Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

remote access cctv?

• 21-10-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

if there is any1 in Dublin that could help me with this that would be great.

Basically I bought a cctv set from outside europe..

It has 4 cameras and a dvr box for recording. It come with software that enables the user to log on and view the cctv from any pc anywhere in the world.

I tested it out in my house..hooked the cameras up to the tv, and dvr up to my router etc..everything works fine, i can even access the cctc via my laptop...(both my laptop and cctv are on the same network/internet connection)

However, once i try to access it from an outside network I just cant. I am not up to speed with this stuff, but have been told its very simple to set up, if any1 could offer some help I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

My guess is you'd have to set up port forwarding on your router to point to the dvr as generally most ports would be blocked by default. How you do this is dependant on your router, have a look at http://portforward.com/ and see if you can find your make & model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

thanks for that. i asked for advice here a few months ago, some1 mentioned port forwarding, sm1 else mentioned I would need a static ip, then sm1 else said I didn't, that there was a free online prog. that I could use instead...I checked all of this out and spent hours but got nowhere.

I know that the rite person could probably do this in an hour, so if any1 is in dublin and would be interested, please pm me...my only other option is ringing a cctv company and of course they will fleece me..

if I set this up correctly for remote access, would I be able to view it on an iphone?

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi,

if there is any1 in Dublin that could help me with this that would be great.

Basically I bought a cctv set from outside europe..

It has 4 cameras and a dvr box for recording. It come with software that enables the user to log on and view the cctv from any pc anywhere in the world.

I tested it out in my house..hooked the cameras up to the tv, and dvr up to my router etc..everything works fine, i can even access the cctc via my laptop...(both my laptop and cctv are on the same network/internet connection)

However, once i try to access it from an outside network I just cant. I am not up to speed with this stuff, but have been told its very simple to set up, if any1 could offer some help I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Its more then likely ports as mentioned. also see if your router can be set up with a dynamic dns to make it easier for you to long in.

Could you give some details of what you bought, where ya got it, image quality etc as im interested in a similar setup and im sure others might be too.

MacGyver wrote: »
    Its more then likely ports as mentioned. also see if your router can be set up with a dynamic dns to make it easier for you to long in.

Could you give some details of what you bought, where ya got it, image quality etc as im interested in a similar setup and im sure others might be too.
    http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/4_Camera_%28Indoor%29_DVR_Value_Package_BUN-AV760Z-3713/version.asp?PID=50

Its an Avtech cctv package, very similar to the one in the above link. I got it for about 200-250 euro tho as I bought it in Asia.

Dynamic dns and such terms mean nothing to me!

dynamic dns will allow you to access your router from the outside world at a constant address rather then ip address as its changing every day or so.

• Advertisement

Ok cheers. If I was to pay some1 to set this up, do you know how much I should be expecting to pay?

sorry, should have given ya a link or something at least. check out http://www.dyndns.com/ for info. you only need a free account and then when your outide of your network you go to cojomo2.com:port or what ever address you sign up for rather then 192.168.1.1:port or what ever the case is for the dvr

where are you based, maybe a friendly bordsie might be able to help.

thanks a mill for that. I am gonna give this 1 last shot but I have really lost all my patience with it at this stage! If I cant get anywhere, any idea what it should cost me to get someone to set it up for me? Thanks for your help.

should only be about 20 minutes work, any tech savy friend should be able to sort it for you but if you were to pay professionals i would guess about 50 quid, depending on how long they string it out for :)

• Advertisement

should only be about 20 minutes work, any tech savy friend should be able to sort it for you but if you were to pay professionals i would guess about 50 quid, depending on how long they string it out for :)

cool thanks for that. Yeah have a couple tech savy friends but they seem to be more interested in going for a few pints and explaining how to do it, then actually calling around and physically helping me!

well, they are going to need money for pints so offer them a few quid ;)

Whats the image quality like on the cameras you got? can u see faces clearly ?

where are you based, maybe a friendly bordsie might be able to help.

based in dublin 2, just off grafton street...thanks

well, they are going to need money for pints so offer them a few quid ;)

Whats the image quality like on the cameras you got? can u see faces clearly ?

yep u can, its pretty impressive. Not great in low light, but I would be using it in good lighting conditions..(a small well lit shop)

excellent, ill be looking at getting the night vision cameras anyway so low light shouldnt be an issue

Hey,

Tryin to set this up now...

The instructions tell me to go into the 'network' menu which I have.

The first sub menu says 'Network type'- I have tp pick one of the following:
    STATIC
    PPPOE
    DHCP

How do I know which one to pick? Once I pick one of theses, I will ten be prompted to enter more info..

If some1 could help me/let me know which option above to pick that would be great..thanks

Ok after hours I finally kinda got this working.
    When I enter my internal ip address into the URL, the streaming video appears along with a control panel to remotely control the dvr.great..

When I enter my external ip address from an outside network, it looks like it's gonna work but the video fails to load, but the control panel appears to work fine? What am I doing wrong?

Also, it's an Avtech DVR, and they have sn iPhone app to enable remote viewing from iPhone. I entered the external ip address and clicked connect.. Works perfectly while I'm ony wifi network(same network that the DVR is hooked up to, but if I try it using 3g or a different wifi network it doesn't work, not even the control panel appears like it does on the laptop...

Can any1 point me in the rite direction pllleeeeeeeaaase!

Try my friends company - www.supportIT.ie - CCTV is one of their areas of expertise so they might be able to give you a dig out, plus they are fellow techies (and in Dublin)

T.

Thanks Tara, after a lot of messing about I've just got this working ..wup wup!

1 last problem tho. Its working online..but as its an Avtech dvr, Avtech have an iphone app called 'eagleeyes' which is supposed to let you log directly into the dvr, have limited controls and full viewing...

I tried it out- working great as long as I'm connected to any wifi network, but if I try log in over 3g it says 'Log in error'

can any1 think of any reason for this? Help appreciated, thanks.

Anyone at all?

Last Question to ANYONE in the know..please!

I set up this dvr cctv system at home. Im with Ntl and created a static ip with instructions from portforward.com.

When setting up the DVR I had to pick a 'Network Type'..i was given 3 options, I picked 'static'...

Anyway, Im now tring to set this up at work, only our ISP is Smart Telecom, and when I log into the router it says the network type is PPPOE, what is this? Again, when I go into the DVR menu, this option appears so I guess I pick this instead of static. But does this mean it will casue problems, such as the IP changing every few hours?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement