Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who should replace Rafa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Personally i think it would be madness to sack Rafa now. But it's an interesting exercise trying to think of a suitable replacement, so - ... eh ... Rijkaard? Big risk just now. Better off waiting to see how he gets on in Turkey.
    Roy Hodgeson? He is absolute quality imo. But would he leave Fulham? I don't think he would mid-season. Maybe in the summer.

That's it, I'm out of ideas. Shouldn't, and probably won't, be a question that has to be answered anytime soon anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

event wrote: »
    yet you'd gloss over his achievments at porto?

he's shown that money alone doesnt win you leagues, seeing as no one else has won one at chelsea since he left

That is also in part down to poor managerial appointments and the strength of Man United. Don’t forget, once United got back strong again Mourinho couldn’t cope with them in 06/07 and it was looking like he couldn’t keep the pace with them in 07/08 too.

I think he’s an excellent coach, but I don’t think he’d walk into Liverpool and win us the league with no effort like some people seem to be suggesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It depends on what your priority is. If, as most 'pool fans claim they want to win the league first and then the other competitions come next in priority then Mourhino is your man (hatred is easily forgotten when your team is winning and he simply would do the job for anyone. I hate the way his team plays football but thats my personal opinion).

If your priority is Champions League which most people seem to be more proud of when you talk to 'pool fans (compared to League titles i mean, funny that since United equalised their record) then Rafa is still your man as he is a Madrid man through and through and to all madrid fans, the only competition that matters is the Champions League. So it depends on what you want.

There are problems at Anfield bigger than Rafa and he needs to find a settled side capable of winning the competition again before Gerrard and Carra become too old. Its obvious Mascherano wants out and Alonso going has totally destabilised them this year compared to last. I realise I seem to be alluding to the ''pool are a two man team' theory but in all honesty they are completly a different team this year compared to last year. give him the money and he will find the players to crack Europe again but therin lies the problem doesn't it, the team are broke and people will say that is Rafa's fault for spending so much over the last few years. The answer is really simple, Rafa has brought 'pool to champions elague Semi & Quarter finals in nearly every year he has been at the club, which is a record whch is very impressive.

Personally Am a United supporter and although i loved it when we won the CL, to me its always the League first and foremost and this is why noone will beat Fergie as he knows how to win leagues like noone else. He broke the Glasgow monopoloy once and he could do it again if he wanted to go North again.

But as for the original question, it depends on what you want, do you wanna win the league or CL next?

This is the real issue IMO. Managers don't just perform in a vacuum so it simply isn't a case of assessing who is the best available candidate without factoring in the climate they will need to perform in.

Another problem is the double edged sword of building a squad - this takes time and fans want instant results. Rafa's been slated for blowing too much money on the likes of Johnson, Acquilani, when monies were needed more evenly in other areas of the team. But O'Neill has been dubbed "O'Snaill" at Villa for not making a bold move on a big named player and committing to unglamourous hardworking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah go 'way out of that. No chance that a club would ever appoint one of its biggest rivals' legendary players as their manager. Not a chance in hell, especially a United legend.

Shit, hold on a minute.........:pac:

Ah, City hardly count now do they!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Mr Alan wrote: »
    surely its only logical that the people who think he should leave have a replacement in mind.

and mods: bans should be handed out for the first person who suggests Jose!;)

Klinsmann is available obviously, Southgate newly available as well.

Klinsmann was surprised to see Kuyt out right last night as he thought he was a striker, so he has obviously been monitoring the position closely.

I dont know where to start with this one... I mean wtf are you on about? Klinsmann??? 'obviously monitoring the situation closely...'?? So we are all aware of this how many years ago, and Klinsmann notices this now?! Gosh he's a sharp shooter isnt he, give him the job right now. Southgate?! Has he just been sacked or something, havent heard, if he has how on fcuking god's green earth does that mean he should be a candidate if Liverpool were to shoot themselves in the face and make a bad situation catastrophic!

Unless of course you were being sarchastic, otherwise double facepalm. Honestly im a better choise than those two sadsacks. (Legend at the old champo manager)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Unless of course you were being sarchastic, otherwise double facepalm.

Indeed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Des wrote: »
    Indeed :)

The internet strikes again! Got use bold and fancy stuff if your going to be doing that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Are there any other managers available with a track record that reads as good as:

1 CL (out of basically a mediocre Houllier squad)
    1 CL runners up
    1 Uefa Cup (Valencia!)
    1 FA Cup
    2 La ligas (Valencia!)

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

That is also in part down to poor managerial appointments and the strength of Man United. Don’t forget, once United got back strong again Mourinho couldn’t cope with them in 06/07 and it was looking like he couldn’t keep the pace with them in 07/08 too.

I think he’s an excellent coach, but I don’t think he’d walk into Liverpool and win us the league with no effort like some people seem to be suggesting

true to some extent but i still wouldnt right off his porto achievements so quickly, he set amazing records there

but this is OT, so prob best to leave it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

kinaldo wrote: »
    Are there any other managers available with a track record that reads as good as:

1 CL runners up
    1 Uefa Cup (Valencia!)
    1 FA Cup
    2 La ligas (Valencia!)

?

Are you for real?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

slingerz wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Be fair like - he took over Valencia in 2001 so al those titles came in the last 8 years.

And if you try and the debate that his record is not fantastic then...well I can't say I'll only get banned.

slingerz wrote: »
    Are you for real?

:confused:

It's a pretty straightforward and honest question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

'Arry

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

kinaldo wrote: »
    1 CL runners up
    1 Uefa Cup (Valencia!)
    1 FA Cup
    2 La ligas (Valencia!)

Throw in another Champions league Semi final appearance (lost on the infamous goal)
    Another 2 Quarter Final appearances one with Pool and one with Valencia,
    A League Cup final (not completely at fault but certainly on a Gerrard scoring a freak own goal)
    A Super Cup win, a charity shield win.
    And then obviously bringing Liverpool to a record points total and our best effort at winning the league in recent history.

in 8 years anyone who says his record isn't exceptional is in denial.

mayordenis wrote: »

in 8 years anyone who says his record isn't exceptional is in denial.

beyond the pale more like it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

David O' Leary is looking for work I'm sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mourinho;

wouldn't want the job

won the league with Porto, but tbh while not taking away from that achievment, porto won the league 7 of the 11 previous seasons. Porto are one of only 2 big teams in Portugal, and were used to dominating. Liverpool are one of 4, with Citys new money adding a possible 5th, and haven't won the league for 20 years.

would have to be paid MASSIVE compensation to get him from Inter, like HUUUUGE compensation.

hasn't won any of his last 8 games in the CL.

Rafa has a better record in Europe, and tbh, i don't think there is anything to suggest Jose is the man to win you a league on a tight budget. nor is he the man to deal with our owners, he fell out Abramovich who is lightyears ahead of our custodians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Mourinho;

won the league with Porto

Twice.

He also won the UEFA Cup and Champions League in successive seasons with them.

Mourinho;

wouldn't want the job

won the league with Porto, but tbh while not taking away from that achievment, porto won the league 7 of the 11 previous seasons. Porto are one of only 2 big teams in Portugal, and were used to dominating. Liverpool are one of 4, with Citys new money adding a possible 5th, and haven't won the league for 20 years.

he did more than just win a league though
    in his first full year he set a record points total for a league winner.
    he also won the cup and UEfa cup that year

next season was the league, with a perfect home record winning every game and the champions league

quite an achievement

event wrote: »
    he did more than just win a league though
    in his first full year he set a record points total for a league winner.
    he also won the cup and UEfa cup that year

next season was the league, with a perfect home record winning every game and the champions league

quite an achievement

as i said, he did brilliantly, but i just meant winning the league with Portugal would hardly be the same thing as winning it with Liverpool in England. in comparrison to the rest of the league, Porto were the big dogs money-wise.

Rafa also holds both Liverpools highest ever points tallies if i'm not mistaken, and has hardly been a slump in the CL. also echoing Joses Uefa Cup & CL in a row with Valencia & Liverpool.

also worth noting he earns 11m a year, Rafa earns between 3 & 4.

• Advertisement

And what the fcuk puts Rafa on a higher level than your so called second tier managers?? Im not a Liverpool fan but I would take O'Neill in a hearbeat over Rafa

i love the way you say that in some sort of effort to show your opinion is totally non-biased.

Celtic fan, right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Alan if rafa walked away tomorrow

who would ya want as the manager ?

yeah i suppose

i still think he'd be up for it. Not saying he'd win the league with ye, sure no one can say it with 100% but if Rafa were to go, he would have to be considered.

i dont think they'll sack him after sunday, regardless of result, but i reckon that if ye finish 5th this year, he would be gone.
    and i reckon after the WC, hiddink will step down. Would be a massive chance to get him. Id say only City in the PL would try and get him too.

Headshot wrote: »
    Alan if rafa walked away tomorrow

who would ya want as the manager ?

Capello.

We'd more than likely get Barnes or Klinsmann though i reckon.

