Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hells Angels Belfast Charter

Options
  • 21-10-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Having just finished Julian Shers excellent book on the international crime syndicate that is the Hells Angels.I stuck Hells Angels Ireland into google and was surprised to find out that a Belfast charter was established in 2007.

I didn,t think that Ireland had an outlaw biking culture and Belfast seems like a place with pretty well established rackets.I couldn,t see the HA muscling some of the most vicious,well armed,well organised and territorial hoods in europe around.But for whatever reason they,ve set up camp there.

Does anyone know much about them!.Do they draw recruits from both sides of the community or are they based more in one tradition!.Is it likely the franchise will expand to the rest of Ireland in time!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They spotted a niche market.

Violent intolerant criminals can siphon off exorbitant amounts of public money at will, assign ludicrous titles like volunteer or community organizer to themselves, and bunk off jail sentences early.

Result, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

But haven,t the local paramilitaries already cornered the "community organiser" market!!

jonsnow wrote: »
    But haven,t the local paramilitaries already cornered the "community organiser" market!!

One bearded lunatic is a good as another, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

stovelid wrote: »
    One bearded lunatic is a good as another, I guess.

is that a dig at mr g adams;)

Seriously though: having Hells Angels outside America just doesn't seem right somehow.

In the mind's eye, you can't exactly see them cruising up the M1 in the pissing rain and then going for a pint of Harp in a Wetherspoons, can you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

Im surprised they have a charter!!!

They normally have chapters and like their chapters and many MC chapters worldwide it will be full of all sorts whos members will be responding to their enviroment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

probably it will end up with a chapter of the Banditos,with both dividing along sectarian lines.the infrastructure is there already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

They are everywhere..and not to be trifled with no matter how quaint they might look.
    Here's a pretty good list of HAMC chapters although no mention of a belfast chapter
    http://www.hellsangelssaskatoon.ca/links.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    Seriously though: having Hells Angels outside America just doesn't seem right somehow.

In the mind's eye, you can't exactly see them cruising up the M1 in the pissing rain and then going for a pint of Harp in a Wetherspoons, can you?

When there's no rain, those would be the old fat blokes on their executive Harleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Outlaws have chapters in Ireland

I'd love to see what would happen if they ran into the Hell's Angels, a load of fat balding idiots slagging each other.. probably wouldn't be all that interesting actually

• Advertisement

The Outlaws have chapters in Ireland

I'd love to see what would happen if they ran into the Hell's Angels, a load of fat balding idiots slagging each other.. probably wouldn't be all that interesting actually

It wouldnt be pleasant..those fcuckers hate each other and both sides are very,very violent...however you cant win against Hells Angels..the have a lot of powerful friends and if you mess with them you're bunched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Bah, hells angels. The 1%ers are the true bikers. Or the Knights in Satan's Service. I'm head of the worldwide branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Degsy wrote: »
    It wouldnt be pleasant..those fcuckers hate each other and both sides are very,very violent...however you cant win against Hells Angels..the have a lot of powerful friends and if you mess with them you're bunched.

Jesus, guess you're right.. I thought the members over here would just be wannabes tbh..

from wiki
    On August 12, 2007, Hells Angel Gerry Tobin, a Canadian living in Mottingham, London, was shot dead returning from the Bulldog Bash festival held near Long Marston, South Warwickshire. He was singled out at random by members of the Outlaws. In November 2008, seven men, Sean Creighton, Simon Turner, Dane Garside, Dean Taylor, Malcolm Bull, Karl Garside and Ian Cameron, the entire Warwickshire Chapter, were convicted of his murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. The minimum terms before consideration of parole were between 25 and 30 years - a total of 191 years.[16]

In January 2008 there was a brawl between up to 30 of the rival gangs at Birmingham International Airport. Police recovered various weapons including Knuckledusters, hammers and a meat cleaver. Seven Outlaw members and five Hells Angels faced trial as a result.

crazy cnuts!

They are everywhere..and not to be trifled with no matter how quaint they might look.
    Here's a pretty good list of HAMC chapters although no mention of a belfast chapter
    http://www.hellsangelssaskatoon.ca/links.html

Thats one of the main points of the author of angels of death.He says that they are always viewed as a bit of a joke by law enforcement when they first set up.They have a genius for setting up in areas where there is no serious organised crime and creating a stranglehold in those areas.The author said something like "they create a cocaine epidemic where there was none and give troublemakers a gang to join where there was none".But Belfast doesn,t fit this scenario.

