Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 in Dublin Airport for a small plastic bag

• 21-10-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Noticed in Dublin airport a few wks back a machine selling little capsules with the plastic bags used for liquids for €2 a pop.

Same day I went on to Heathrow. . .they were free there!!

Only in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

kgpixels wrote: »
    Noticed in Dublin airport a few wks back a machine selling little capsules with the plastic bags used for liquids for €2 a pop.

Only in Ireland.

they were provided free up to a few months ago, but the problem wa sthat a certain amount of people took a handful for themselves thus costing the airport over 100,000 a year to provide bags for people who forgot to bring their own.

Just like virtually every other airport (Heathrow too from seeing them at last visit) bags are now dispensed from a vending machine.

Not a rip off - just a pricey reminder to bring your own.

Who to blame? - those who took handfuls when they were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

mcaul wrote: »
    they were provided free up to a few months ago, but the problem wa sthat a certain amount of people took a handful for themselves thus costing the airport over 100,000 a year to provide bags for people who forgot to bring their own.

Just like virtually every other airport (Heathrow too from seeing them at last visit) bags are now dispensed from a vending machine.

Not a rip off - just a pricey reminder to bring your own.

Who to blame? - those who took handfuls when they were free.

It's a rip-off plain and simple. These bags costs less than 1c each. How anyone can justify a charge of €2 is beyone me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭jaykay74

mcaul wrote: »

Absolutely not true. Unless by virtually every you mean the odd one or two. I've been through 5 european airports in the last 2 months and not had to pay anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Absolutely not true. Unless by virtually every you mean the odd one or two. I've been through 5 european airports in the last 2 months and not had to pay anywhere else.

yep, i flew through Stansted about a month ago, and the lady there was handing out bags to me and the missus. My girlfriend says to the lady "did u know they are charging €2 for these in dublin", your one just laughed, she couldn't believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Those bags could be sold at a profit for 15 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

jhegarty wrote: »
    Those bags could be sold at a profit for 15 cent.

this is Ireland, a profit isnt good enough.. it has to be an enormous profit ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's a rip-off plain and simple. These bags costs less than 1c each. How anyone can justify a charge of €2 is beyone me.

Almost like charging €29 for an Irish speed camera database whereas one can buy an international version for £20 ....

It's called trying to make money. The requirements for the bags are clear and if folk want to forget them it's their business (I don't worry because I picked up a wad of them in Heathrow..).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

This was widely publicized when the charges started earlier this year so there was fair warning about it!
    It's a rip off alright but I always put my things in a sealed freezer bag before going to the airport, before the charges came in .
    Just buy a roll of self- seal small freezer bags in Dunnes Stores for about 1.50 and your ready to go :)

Tip: Always leave them in your case so you you find them before packing for atrip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Well bring one if your going as there €2 in the airport if you've had to pay it more than once its your own fault.

There cheaper in the shops buy one there if not shut up moaning !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

jaykay74 wrote: »

Funny that. I've never had to pay in Dublin.

Why? I bring my own, like any sensible person would. The rules have been in place for how long now?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Bazzy wrote: »
    Well bring one if your going as there €2 in the airport if you've had to pay it more than once its your own fault.

There cheaper in the shops buy one there if not shut up moaning !

Where do you think you are talking sense? :D

How many people leave their toiletries loose before going to the airport anyway? Are those the guys that make it take ages to get through security because they're getting the bags at the airport and deciding to pack then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Also I have noticed that in Dublin airport (and other airports too) that they seem to charge a bit more for a basic sandwich or a drink, its like they know they have you by the short and curlies......there needs to be a revolution I tells ya!

gucci wrote: »
    Also I have noticed that in Dublin airport (and other airports too) that they seem to charge a bit more for a basic sandwich or a drink, its like they know they have you by the short and curlies......there needs to be a revolution I tells ya!

you haven't noticed Boots then. 4 euro for sandwich, 500mil bottle and crisps. ;)

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Funny that. I've never had to pay in Dublin.

Why? I bring my own, like any sensible person would. The rules have been in place for how long now?

I should have phrased better, i haven't paid in Dublin either but its the only airport I've seen with this system. from a quick look on the web seems to be in luton, manchester and bradford as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/feb/27/manchester-airport-security-bags-charge

Its more likely to catch out people who don't fly regularly i guess.

parsi wrote: »
    Almost like charging €29 for an Irish speed camera database whereas one can buy an international version for £20 ....

having a speed camera database in your sat nav is not a requirement, having a plastic bag for your liquid containers is.
    It's called trying to make money.
    It's called legalised extortion
    The requirements for the bags are clear and if folk want to forget them it's their business (I don't worry because I picked up a wad of them in Heathrow..).
    I'm alright jack

Pwh, I really can't believe so many posters are justifing paying €2 for something that costs less than 1c. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

having a speed camera database in your sat nav is not a requirement, having a plastic bag for your liquid containers is.

