Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help: Dole Question!

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I'm leaving my job at the end of the month due for a number of reasons, including bullying. I am aware of how crazy and possibly selfish giving up a job sounds due to the economic climate. However, after weighing it up over the last 12 months I know I need to leave. I am, of course, looking for a new job or even voluntary work for the time being (I need to stay sane!).

ANYWAY. I have moved in with my parents within the last month since breaking up with my boyfriend. I don't cost them anything and of course pay for rent and bills etc.

I need to know what is the best way for me to approach the Dole Office? What benefits can I apply for? I'm turning 28 at the end of the year and have 10 years of credits behind me. I may be moving to a friend's spare room shortly - but what proof of address will I need? I don't want to take the piss and abuse the system but I've never claimed before and have heard that people living with parents or as part of a couple get less money - is this true?

I'd love someone to shed some light on the matter, I'm finding it hard to sift through the various answers google has thrown up.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

katemcd81 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm leaving my job at the end of the month due for a number of reasons, including bullying. I am aware of how crazy and possibly selfish giving up a job sounds due to the economic climate. However, after weighing it up over the last 12 months I know I need to leave. I am, of course, looking for a new job or even voluntary work for the time being (I need to stay sane!).

ANYWAY. I have moved in with my parents within the last month since breaking up with my boyfriend. I don't cost them anything and of course pay for rent and bills etc.

I need to know what is the best way for me to approach the Dole Office? What benefits can I apply for? I'm turning 28 at the end of the year and have 10 years of credits behind me. I may be moving to a friend's spare room shortly - but what proof of address will I need? I don't want to take the piss and abuse the system but I've never claimed before and have heard that people living with parents or as part of a couple get less money - is this true?

I'd love someone to shed some light on the matter, I'm finding it hard to sift through the various answers google has thrown up.

Thanks

Hi there
    I'll do my best to answer your question,because your leaving your job voluntarily,I think your claim is suspened for 9 wks,but that may not be the case seeing as your leaving because your are being bullied.

You have 10 yrs of prsi credits behind you so your can apply for Job seekers benefit which is not means tested so you should get the full amount.Also if your moving in with a mate you apply for rent allowance.The proof of address you will require will all depend on where you plan on living,your parents or your friends.

katemcd81 wrote: »
    I don't want to take the piss and abuse the system but I've never claimed before and have heard that people living with parents or as part of a couple get less money - is this true?

This is if they apply for job seekers allowance you have paid prsi for the last 10 years so you wont be means tested.

Go into the dole and make your claim as soon you finish work and if you can try and sort out where your gonna be living before then as you'll need that proof of address.hope that helps

Advertisement