Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting External Hard Drive to TV

• 21-10-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Just bought a new TV for myself, arriving tomorrow. Spec says it has a USB input. I'm just wondering can I connect an external hard drive to this and use it to watch films, tv shows etc? Would the quality be anyway reasonable and what kind of GUI can I expect?

If anyone has used these before I'd appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,932 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

**warning to anyone** that link is bandwidth heavy. PDF.
    Brilliant design, powerful performance.
    With superb picture and sound
    Experience brilliant performance with a HD 1366 x 768p display. Combined with a
    powerful Pixel Plus HD Engine and fantastic invisible sound, this Flat TV will never let you
    down.
    Vivid and razor sharp pictures
    • Pixel Plus HD for better details, depth and clarity
    • HD LCD display, with a 1366 x 768p resolution
    • 28.9 billion colours for brilliant natural images
    • Dynamic contrast 50000:1 for incredible rich black details
    Pure and lifelike sound
    • 2 x 10 W RMS audio power
    • Invisible speakers with incredible surround
    Easy to connect and enjoy
    • USB for fantastic multimedia playback
    • 3 HDMI inputs with Easylink for a full HD connection
    • PC-input allows you to use your TV as a PC monitor
    Ready for digital
    • MPEG4 HDTV reception via DVB-T and DVB-C tuner with CI+*
    USB (multimedia)
    The USB connector allows access to jpeg photos, MP3 music and video files on most USB sticks (USB memory-class device). Plug the USB into the slot on the side of the TV and access the multimedia content using the easy on-screen content browser. You can now view and share your videos, photos and music.

Tuner/Reception/Transmission
    •Aerial Input: 75 ohm coaxial (IEC75)
    •TV system: PAL I, PAL B/G, PAL D/K, SECAM B/G, SECAM D/K, SECAM L/L', DVB COFDM 2K/8K
    •Video Playback: NTSC, SECAM, PAL
    •DVB: DVB-T MPEG4*, DVB-C MPEG4*
    •Tuner bands: Hyperband, S-Channel, UHF, VHF
    It seems as though you can. No idea about GUI. You are best to leave the video files in the Root Directory (G:\ etc) for best results. This wont play DivX or .wmv or anything like that: Your video files MUST be encoded as MPEG-4 (.mp4) files.

Download a sample mp4 from here and see if it works:

http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~burkardt/data/mp4/mp4.html

Also be prepared that the problem might be the external hard drive. While it is usually a Mass Storage class device, it still may be unsupported by the TV. For best results try a plain USB memory stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Thanks Overheal

Advertisement