should be made to work for their dole be it cleaning the streets or helping out in schools or what ever.

If they have "disability" (real or not) they should be doing other stuff like licking stamps for the Department of Pissing Tax Payers Money Away.

Every one needs to contribute no matter who you are

"Non-essential services" - People who work for the government - pen pushers, seat warmers, revenue clerks, etc.

So when you ring the guards to say your house is being burgled,you only ask to speak to a cop on the beat?Presumably the guy in the station taking your call and writing your details down is a phony of some sort..leeching off the taxpayer?
    If it wasnt for govt employees the country would be an even bigger pile of shiite..i mean just look at how well the IT companies bolstered the economy before upping sticks and leaving thier employees to sink or wswim.
    People need work more than t hey need handouts.

While its a fact, it didnt get that way on its own.

The bankrupting of the irish economy was a team effort so to speak in the sense that everyone contributed.

So when you ring the guards to say your house is being burgled,you only ask to speak to a cop on the beat?Presumably the guy in the station taking your call and writing your details down is a phony of some sort..leeching off the taxpayer?
    If it wasnt for govt employees the country would be an even bigger pile of shiite..i mean just look at how well the IT companies bolstered the economy before upping sticks and leaving thier employees to sink or wswim.
    People need work more than t hey need handouts.

How about the lad who is emploeed to photocopy?

or the lad who who now sweeps Peasrse Station when the automatic tickt barriers were installed?

Or the room in an Post where people are sent to do nothing

Or the power stations that arent operating but still have a full load of staff?

There are many many more examples of this

Entry-level wages in my job are in the region of 22K with a degree.
    In my department of 14 people there's two earning more than 48k and they have over 50 years between them.

22k for what standard of degree for what kind of job? I know that a 2.1H degree typically starts you off on 25k in the private sector but that's for a skilled job directly applying what's learnt in the degree. Not much point in having a degree if all you're doing is photocopying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ditto for private sector workers....yet I don't see them complaining about it. Why should the public sector be protected from the recession more than the private sector? A huge percentage of private sector workers have had to take pay cuts in the last year or so. It should be the same across the board.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    22k for what standard of degree for what kind of job? I know that a 2.1H degree typically starts you off on 25k in the private sector but that's for a skilled job directly applying what's learnt in the degree. Not much point in having a degree if all you're doing is photocopying.

The private sector get paid more money..they always have.
    There simply isnt like to compare with like in the two sectors..the public sector employees take less money and less oppurtunity for promotion in return for a degree of job security.

Advertisement