Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slow startup

• 21-10-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

ok here is the problem i purchased an inspiron mini from dell lovely little thing but the startup is very slow and the computer itself is very slow i know it dosn't pack the same punch as my bigger laptop at home but surelly i can speed it up a bit by turning off some of the programmes that startup when you switch it on and are constantly running in the backround.

so hopefully someone might be able to tell me which ones i need and which ones i don't. and how to do it.

cheers:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭djsomers

Firstly, check your RAM (memory), are you running Vista (probablbly). Vista needs 1GB alone. You don't really need anything in yur start-up unless you willactually use it. Disable all those tray-icons by disabling the startup programs. Also take off all those bells and whistles like the themes, go back to windows basic/classic theme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Ccleaner is your only man in this situation.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

have a good look at all of it's features, it's reg cleaner will speed up startup and shutdown times significantly in most situations.

you can also easily disable/restore any startup entries in your startup list.

all i have is my antivirus in the taskbar evrything else loads when I need it.

you may want to look into disabling the graphical bells and whistles that come on vista (transparent window borders and ther like). they're nice but the do consume alot of system memory on intergratet graphics systems.

you could always install xp if you have a copy or Linux (perfect for netbooks) if you need something free. in my experience vista can barely get by on one gig of ram especialy as 128 megs of that is comondeered by the intergrated graphics hardware.

edit: sorry djsomers I should have read your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,932 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its not going to be as fast. you might be able to get it faster by doing the basics, but you can forget about the speeds you get on a bigger laptop: its a mini. It has an atom processor - its meant to be slow, because its also meant to be fecking tiny. When was the last time you saw a wristwatch that could play Far Cry?

You should also be eligible for your Windows 7 upgrade if you bought it recently. check up on that. 7 will run a fair bit slicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

ok i have disabled all in the startup window
    it is a a 1.6ghz atom processor (dual core i think)
    it is running on windows xp and has 2mb of ram

now here goes iam going to restart the mini if i don't post back here in a few mins that means that the advice djsomers gave is wrong and you shouldn't disable all those tray-icons in the startup menu.

i'll find where you live dj if it dosn't restart and i will! mess with your cat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

brilliant advice dj your cat is safe:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

be careful disabling some of your start up entries, some are essential for the normal running of your machine

Advertisement