Capello.

We'd more than likely get Barnes or Klinsmann though i reckon.

sorry my mistake

ment to say "realistic choice"

capello has said that England will be his last job in soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

and mods: bans should be handed out for the first person who suggests Jose!;)

i'd be quite happy if jose came to anfeild, although with the compensation package that would need to be given to rafa and the wages jose would demand unless this saudi fella gets his deal cant see that happening

other than that martin o'neil

so when does my ban run till

:D

i honestly have no idea.

we can afford nor attract anyone of decent quality in our current situation imo.

re:MON, the lad has had a blank cheque the last 3 years & will be doing well to finish 6th this year imo. if Rafa's decisions left you perflexed at times, imagine it multiplied by 1000 with O'Neill. (how long did he go without winning a game at the end of last season Helix?)

MON is not in the same league as Benitez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Nobody should replace Benitez

i honestly have no idea.

we can afford nor attract anyone of decent quality in our current situation imo.

your always a downer, not always about the money ya know

true. maybe we can get Hiddink & pay him in Liverpool beach balls ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

re:MON, the lad has had a blank cheque the last 3 years & will be doing well to finish 6th this year imo..

Not True, MON had a negative net spend in the 07/08 season.

more spin??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Would never want to see Rafa go, and I honestly have no idea about who would be an adequate realistic replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

martin o neil is a clown not in the same league as rafa runs and jumps around like a nutter,dont think there are many better coaches than rafa thats not to say an inferior coach couldnt do a better job.
    harry redknap would definatly be my number one choice,a quality manager with a good track record,proven in the transfer market,and a decent guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote: »
    Not True, MON had a negative net spend in the 07/08 season.

more spin??

Soccerbase disagrees.

more spin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Pool don't need Villas manager they want the stability of Villas owner, most posts about MON on here has focused on the resources given to MON.

I doubt the owners would sack Rafa in October. Pool fans here don't seem to trust H&G to run the club, why would they trust them to sack Benitez and appoint a new manager?. Would Pool fans have confidence in their first managerial appointment as owners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

On the presumption that benitez (leaves or is sacked).

Harry redknapp with a possible assistants role for Sami Hyypia or Gary Mc Allister.

Or sven.

Would Pool fans have confidence in their first managerial appointment as owners?

i wouldnt have confidence in them making a cup of tea tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Soccerbase disagrees.

more spin?
    Think you've got dizzy with all the spinning buddy.

http://www.soccerbase.com/transfers_by_team.sd?teamid=154

Looks like a negative net spend to Pighead.

Soccerbase disagrees.

more spin?

No it doesnt

Players purchased 875000
    Players sold 1000000

http://www.soccerbase.com/transfers_by_team.sd?teamid=154

Surprised you though I'd make such a mistake.

• Advertisement

o neill spent just less than 65m (net) in the last 3 seasons.

rafa has spent about 36.75 net in the same period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Rafa's going nowhere

Not true, Liverpool had a net spend of over £39 million in the season 07/08 alone and have not had a negative net spend in the two season since.

the figures on that site are inaccurate btw.

has keane down as 20.3m, but its already established that wasn't paid for him.

seems to incl add ons when listing players bought, but not when players sold? Alonso, for example rises to 34m.

your net spend is incl figures that are not accurate. keane & torres deals for example.

that soccer base site is a farce, doesnt even list Torres as a purchase. i must have dreamt that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Groundhog day here i see.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

your net spend is incl figures that are not accurate. keane & torres deals for example.

that soccer base site is a farce, doesnt even list Torres as a purchase. i must have dreamt that :rolleyes:
    :confused:
    http://www.soccerbase.com/transfers_by_team.sd?teamid=1563

pighead, when i cliick that link, i get this years transfers, again full of inaccuracies. the aquilani fee was published on Romas website for crying out loud :rolleyes:

pighead, when i cliick that link, i get this years transfers, again full of inaccuracies. the aquilani fee was published on Romas website for crying out loud :rolleyes:
    Click 2006/07. He's there in all his blonde haired glory.

Also could you explain how you arrived at the figure of 65 million Net spend for O'Neil over the past 3 seasons. As far as I can work out it's nowhere near that. More like 35 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I was kinda liking reading this thread until 'spends' came into it. Pretty sure the jist of the OP was to avoid such chatter.

daithijjj wrote: »
    I was kinda liking reading this thread until 'spends' came into it. Pretty sure the jist of the OP was to avoid such chatter.
    Are you really sure? He doesn't look like he's trying too hard to avoid it to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement