Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom in Genral

• 21-10-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Are they taking the piss or what, of there advertising campaign and prices makes me laugh at what they charge an are allowed to get away with it,
    as people are now taking to the streets against everything in this country, why don't we all get up and march to eircom(scum) headquaters and tell them were to go with there service, also Eamon Ryan what has he done about this with his promises nada

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Get one organized. I'm sure you won't be short of willing participants. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Buddy go easy with the font there will ya :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Chisel

ossi wrote: »
    Are they taking the piss or what, of there advertising campaign and prices makes me laugh at what they charge an are allowed to get away with it,
    as people are now taking to the streets against everything in this country, why don't we all get up and march to eircom(scum) headquaters and tell them were to go with there service, also Eamon Ryan what has he done about this with his promises nada
    They can charge what they want.

You can choose not to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Setanta Online offer is handy, especially as they archive stuff for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

The Chisel wrote: »
    They can charge what they want.

You can choose not to buy it.

In a lot of cases people dont have a choice but to go with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

No one is forcing you to buy eircom and if your pissed off with prices why dont you go and march outside Porsche and Ferrari dealers,its called business get use to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Eircom can charge what they like, it's a free market. And TBH, anyone who willingly pays Eircom for their "fast", "reliable", "great value" services deserve the fleecing they receive every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Kensington wrote: »
    Eircom can charge what they like, it's a free market.

AFAIK, they aren't allowed charge what they want.

It's the regulator (comreg) makes them keep their line rental high to match their cost base (see the threads on eircom bundles being withdrawn due to below cost selling in the Irelandoffline site).

Comreg is there to promote competition, NOT to provide the cheapest service to the customer!! (Good to see our taxes at work!!). :rolleyes:

I heard that the reason eircom are getting rid of 1200 staff is 'cos it's the quickest way they have to reduce costs and MAYBE be allowed reduce their line rental and charges to compete against the other providers in the market.

I'm with them at the moment and find them good - better than UPC who i was with previously.

If enough people complain to Comreg, we might be allowed get cheaper line rentals from eircom....

sexmag wrote: »
    No one is forcing you to buy eircom and if your pissed off with prices why dont you go and march outside Porsche and Ferrari dealers,its called business get use to it

Not its not. Depending on where you live in this country you may have no choice but to be with Eircom, so yes if them people want broadband , they have to go with Eircom, and put up with their crap. If I want to drive a car I get a bit more of a choice than either a Porsche or a Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

It's the regulator (comreg) makes them keep their line rental high to match their cost base (see the threads on eircom bundles being withdrawn due to below cost selling in the Irelandoffline site).

Comreg is there to promote competition, NOT to provide the cheapest service to the customer!! (Good to see our taxes at work!!). :rolleyes:

I heard that the reason eircom are getting rid of 1200 staff is 'cos it's the quickest way they have to reduce costs and MAYBE be allowed reduce their line rental and charges to compete against the other providers in the market.

I'm with them at the moment and find them good - better than UPC who i was with previously.

If enough people complain to Comreg, we might be allowed get cheaper line rentals from eircom....
    comreg is the big problem in this country better if they were gone because they done notting for broadband in this country alway talking about how we will get ngn broadband which is never coming eircom cant invest were screw with 3mb and 7mb broadband the only network being invest in at the moment is wireless and cable in ireland dsl is dieing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

anbrutog wrote: »
    Not its not. Depending on where you live in this country you may have no choice but to be with Eircom, so yes if them people want broadband , they have to go with Eircom, and put up with their crap. If I want to drive a car I get a bit more of a choice than either a Porsche or a Ferrari.

As a lot of people are saying here,comreg are the problem,there here to promote competition,do you not think eircom would like to have the fastest and best service in the country so they can make more money of it,of course they would but comreg have eircoms hands tied in this situation and until there gone,were all stuck with ****ty service all round:rolleyes:

As a lot of people are saying here,comreg are the problem,there here to promote competition,do you not think eircom would like to have the fastest and best service in the country so they can make more money of it,of course they would but comreg have eircoms hands tied in this situation and until there gone,were all stuck with ****ty service all round:rolleyes:

Eircom couldnt give a crap about having the fastest and best service in the country as they effectively have a monopoly , bar UPC and the assorted midband solutions out there. I'm interested to know how Comreg have Eircom's hands tied in terms of their QOS ? Do comreg actively make Eircom degrade it ?? Just curious thats all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

my connection has gone to sh1t again the past 2 days, its the 2nd hop causing it too. Packetloss and really unstable pings 100 - 300 every second. What the hell - loving being a gamer and living in ireland

my ping to eircom is now 30 ms + , where as it should or was around 14, what the hell is going on

ehm, my attenuation has gone up to 60/40 and snr 9/9

They were 10/8 and 26/24 respectively.

I havent changed a thing regarding my line/wiring setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

nuxxx wrote: »
    my connection has gone to sh1t again the past 2 days, its the 2nd hop causing it too. Packetloss and really unstable pings 100 - 300 every second. What the hell - loving being a gamer and living in ireland

my ping to eircom is now 30 ms + , where as it should or was around 14, what the hell is going on

ehm, my attenuation has gone up to 60/40 and snr 9/9

They were 10/8 and 26/24 respectively.

I havent changed a thing regarding my line/wiring setup
    Would you try another router or doing a factory reset of your one, just to rule out that piece of equipment reading it incorrectly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

anbrutog wrote: »
    In a lot of cases people dont have a choice but to go with Eircom.
    Yes this is true....I am that soldier.
    I have moved into a new (start of the year) apartment with no line.
    I have to get a line from Eircom, no one else will provide a telephone line for the first installation.
    I am using mobile BB at the moment and it’s too slow.
    The town I am in is just outside the wireless scope/range so, here I am.
    Forced to use Eircom - well for 12 months at least.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Yes this is true....I am that soldier.
    I have moved into a new (start of the year) apartment with no line.
    I have to get a line from Eircom, no one else will provide a telephone line for the first installation.
    I am using mobile BB at the moment and it’s too slow.
    The town I am in is just outside the wireless scope/range so, here I am.
    Forced to use Eircom - well for 12 months at least.

Your not forced to use eircom you can use the midband BUT you think its too slow. So what your saying is that your not forced to side with eircom but you just dont like the alternative? That competition is all.
    In the line of thought you want an Eircom compeditor with the same speeds in your new place BUT at a lower price???? In that case sure you'd be "forced" to use the compeditor becuase you wouldnt like the new alternative - eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yeah midband.... midband is great. Awesome service. Especially the cap, how generous of them. Fair play to Eamon Ryan for supporting this service of the future!

Eircom are also quite awesome and infallible. I agree you should be able to charge what you want, profits are what the worlds all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Haven't heard that, but hopefully they aren't cutting staff =/
    I actually have Eircom in Meath cos there's not too much available there

& it works okay, apart from the setup... took a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What a load of BS. Eircom were quite happy to rip customers off for years with crappy service and products and it was only when the market got opened up they suddenly had to lower their prices some.

Eircom should never have been allowed to keep ownership of the phone lines but instead just have access to them like all the other telecoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Anybody noticed the download for 7mb is 50Gb but Eircoms own Stats site still say 40Gb or 40960Mb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the stats page is what they are going to go by.
    looks like a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

I agree you should be able to charge what you want, profits are what the worlds all about.

well why else are companies set up???

To give hugs? Kisses maybe? no no its puppies thats it... wait no its not, something close though... Pugh ... pugh... profit! Eureka!!! thats it!

sarcasm+meter.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

So you agree with me about the midband too then? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Venom wrote: »
    What a load of BS. Eircom were quite happy to rip customers off for years with crappy service and products and it was only when the market got opened up they suddenly had to lower their prices some.

Eircom should never have been allowed to keep ownership of the phone lines but instead just have access to them like all the other telecoms.
    yea im so piss of being with eircom broadband and it suck i have no real choice only reseller of the same shi t broadband and now pass week im find it hard to connect to the internet and my ps3 and mordern warfare 2 out in 2 week dam my luck:mad:

Good idea, but i'd assume we'd have to give the original owners back the billions that they paid for the network!! :rolleyes:
    As those billions went towards setting up the national pension fund, looks like we'll be in trouble... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Good idea, but i'd assume we'd have to give the original owners back the billions that they paid for the network!! :rolleyes:
    As those billions went towards setting up the national pension fund, looks like we'll be in trouble... :eek:

The state should of kept the phone line system and the "line rental" be just another form of tax for the public with all the teleco's having even access to the phone network unlike the current situation where Eircom is the only real telco and the rest are just resellers.

Thank god for NTL :D

The state should of kept the phone line system and the "line rental" be just another form of tax for the public with all the teleco's having even access to the phone network unlike the current situation where Eircom is the only real telco and the rest are just resellers.

Thank god for NTL :D

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, we are where we are.

As a landline user, I'm p*ssed at Comreg insisting that line rental charges remain high to promote competition, rather than looking after the customers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KenfromDublin

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, we are where we are.

As a landline user, I'm p*ssed at Comreg insisting that line rental charges remain high to promote competition, rather than looking after the customers!!

Well it looks as if Imagine's line rental free WIMAX is coming to the rescue of beleaguered ripped off Eirscum's 'highest-line-rental-in-the-world' customugsers and is set to slash our bills and raise our broadband speeds and reliability inversely.

This is no gimmick, it is a true next generation wireless technological development that will become the standard, and it's being adopted by all the world's leading PC brands who are already hardwiring it into all their PC's and laptops so that they will all be WIMAX ready - just like TV's today are HD ready.

I can't wait, this could and should - if there is any justice - bury the rip-off monobully that is Eirscum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

best to leave this thread die

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement