Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who should replace Rafa?

• 21-10-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

there seems to be a lot of people here (albeit fans of other clubs in the main), who think Rafa should either walk, or get sacked.

who would these people suggest replace him?

bear in mind when Rafa was getting the Liverpool job initially, the canditates alongside him were Curbishly & Strachan & the club is in a far worse financial state now than it was then & our current owners appear not to have a proverbial pot to piss in currently.

lets try & not turn this into a "Rafa is ****e", "rafa is a genius", "Rafa spent blah blah blah", there is already one of them going, instead lets try sensible discussions the better people available who people think would be REALISTIC canditates to replace him.

you never know, you might convince me :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oh dear lord, what have you done?

On behalf of the mod team I want to thank you for starting this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

surely its only logical that the people who think he should leave have a replacement in mind.

and mods: bans should be handed out for the first person who suggests Jose!;)

Klinsmann is available obviously, Southgate newly available as well.

Klinsmann was surprised to see Kuyt out right last night as he thought he was a striker, so he has obviously been monitoring the position closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Stan.

End of discussion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Keegan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'll do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Mr Alan!

Eirebear wrote: »
    Mr Alan!

With Boggles as assistant coach, ntlbell in charge of zonal marking and FinkGoddie handling the finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd like to see Roddy Collins given a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    there seems to be a lot of people here (albeit fans of other clubs in the main), who think Rafa should either walk, or get sacked.

why would other fans especially man utd fans want rafa to walk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Xavi6 wrote: »
    With Boggles as assistant coach, ntlbell in charge of zonal marking and FinkGoddie handling the finances.

You could take charge of the matchday programe.:D

• Advertisement

I hear Southgate's lookin for work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Xavi6 wrote: »

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

:confused: Why sack him??

Ye are not going to get someone with half the football know how of Rafa, anybody who says Kenny D is mad, waht has he done to justifiy one of the biggest jobs in management at this current time??

Bringing back past legends only rarely works. Anybody going into Liverpool if Rafa got sacked would be in a worse situation then Rafa is, they would becoming in fresh not fully understanding the players.

Sack Rafa = madness.

(Not a pool or Utd fan:))

i agree with you gav, i was just wondering who the people who think he should be sacked think should replace him. cause obviously you'd only sack your manager if you could get a better replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Stan. He'll obviously be available come Christmas or maybe even sooner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There can be only one solution.
    Bob Paisley's head in a jar, a la Futurama.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan calling the anti-Liverpool brigade's bluff and raising the stakes. Crafty move this, taking the ability to troll away from the trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Can Liverpool afford to sack him? (financially)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Keano might be looking for some work soon.

Can Liverpool afford to sack him? (financially)

probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Serious hat on:

I'd be devastated if Rafa left/was sacked. I think there are only a handful of managers in Europe worthy of replacing him.

Two of them (Wenger and Ferguson) are out of the question
    Mourinho is hated by 90% of Liverpool's fans. He's unproven at the highest level on a limited budget

For me only Hiddink (wouldn't take Chelsea job so he won't take this one) or Capello (i doubt he'll leave England for at least 2 more years) are of the required quality.

Why would any of the above managers come to a club with no money to spend?

After that you're very much in the second tier of managers and we're getting into dangerous Martin O'Neill territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

probably not.

Even if they could, it'd be madness to sack him. So they're going through a bad patch with half their squad injured, big deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

<
    United fan but would anyone not think that there is a chance of Daglish taking the job, at least on a temporary basis?

when i worried the yanks were gonna sack Rafa at a point the season before last, i was thinking to myself who i'd be happy enough to see replace him, Capello was the only one that came to mind, but obviously thats about as likely as Ferguson.

even the likes of O'Neill (who a lot of Villa fans wanted sacked over the last few months), why would he leave Villa where he has a blank cheque book & outstanding relationship with his owner to come to Liverpool where his owners are likely to try & stab him in the back & provide him with no cash? not a chance imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dear Sven, how would you fancy a new opportunity? We at Liverpool have already taken steps to line up your new assistant...

kirsty-gallacher.0.0.0x0.400x300.jpeg

10_24409t.jpg

SK1979 wrote: »
    <
    United fan but would anyone not think that there is a chance of Daglish taking the job, at least on a temporary basis?

hasn't managed in 10 years & has always been a huge backer of Rafa.

i'd imagine if Rafa left, Kenny would be leaving too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

even the likes of O'Neill (who a lot of Villa fans wanted sacked over the last few months), why woul
    Hey, hey, hey, hey. Mits off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Bring back the Big Sam and Little Sam combination!!!!

Big Sam would be perfect for the role, only thing of course would be there would always be the potential for him to leave and move onto a bigger job, like the England or Real Madrid job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Serious hat on:

I'd be devastated if Rafa left/was sacked. I think there are only a handful of managers in Europe worthy of replacing him.

Mourinho is hated by 90% of Liverpool's fans. He's unproven at the highest level on a limited budget

For me only Hiddink (wouldn't take Chelsea job so he won't take this one) or Capello (i doubt he'll leave England for at least 2 more years) are of the required quality.

After that you're very much in the second tier of managers and we're getting into dangerous Martin O'Neill territory

Porto were buying everyone sure before they won the champions league.

He's won the prem and the players he signed for Chelsea are still doing the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

slingerz wrote: »
    Porto were buying everyone sure before they won the champions league.

So were Liverpool pre 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

It depends on what your priority is. If, as most 'pool fans claim they want to win the league first and then the other competitions come next in priority then Mourhino is your man (hatred is easily forgotten when your team is winning and he simply would do the job for anyone. I hate the way his team plays football but thats my personal opinion).

If your priority is Champions League which most people seem to be more proud of when you talk to 'pool fans (compared to League titles i mean, funny that since United equalised their record) then Rafa is still your man as he is a Madrid man through and through and to all madrid fans, the only competition that matters is the Champions League. So it depends on what you want.

There are problems at Anfield bigger than Rafa and he needs to find a settled side capable of winning the competition again before Gerrard and Carra become too old. Its obvious Mascherano wants out and Alonso going has totally destabilised them this year compared to last. I realise I seem to be alluding to the ''pool are a two man team' theory but in all honesty they are completly a different team this year compared to last year. give him the money and he will find the players to crack Europe again but therin lies the problem doesn't it, the team are broke and people will say that is Rafa's fault for spending so much over the last few years. The answer is really simple, Rafa has brought 'pool to champions elague Semi & Quarter finals in nearly every year he has been at the club, which is a record whch is very impressive.

Personally Am a United supporter and although i loved it when we won the CL, to me its always the League first and foremost and this is why noone will beat Fergie as he knows how to win leagues like noone else. He broke the Glasgow monopoloy once and he could do it again if he wanted to go North again.

But as for the original question, it depends on what you want, do you wanna win the league or CL next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I hope he stays tbh...:rolleyes:

Lets see Liverpool manage under the constraints of Everton

ie: Perry having to re mortage his house to finance deals and having to skimp off the lesser known cup competitions...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Serious hat on:

Has to be post of the day. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Serious hat on:

And what the fcuk puts Rafa on a higher level than your so called second tier managers?? Im not a Liverpool fan but I would take O'Neill in a hearbeat over Rafa

tomred1 wrote: »
    Has to be post of the day. lol

What I meant was, that he’s never won the prem on a limited budget. He’s never won Serie A under a limited budget. That’s what I meant by unproven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Roberto Martinez maybe, best young manager in England.
    IMO he's close to a shoo-in to be a top 4 manager eventually anyway, so go for it now.

And what the fcuk puts Rafa on a higher level than your so called second tier managers?? Im not a Liverpool fan but I would take O'Neill in a hearbeat over Rafa

Oh, I don’t know – Champions League winner, Champions League Finalist, UEFA Cup Winner, La Liga Winner twice.

That’s what the fcuk puts him on a higher level than Martin O’Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

would wait and see if russia get through the playoffs.
    if not, Hiddink would be the first choice. did well with his spell in charge or chelsea and has done well with russia too.

van basten could be a good choice, did well with holland but not with Ajax i suppose.

wouldnt be suprised to see Svens name mentioned if it did happen, it always is but i dont know why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Seriously, considering Liverpool won't be able to buy a manager that rules the likes of Mourinho out so they'll have to go for someone who's unemployed, I'm guessing Bilic, Mancini or Rijkaard and out of the three of those I'd go for Mancini. Won the league every year with Inter but more impressively did a really good job with lazio with literally no money at all. He also speaks english

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

gucci wrote: »
    So were Liverpool pre 2005

Do you not understand sarcasam?

FAO whatawaster

How much did Mourinho spend during his time at Chelsea v Benitez time at Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

McLaren is doing ok-ish with FC Twente.

What about a short-termer, I mean if Rafa does go it would pretty much mean Liverpool's hopes of winning anything were gone for the season. Get a short-term manager, someone like Dalglish, for the rest of this season, then get in Del Bosque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Souness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Oh, I don’t know – Champions League winner, Champions League Finalist, UEFA Cup Winner, La Liga Winner twice.

That’s what the fcuk puts him on a higher level than Martin O’Neill
    And yet Jose is "unproven". Only to you tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Steve Bruce would be a good replacement although difficult i would imagine to pry away from sunderland given the financial backing and good relationship with quinn. Outside of the Premier League Martin Jol or frank rijkaard.

slingerz wrote: »
    Do you not understand sarcasam?

FAO whatawaster

How much did Mourinho spend during his time at Chelsea v Benitez time at Liverpool?

Benitez has a net spend over 6 years of 85 million - average of 14 million a year

To compare gross spend:

Benitez spent 228 million gross over 6 years (average 38m per year)
    Benitez recouped 145 million in that time (average 24m per year)

Mourinho spent 225 million gross over 3 and a bit years (average 65 million over 3.5 years)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2321598/Jose-Mourinhos-transfer-spending-at-Chelsea.html

Not sure how accurate that listing is for Chelsea. I don't think Robben was a Mourinho signing and he's listed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

What I meant was, that he’s never won the prem on a limited budget. He’s never won Serie A under a limited budget. That’s what I meant by unproven

yet you'd gloss over his achievments at porto?

he's shown that money alone doesnt win you leagues, seeing as no one else has won one at chelsea since he left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Domenech will be available after the 18th Nov.

Seroiusly, Klinsmann is problay first on the list for Hicks & Gillet. Luciano Spalletti (Ex Roma) is available. Guus Hiddink could be available soon also.Martin Jol has done a good job at Spurs and Hamburg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Ian Rush :D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Everyone should take marketing possibilities into account before choosing a manager, tbf.

Therefore, Mourinho.:rolleyes:

Steve Bruce would be a good replacement although difficult i would imagine to pry away from sunderland given the financial backing and good relationship with quinn.

Ah go 'way out of that. No chance that a club would ever appoint one of its biggest rivals' legendary players as their manager. Not a chance in hell, especially a United legend.

Shit, hold on a minute.........:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement