Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long for an AIB cheque to clear into an AIB bank account?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

how long will it take for an AIB cheque to clear, my account is an AIB account. Would i have it by friday? it would be nice to have it before the bank holiday weekend ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

AFAIK, An AIB cheque being lodeged in an AIB account is usually cleared straight away...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Muppet Man wrote: »
    AFAIK, An AIB cheque being lodeged in an AIB account is usually cleared straight away...

Nope, it's 3 working days, including the day you lodge it. If you lodged it today it should be cleared by friday. OP, your bank may allow you to draw on it straight away, although it's worth noting that you will be charged a small amount of interest if you draw on the cheque before it has cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

If you haven't lodged it, cash it at the counter of the branch the cheque is drawn on, providing you have easy access to the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

If you lodge it with your laser card it should clear straight away. Otherwise as per last post, cash cheque and then lodge cash with your card for access straight away.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Toots* wrote: »
    Nope, it's 3 working days, including the day you lodge it. If you lodged it today it should be cleared by friday. OP, your bank may allow you to draw on it straight away, although it's worth noting that you will be charged a small amount of interest if you draw on the cheque before it has cleared.

However the cheque writer will have the money removed instantly.

I used make a weekly payment by AIB cheque on a Friday and by lunctime it had always left my account.

The banks will always make the bobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Thanks guys. I put it in my account with my laser card yesterday at about half 2, so i am hoping it will be cleared by friday

Hmm Its actually showing up as a lodgement in my internet banking, but the total hasn't been added to my balance

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

parsi wrote: »
    However the cheque writer will have the money removed instantly.

I used make a weekly payment by AIB cheque on a Friday and by lunctime it had always left my account.

The banks will always make the bobs.

Actually the reason the cheque takes 3 days to clear is that the drawer can retrospectively stop the cheque up to 2 days after it has been debited from their account, so the cheque can still be unpaid until the third day. Nothing sinister about that.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I didn't suggest that it was sinister.

All I stated was that the cheque writer looses the money immediately and the payee gains full access to it a few days later.

Advertisement