Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pes and fifa

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

i see in loads of reviews year after year that fifa has better graphics and gameplay....

am i the only one that thinks pes has the better gameplay and that fifa graphics look cartoony?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

PES, once the beez-neez (ISS - PES 6), serious fall from grace (2008) and now piss poor imho.
    FIFA, once good (94-99), then a laughing stock (2000-05), then so bad (06-07), then pretty good (08) then great (09) now amazing.

My opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

Nah tbh PES used to have better gameplay/graphics but thats just past talk now. Fifa have put serious money into it and the result is very good. I would buy fifa anyday now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    i see in loads of reviews year after year that fifa has better graphics and gameplay....

am i the only one that thinks pes has the better gameplay and that fifa graphics look cartoony?:confused:

As I said in another thread, Fifa 10 is the most over rated game of all time! Read the Fifa 10 Rant thread and you'll see all the problems with it. This is the same game that was supposed to be the best football game of all time, getting ratings of 9.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Quint wrote: »
    As I said in another thread, Fifa 10 is the most over rated game of all time! Read the Fifa 10 Rant thread and you'll see all the problems with it. This is the same game that was supposed to be the best football game of all time, getting ratings of 9.5.

I would say it is the best football simulation game - and that's the part people don't like. Do read the 'rant' thread - people pick the best teams...the ball hits the ref when I kick it at him...the keepers have dodgy moments.

These things happen.

Haven't simulated a beachball assisting a goal in a massive way though. Perhaps it's not the best simulation game afterall.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I would say it is the best football simulation game - and that's the part people don't like. Do read the 'rant' thread - people pick the best teams...the ball hits the ref when I kick it at him...the keepers have dodgy moments.

These things happen.

how can you call it "simulation" when it still possible to score easy goals from around midfield, score free kicks like they're penalties and have constant 1v1's with the keeper?

yes referees get hit (very rarely) and people have scored from half way etc. but fifa rams these things down your throat as if its the norm when clearly its not. then they dumb down passing so much that its stupidly easy to play through balls past even the best defences while making the ronaldo style "skilzzz":rolleyes: stupidly hard to pull off in a game.

obviously its impossible to get a perfect simulation of soccer but imo fifa has the basics backwards. defence splitting passes, tackling and shooting should take skill and thats why pes has always been the more accurate of the two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

brian plank, youve just earned a thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

After reading that fifa rant thread and playing the demo, I reckon my controller would be thrown against the wall. It has to be pro evo this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I started playing fifa in 08 and was always playing it with the view that it has potential and will get better. Pro ev hasn't really changed but fifa has shown it's true colours in 2010.

It's very hard for me to articulate why I don't like fifa...
    The game doesn't reward someone who has a football brain, it doesn't reward spotting a great pass, keeping players in position, reading the game etc. Players aren't penalised for playing instant passes all the time, no matter what way their player is facing. The dribbling is quite erratic, every time ye receive the ball ye don't know if your player is going to take that extra touch before proceeding or not.

Shooting is deeply unsatisfying and even when ye score a 'screamer' ye have to feign excitement because it just means nothing as there are very few tangible things ye can improve to score goals, it's basically just hit and hope. Lobs are as close to an auto-goal as you can get. No skill, no satisfaction.

75% of all shots seem to be from 1v1's against the goalkeeper. As I said before, turning off automatic switching so you can move players into better positions has no pay off. Pulling off 5 passes inside your opponents crowded box and scoring is ridiculous. The whole game feels like the input from the player is almost a facade.

Pro evo isn't fairing to much better, if at all.

The thing that pisses me off is I've no football game to play now that I've realised neither fifa nor pes are anywhere near good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

From what I've seen of both games PES seem to have really good graphics. It's a bit unfortunate though because it seems that Konami may have spent too much time on graphics instead of gameplay.

The gameplay in this years FIFA is fantastic. So fluent and plays like an absolute dream.

PES' gameplay on the other hand seems to be so blocky or something. Not very fluent and the ball moves too slow for my liking.

PES looks more impressive graphically than FIFA this year but to play PES is a bit of a nightmare at times.

If FIFA had PES' graphics it would be an incredible game or vice versa.

As for general sound FIFA wins hands down. The commentary is fantastic and is just like listening to real life commentary.
    PES has annoyed me with commentary and general sound for the last two or three years now. The really loud thud when a player kicks the ball is so irritating and the commentary this year seems to be the exact same as last years. Now I've only played PES 2010 for a maximum of an hour thus far so commentary may differ from match to match so I'll have to wait and see about that.

All in all FIFA for me is the better of the two. I wouldn't say it's a landslide victory because both games have their good points and flaws.

This is probably the best PES game for a while now. Great graphics but gameplay really does let it down. I've not tried online yet so I'm hoping Konami have a decent server this year.

FIFA has fantastic gameplay but graphically it's not that great. One thing that annoys me about FIFA this year is that some of the players look nothing like they're supposed to. Something that PES has done really well this year.
    Online is good fun especially with the Be A Pro Club Championship. There's a lot more features in FIFA than PES which is always good to have a bit of vairety.

I'd give FIFA 10 8/10
    and PES gets a 6/10

PES is currently €29.99 in Tesco so may be worth buying. Decent enough price.

Advertisement