I'm alright jack

What? I never ever ever need these bags.
    I've never been required to use/buy them it's not a requirement, bring your own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Pwh, I really can't believe so many posters are justifing paying €2 for something that costs less than 1c. :confused:

Well it's a environmentally sound price point.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You're not required to purchase them from the airport - you can buy them from Dunnes, Aldi, lidl, Tesco, Superquinn etc.

It's offering a service to folk who despite everything else didn't bother to bring a bag. It's like a speedtrap database company providing a service to folk who don't shop around.

I'm alright jack

Yes. Because I've taken steps to have a supply of them. Strangely enough I've used the same two bags for the last 12 flights I've taken - even if you do pay 2euro for one it doesn't mysteriously break and it can be re-used.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The rules have been in place for how long now?

6 November 2006 - after nearly three years, most people have got the hang of it....

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/eu-regulations/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kgpixels wrote: »

two things,
    1. There are two plastic bags in each of the capsules
    2. If people got a box of bags from the local supermarket they wouldn't have to pay so much but people are lazy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I can't believe your selling freely available information...see how much fun this can be? ;)

Your charging because you collected this information and are supplying it in a handy way to customers.

The same goes for the plastic bags, a company has put together a dispensing machine and is charging for the handiness of buying a bag in the airport

Fun eh? :)

the cost i've been told is €1 and for that €1 you get 2 bags.

So its not €2 a bag, its 50c a bag and the cost includes a convienence factor.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They also charge for these in Birmingham (50p for one last time I saw them) and in Gatwick they are free.

There are two in the pod, even though you only need and can use one. :)

I bought my own freezer bags for such things when I realised Dublin were bringing in the charge.

In Gatwick I didnt pack the toiletries properly once, and the girl took them out, handled them, checked them and said they were going in the bin unless properly bagged there and then (and no, I couldnt have a bag from her). I fail to see how this could help airport security in Gatwick, seeing as she had checked the stuff and it all complied sizewise. Sometimes I think they see the rules but fail to see sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They're phasing out that stupid liquids rule in EU airports soon so I guess Dublin Airport will have to think of some other way to rip their customers off :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We can only blame the Fiana Fail government for all this with their recent €10 tax on tourism and the corresponding drop in passenger numbers through Dublin Airport. We may also see the end of the free bog roll as the DAA try to squeeze what ever else out of their dwindling passenger numbers. :eek:

The next time the OP is abroad grab handfuls of them and have them prepared for your next trip leaving Dublin Airport. You must remember that sterilizing these bags, fitting them into capsules and maintaining the vending machines cost money. I'm also surprised that there is no hawkers flogging them at half price. :p

eth0_ wrote: »
    They're phasing out that stupid liquids rule in EU airports soon so I guess Dublin Airport will have to think of some other way to rip their customers off :-)

Don't hold your breath, the phasing out is due to start April 2010 but will more likely go back 2 to 4 years.....:(

We can only blame the Fiana Fail government for all this with their recent €10 tax on tourism and the corresponding drop in passenger numbers through Dublin Airport. We may also see the end of the free bog roll as the DAA try to squeeze what ever else out of their dwindling passenger numbers. :eek:

The next time the OP is abroad grab handfuls of them and have them prepared for your next trip leaving Dublin Airport. You must remember that sterilizing these bags, fitting them into capsules and maintaining the vending machines cost money. I'm also surprised that there is no hawkers flogging them at half price. :p

suppose we'll blame the government for the UK airport tax too? - which has been in operation for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Bring your own?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Yep the drop in passenger numbers is all to do with the €10 tax. It's nothing to do with the recession. It's interesting how the numbers were starting to drop well before the tax came in. It's as if the travellers were bracing themselves for this tax. :rolleyes:

We can blame the FF government for little plastic bags in capsules? FFS.
    How about blaming the people who grabbed handfuls of the bags which made sure that people who actually needed one were frequently stuck.

Now if you're really, really stuck you can fork out €2. If you've ever travelled ever and have ever been in a supermarket you can buy a packet of glad bags for about the same price and throw them in your suitcase so you can be prepared. If you're not prepared pay the €2 and then come on boards whinging about it and blame the government.
    The next time the OP is abroad grab handfuls of them and have them prepared for your next trip leaving Dublin Airport.

Good move. That way the airports abroad will bring in the same systems. Or just go to a supermarket and buy a few.

Advertisement