Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who should replace Rafa?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

While I have a lot of respect for Rafa, he is often too negative and has really had a lot of bogey signings (I do think Lucas is developing well, still no replacement for alonso though!).

If I could pick ANYONE, it would have to be Roy Hodgson. Cultured manager, knows his stuff and I like listening to him talk about football (going to a game with him and Arsene Wenger would be class, listening to them chat players and tactics).

I'm a Chelsea fan, but I still think Rafa deserves until the end of the season on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

can people please read the thread about rafas signings, it really cleans up a lot of the nonsense myths that are around about him being poor in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mr Alan wrote: »
    can people please read the thread about rafas signings, it really cleans up a lot of the nonsense myths that are around about him being poor in the transfer market.

theres a rafa signings thread? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I know it's the guardian, but here is a list of 15 signings who they deem as "flops". I don't agree with all of them,but I think it is safe to say that Benitez has been less successful than the likes of Ferguson and Wenger at importing talent into the premiership.

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Jimmy Rice 23 October 2009
    Rafa Benitez will take charge of his 200th league game for Liverpool on Sunday - and we've unearthed some fascinating statistics comparing the Spaniard's record to rival managers.
    Benitez has won 113 of his 199 top-flight clashes since taking charge of Liverpool in 2004 - an impressive 56.8 per cent.

This compares favourably to the records of Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger in their first 200 league games.

Ferguson won just 87 from 200 (43.5 per cent) after joining Manchester United in 1986 - and it took the Scot almost seven years to collect a league title.

Wenger triumphed in 110 (55 per cent) of his first 200 league matches following his appointment at Highbury in 1996 - a stat which was good enough at the time to win him a championship trophy in 1997-98.

Meanwhile, just one Liverpool manager from down the years can boast a better record than Benitez.

Kenny Dalglish won 120 of his first 200 (60 per cent) league games.

Bob Paisley totted up 113 victories (56.5 per cent), Bill Shankly 106 (53 per cent) and Gerard Houllier 101 (50.5 per cent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ah but too many people have their head turned by someone saying "net spend bollix!!1!1!1!!!", no matter how many facts you use.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I know it's the guardian, but here is a list of 15 signings who they deem as "flops". I don't agree with all of them,but I think it is safe to say that Benitez has been less successful than the likes of Ferguson and Wenger at importing talent into the premiership.

Linky

that list is hilarious.

a good chunk of them are free transfers! and players that were bought, sold on at a profit & replaced by better players are incl.

i can't be arsed, but i'm pretty sure i could make a far more damning list for Ferguson showing massive money wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i started it to prove a point, the people who were calling for Rafas head have yet to offer one viable replacement.

it was fairly obvious from the OP that he was trying to prove some point about rafa being sacked. but im afraid this has not really proved anything. all it has shown is that we are better off not sacking rafa but it does not prove that he wont be sacked or walk...and do we all trust the yanks to make the best footballing decision??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mormank wrote: »
    it was fairly obvious from the OP that he was trying to prove some point about rafa being sacked. but im afraid this has not really proved anything. all it has shown is that we are better off not sacking rafa but it does not prove that he wont be sacked or walk...and do we all trust the yanks to make the best footballing decision??

If Rafa has lost the dressing room he has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

podge018 wrote: »
    Jimmy Rice 23 October 2009
    Rafa Benitez will take charge of his 200th league game for Liverpool on Sunday - and we've unearthed some fascinating statistics comparing the Spaniard's record to rival managers.
    Benitez has won 113 of his 199 top-flight clashes since taking charge of Liverpool in 2004 - an impressive 56.8 per cent.

This compares favourably to the records of Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger in their first 200 league games.

Ferguson won just 87 from 200 (43.5 per cent) after joining Manchester United in 1986 - and it took the Scot almost seven years to collect a league title.

Wenger triumphed in 110 (55 per cent) of his first 200 league matches following his appointment at Highbury in 1996 - a stat which was good enough at the time to win him a championship trophy in 1997-98.

Meanwhile, just one Liverpool manager from down the years can boast a better record than Benitez.

Kenny Dalglish won 120 of his first 200 (60 per cent) league games.

Bob Paisley totted up 113 victories (56.5 per cent), Bill Shankly 106 (53 per cent) and Gerard Houllier 101 (50.5 per cent).

Does it clarify if he has a better points tally than the same? Because victories alone doesn't tell the full tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Rafa out !!! Jose Morhinio in!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Would of been interesting to have a poll on who actually wants him out or to stay. I would HATE to see Rafa go but so many of my friends who are liverpool fans have actually all turned against him and want him out.

My defence includes how he has no money and that Hicks and Gillet are the ones they should be wanting out. Their response...."you cant keep blaming the owners for everything" :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

joe123 wrote: »
    Would of been interesting to have a poll on who actually wants him out or to stay. I would HATE to see Rafa go but so many of my friends who are liverpool fans have actually all turned against him and want him out.

My defence includes how he has no money and that Hicks and Gillet are the ones they should be wanting out. Their response...."you cant keep blaming the owners for everything" :cool:

exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah but who'll replace him, huh?

mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah but who'll replace him, huh?

the pope

:-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

joe123 wrote: »
    Their response...."you cant keep blaming the owners for everything" :cool:

this is the exact reason why i've been in two minds about it.

as i said in the Liverpool thread earlier in the week, we can talk all day long about the wonderful things he's done and the sh*t owners that we have, but there has to come a point when he takes the blame for sh*t performances.

the owners don't tell him how the team should play as far as i know.

but at the same time i'd hate to see him go.

i hate this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

People are talking about Rafa leaving but i think it's just a load of hot air

boom boom

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

boom boom

i'm sorry but that deserves a....

Facepalm.jpg

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

boom boom

sand storm in a tea cup

he'll be there till he he kicks the bucket

talent in spades tbh

just putting on a bit of a front.

tides will turn tomorrow.

lol it was bad alright

Im just hoping utd can bounce on from their great win in Russia, but im just worried liverpool will be pumped up for this game

yes I went there

lol it was bad alright

Im just hoping utd can bounce on from their great win in Russia, im just worried liverpool will be pumped up for this game

yes I went there

life's a beach brother.

ntlbell wrote: »
    sand storm in a tea cup

he'll be there till he he kicks the bucket

talent in spades tbh

just putting on a bit of a front.

tides will turn tomorrow.

there's....just....too....many....of....you....

;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    there's....just....too....many....of....you....

;)

heh

garynevilleballoon.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Boggles wrote: »
    If Rafa has lost the dressing room he has to go.

i dont think he has. however all i was saying is that the original poster started this thread to prove that since there is noone better we can get in that he wont be sacked...if only the owners could think like that, however im merely saying that this wont be a factor in their decision imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I love Liverpool fans overinflated sense of their own importance.

What's going to make it funnier is that if Liverpool beat Manchester United they'll think they're going to win the league again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Rafa going no where this season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Rafa out !!! Jose Morhinio in!!!
    That will never happen, why would he come to Liverpool, he is waiting for the United job Jose.

Advertisement