Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts!

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭

Cant imagine it will be the most used thread ever, but sure lets try it out for a while.

So post all your console modding bargains here. Discussion allowed for now(we'll see how it goes)

A couple of rules:

This is for items only, no services to be advertised here. Thats what this thread is for. (1 month ban for breaking this)

This is not a place for shilling your business! (minimum 3 month ban for breaking this, if you are unsure about something PM me or one of the other mods first!)

Now, let the bargains begin!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

To get things going:

Lidl have a couple of things for the console modder tomorrow (Thursday 22nd October)

Dremmel Type tool - €19.99 - Very useful tool to have in your arsenal. This comes with a good few diffrent type heads and adapters and a 3 year guarentee. You wont get one cheaper than this handy (in shops or online)

Hot Glue Gun - €9.99 - Another things that is pretty handy to have. Its pretty strong(not superglue strong) but pretty usefull as you can melt it again with an old soldering iron or something if you need to remove it. If your getting this you may as well get the extra glue sticks for €2.99. You can probably pick up a basic one cheaper than this off Dealextreme, but this one comes wiht a 3 year guarantee

Magnifying Glass and stand - €3.99 - Only really useful if your soldering something small and light, like a DS motherboard or a controller motherboard or something. Dont think you'll find a cheaper price than this too easy.

Mrmodchips.co.uk have a couple of things in their clearance corner at the moment worth looking at. Postage is expensive, £8.32 for the two items below , but if you need to get a coupld of them or something else it might work out ok. If you know someone in the north or the UK its only about £4

8mb xbox memory card - £3.99 - Undoubtedly the easiest way to mod a xbox is the game exploit way so this is pretty handy. Its actually pretty hard to find these at a decent price, this is about as cheap as I found it. This also comes with a break away adapter so hand if you want to try make a usb adapter for yourself.

Ps2 remote controller - £1.99 - Not an awful lot to say about this. It has a pass through for a controller so it doesnt take up the controller spot. (this plugs into playstation, controller plugs into this).

A handy device from DX for the 360 modders - $4.20 delevired

sku_10308_1.jpg

Saves you needing the open the case of the computer to mod a 360

Im not a fan of lots of stickies so with the stickying of random pic thread comes the unstickying of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

A good idea, killed by a lack of bargains :(

Maybe there was, and it just didnt get xposure, I think i see things worse if they are sticked!

its funny when i sticked the other thread i thought i deleted or something when i couldn't find it....... facepalm.jpg :)

• Advertisement

May as well revive this. Discussions welcome.

Lidl have a couple of things again:

Heat Gun - €14.99 - Useful tool for modders arsenal, Dont use to remove xbox stickers though! A good hair dryer will do a better job.

Glue Gun - €9.99 - Cheap price but mine broke after very little use, I'd recommend not buying this. Cordless is a bit of a sham too. It would be cordelss in a similar way plugging out a soldering iron and using it till it cools down is cordless.

Soldering Iron - €9.99 - Got this before, again broke after light use. Didnt return as the stand on them are excellent.

Was routing through the argos catalog there the other day:

Glue gun - €7.99 - Complete with 10 glitter glue sticks! Ok jokes aside, thats a super cheap price for a glue gun. Replacement sticks can be bought on ebay for very cheap.

Magnifying light - €29.99 - ok not really a bargain, but I have struggled to find one of these, and €30 actually isn't too bad compared to other place i found. Throw in the money back guarantee and it might just be worth a punt.

May as well revive this. Discussions welcome.

Lidl have a couple of things again:

Heat Gun - €14.99 - Useful tool for modders arsenal, Dont use to remove xbox stickers though! A good hair dryer will do a better job.

Both will removed the sticker, but the heat gun is more liable to melt the 360 case and set the sticker on fire :D

If you fancy a bit of controller modding, Harvey Norman are selling the official 360 wireless controllers for €22 at the minute - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055927294

Another one from Argos if you can find in stock

Rotary Tool (dremel) - Looks fairly useful and €15 you cant really go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Another one from Argos if you can find in stock

Rotary Tool (dremel) - Looks fairly useful and €15 you cant really go wrong

2 in stock up here in Letterkenny!

Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thanks, reserved one here in Swords!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I got something very similar in Maplins a few years ago. 9.6v cordless...utter dirt, the battery goes flat within minutes. Hopefully that one WMN linked to is different though, it's a very nice price. I went chorded in the end, as the Maplin one couldn't even operate by mains if tethered to the charger - battery only :(

Cordless ones are dirt, even expensive cordless ones are pretty crap

Should be ok, can always return it if it is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Picked this soldering station up in Maplin yesterday for the U6T1 bridging (had to be done). Think it's a bargain! Just gotta get used to which settings for leaded/lead-free etc, but well worth it! Just over €20, was looking at getting a stand and sponge (beats a glass ashtray!) anyway and it's plenty powerful!

Lidl haven't got the Heatgun in Dundrum any more, was there for ages too and I never bothered!

I see the temp is adjustable, that's very handy as 50w is a bit of a beast for the delicate stuff. Handy for jtag earth points though :pac: Nice find, great price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wez wrote: »
    Picked this soldering station up in Maplin yesterday for the U6T1 bridging (had to be done). Think it's a bargain! Just gotta get used to which settings for leaded/lead-free etc, but well worth it! Just over €20, was looking at getting a stand and sponge (beats a glass ashtray!) anyway and it's plenty powerful!

I've use this one in college for a lot of stuff, it very good and even better that that price .

Forget the glass astray or the sponge, you need to grab yourselves one of these. A bargain at that price, cleans tips unbelievably well and also doesn't lower the temp/increase the strain on the iron like a wet sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Forget the glass astray or the sponge, you need to grab yourselves one of these. A bargain at that price, cleans tips unbelievably well and also doesn't lower the temp/increase the strain on the iron like a wet sponge.

That that itself be cleaned?

I would never go back to teh sponge if i could help, this things are great :)

Varik wrote: »
    That that itself be cleaned?

Yup, it's washable. I've used mine plenty of times and I've never had to wash it. It's not like you'll be spilling flux into the thing ;) I noted witnessmenow's one was pretty well used too, I assume without a wash :p

• Advertisement

Yup, it's washable. I've used mine plenty of times and I've never had to wash it. It's not like you'll be spilling flux into the thing ;) I noted witnessmenow's one was pretty well used too, I assume without a wash :p

You assumed right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14505.htm

Soldering iron station with clamps and a 30w iron

• 2 soldering tips
    • 1 box of soldering wire
    On this week from the 23rd
    €9.99

Not a bad iron for the price

Got this delivered yesterday, lil cheaper than listed price (£2.50ish) works a treat!

SD0101505-40.jpg

CPC didn't ship my liquid flux and a few other bits n bobs, surely it's not because of that liquid/chemical ban..

Now I just need to find cheap PS3 dual lasers, or contemplate trying to fit new laser diodes.

Now I just need to find cheap PS3 dual lasers, or contemplate trying to fit new laser diodes.

Is ther much involved in fitting the diodes Wez? I did a laser before, they're pretty simple - I wasn't aware the diode kits were available though. The laser market is so hit & miss, the replacement I got didn't even work and turned into a PayPal claim. Hopefully never again, but if the diodes can be done directly then I supopse it negates having to worry about poor quality clones etc.

This is a link to the pinout etc of them, doesn't look all that bad. I just had a look for the actual diodes there and it was $45, for one!

I think it's just a matter of finding them cheap (although still quality, otherwise it's a waste of time) and trying it on a laser you'll be replacing anyway. If it worked, it'd save a fortune..

Wonder how long the wait will be until nobody needs a BR drive connected, just like Jtags..

This is a link to the pinout etc of them, doesn't look all that bad. I just had a look for the actual diodes there and it was $45, for one!

I think it's just a matter of finding them cheap (although still quality, otherwise it's a waste of time) and trying it on a laser you'll be replacing anyway. If it worked, it'd save a fortune..

Wonder how long the wait will be until nobody needs a BR drive connected, just like Jtags..

Looks straight forward enough, but $45 for one? So essentially thats what your paying for when you buy the laser unit as they're not much dearer. As you said though, quality is paramount or else your wasting your time.

Advertisement