Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning baby

Options
  • 21-10-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just wondering if anyone can help with a few weaning queries. When weaning at 5 months how does this 'process' begin/ how many bottles should she take per day? How many meals? With my first child I had been given a very helpful booklet, which is no longer available, which gave great tips on weaning and frequency of feeds.
    Any information is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Snowman123

Hi Clare,

A bottle fed baby usually 4 months, breastfed 6 months

They say one of the first things to give them is baby rice for easy digestion

If she is fed by bottle, the say when weaned they should be getting roughly 20oz of formula. The follow on they can take 17-20oz as there are more nutritents compacted into a smaller amount.

I have a six almost seven month old.

His routine is:

Readybrek with 7oz formula

A meat, veg and patato dish at lunchtime

Yoghurt at 4/5

Bowl and rice and bottle before bed total (14oz)

I am in a situation where he is refusing to drink from the bottle. It is very difficult. Thats why he doesnt get a bottle during the day. I have a sippy cup for him with water.

The health nurse recommonded ready brek to me as she said just one bowl in the morning can give them most of their daily requirment of calcium and nutritents.

Hope that helps. Good luck x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

For my first I bought a Gina Forde weaning book and followed it. It tells you amounts, types of food, how to prepare it and so on. It was a lot of effort as if you follow it strictly you do not buy any kind of food or baby jars but have to make it yourself from scratch, plus sterilising every thing.

If I was to do it all over again I probably would cheat a little with jar food now and then because if you don't give it at the beginning from time to time they can reject it.

I have to say though, that following the book gave my children a good spectrum of tastes and to this day they are very good to eat a wide variety of food. Not perfect though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭jaybird

No food at 5 months, babies don't need anything but milk until 6 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

have to agree with Jaybird.
    there is research done that if you start weaning earlier than 6 months your baby may be at a greater risk of allergies in later life.
    Once you start from 6months just use a little baby rice and mix with some milk, either expressed breast milk or formula, they don't need anything else just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Every baby is an individual and it's hard for some babies to survive on just milk until they are 6 months. I say go with your gut instinct as only mammy and daddy know best. I started my babs at 19 week's she hated the baby rice so i gave her gluten free porridge and i can tell ya she's a great little grubber. She has never had digestive problem's, never suffered from trapped wind. I follow annnabel karmel's receipe's but i sometime's use jar's for convenience. I avoid food with gluten for babs as coeliac disease run's in my family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ringi

Hi

I know I was the same when I stopped breast feeding, how many bottles? Especially when the breast is demand feeding.

The easiest way for me was to read the back of the cartons initally when weaning from breast milk and then the formula tins say how many feeds per day approximately. At around 5.5 months I started feeding solids and for the first month about one ice cube at lunch and 3-4 at dinner and then gradually the three meals and from 8 months an afternoon snack as well.

r.

Advertisement