Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

70-200mm Canon f4L

• 21-10-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

How would people rate this lens. I'm thinking of getting it but I just want to know if it's a good one to use as a telephoto zoom lens?

At present I have a 70-300mm Sigma DG and I find some of the shots taken with it are soft and sometimes blurred. I know that I need to use a tripod to get the best image stabalization; not always practical unfortunately.

Any advise is appreciated or if anyone has experience; please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have it and would definitely recommend it - it's priced very reasonably for what you are getting and very light and sharp. Disadvantages are that it's not a 2.8 and it's white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

it is a fantastic lens

its small enough to wonder round with all day

and sharp wide open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

great lenses....have one and very happy with it..

as for being white...well it stands out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

hmmm.. I don't know if I can justify the price. Anyone know where I can get it cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

the 70-200 L (f4 and f2.8 with or without IS) is one of the sharpest zoom lens made by Canon. Had the f4L IS (until was stolen few months ago) and no doubt it's my favourite lens and am looking to get a new one.

Just can't decide whether to go for f2.8 or f4. Pretty much concern about the weight. The f2.8 is about 1.5kg while the f4 is more or less 700g. And the one with IS i think is weather sealed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you should get a 2nd hand 2.8 fairly cheap, I got my 2.8IS for 750.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

steve06 wrote: »
    you should get a 2nd hand 2.8 fairly cheap, I got my 2.8IS for 750.

Where did you get that from?? I can't find anything with IS for less than €1K.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Where did you get that from?? I can't find anything with IS for less than €1K.
    Image Supply Systems. It was that price because I bought 2 of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

keep an eye on adverts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

steve06 wrote: »
    Image Supply Systems. It was that price because I bought 2 of them though.

So you bought 2 x 70-200mm f2.8 L IS canon lenses for €1500, in Ireland, in ISS?? Thats two for the price of 1.

They're definitely IS are they?? And you bought them in a SHOP in Ireland?

Jaysus H C. Cheapest I've come across second hand, even online, is €1100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I bought one (non IS) off adverts about a month and a half ago. I think I paid 450 or 475 somethin round that mark. I think it was a great buy, images and build quality are great in my opinion and I found the USM gives really quick focus (I use a 450D).... Id say cent for cent its the best lense I own next to my 50mm F1.8 and I have a few mid range lenses now at this stage.

If you're planning on shooting low light situations or sport regularly with it though Id suggest you might be better off stretching for the f2.8? Personally I couldnt justify the extra expense of the 2.8, frequency of use etc.

By the way I had a 70-300mm Sigma DG lense too and believe you will find the Canon lense a nice upgrade ;-) (less the 100mm of course)

Best of luck with it.
    Trev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Thanks for all the advise. I'll see if I can track one down second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 damo2006

I have the f4 with the IS, bought it on camerabox.co.uk new, cost around €850, it is a cracking lens, lovely and sharp and very accesible, I would highly recommend it.

90% of your shots will be above f4 so dont let the 2.8 talk throw you off unless you plan on doing alot of shooting indoors or dark areas

I use mine outdoors for motorsport events and it works great ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I bought the IS version of the 70-200f4 on adverts.ie for €780 and it's a fantastic lens for daytime use.
    I've also used it at gigs with a flash and the 200 came in really handy.

200mm Long end
    567BEC42157043E089E0FCA610BD5B08-800.jpg

70mm Wide end
    82D71FB3670947F9BA24605E50AA813B-800.jpg

It's also only half the weight of the 2.8 version and that really makes a difference, then again the 2.8 has nice bokeh/background blur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Here's a question I have often wondered about...

Why does 1 extra f stop add almost 100% to the price?

So the aperature opens a bit more than the f4 model. Is there more engineering going on inside the lens than that ? is there more glass needed ?

Ballyman wrote: »
    So you bought 2 x 70-200mm f2.8 L IS canon lenses for €1500, in Ireland, in ISS?? Thats two for the price of 1.

They're definitely IS are they?? And you bought them in a SHOP in Ireland?

Jaysus H C. Cheapest I've come across second hand, even online, is €1100

Yea, I rented it for the weekend and then asked about buying. They wanted 800 for it, I asked how much for 2 and was told 1500 so I bought them.

Advertisement