Internationally the Biker gangs are spreading like a virus and have largely taken over from the mafia in the states and especially Canada.Many of these bikers are stockbrokers,pilots and other white collar professionals. I came across some in a bar in Kelowna Canada and was surprised at how clean cut and wellbehaved they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Luke Kelly

There was the scandanavian war a few year's back with the biker's from the state's , i think 8 or 9 were killed but as far as i know now they are not in ireland but there are irish biker's . A biker mate of mine who's now locked up was telling me that a few year's ago two hell's angel's drove up on their bike's to a bike show in limerick demanding money and using the hell's angel's name as a scare tactic but it failed and they were shot an stabbed and the limerick biker's bet the crap out of them , but they didnt kill them just left them in a bad way like .

Luke Kelly wrote: »
    There was the scandanavian war a few year's back with the biker's from the state's , i think 8 or 9 were killed but as far as i know now they are not in ireland but there are irish biker's . A biker mate of mine who's now locked up was telling me that a few year's ago two hell's angel's drove up on their bike's to a bike show in limerick demanding money and using the hell's angel's name as a scare tactic but it failed and they were shot an stabbed and the limerick biker's bet the crap out of them , but they didnt kill them just left them in a bad way like .

The war involved rocket launchers and bombs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Internationally the Biker gangs are spreading like a virus and have largely taken over from the mafia in the states and especially Canada.Many of these bikers are stockbrokers,pilots and other white collar professionals. I came across some in a bar in Kelowna Canada and was surprised at how clean cut and wellbehaved they were.

The stockbrokers and middle management types aren't members of the Hells Angels though - they're more into trailering their bikes everywhere, dressing up in all the authorised Harley accessories, and occasionally managing to clock up a few miles on the bike, generally to their "biker" bar where they hang out with all the other middle managers. They belong to clubs maybe, but they're not "one percenters"

MikeC101 wrote: »
    The stockbrokers and middle management types aren't members of the Hells Angels though - they're more into trailering their bikes everywhere, dressing up in all the authorised Harley accessories, and occasionally managing to clock up a few miles on the bike, generally to their "biker" bar where they hang out with all the other middle managers. They belong to clubs maybe, but they're not "one percenters"

No I am on about guys that are in the 1%ers and are white collar professionals.This was specifically mentioned in the book.In one famous incident a HA who raped,beat and cut off the head of a woman was a stockbroker.The guys I saw in Canada were very clean cut but they were Hells Angels.They were wearing their jackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Altamont was pretty darn hardcore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

No I am on about guys that are in the 1%ers and are white collar professionals.This was specifically mentioned in the book.In one famous incident a HA who raped,beat and cut off the head of a woman was a stockbroker.The guys I saw in Canada were very clean cut but they were Hells Angels.They were wearing their jackets.

Seriously? Wow, when did this start happening. Granted, my most recent knowledge of the hells angels has been through Hunter S Thompsons book and occasional episodes of "Sons of Anarchy" :D

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Seriously? Wow, when did this start happening. Granted, my most recent knowledge of the hells angels has been through Hunter S Thompsons book and occasional episodes of "Sons of Anarchy" :D

They,ve mutated considerbly since then.The stockbroker murder happened in 2001.The white collar guys use their skills to launder money etc. for the club.They are way more organised then people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Windsor chapter bought a house in the town to use as a club house. Because of the complaints by neighbours the mortgage company called in the loan to avoid any bad publicity. The chapter came up with cash in a few days and the reason given was that a lot of them were, indeed, well paid middle management type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

In the late 1980's I lived in London and each Saturday night I would go to a pub in Camden town called The Caernarvon Castle to see a Cajun band called The Poor Boys who had had a residency there for about 10 years. A great place it was. There was Hells Angels employed as bouncers and I can assure you that no bad s**t ever happened while they were there to keep the peace.

I got to know the president of the chapter and really he seemed to be OK from what I could tell. The Hells Angels, I, and one or two trusted others were the only people who would be served our beer in a glass - prior to them being employed as bouncers a guy had had his throat cut with a broken glass in the same pub.

On several occasions at the end of the night when a group of girls were taking a bit too long to leave I watched as the president of the chapter would approach the girls table, take a cigarette out of a box, and ask one of the girls for a light. After a bit of chit-chat he would leave their table having left what appeared to be an empty cigarette box behind him.
    shortly thereafter the girls would start shouting and screaming, grab their coats, and be gone - the sight of the president's pet tarantula as it emerged on eight hairy legs from the cigarette box onto the table was enough to scare them into leaving.:D

Prior to making The Caernarvon Castle my regular haunt on a Saturday night I used to frequent another bar in the West End just off Cambridge Circus, but I eventually gave up going there, partially because I would sometimes be hassled by this wannabe biker guy, and also for the fact that the clientele of the place had changed. Well, a few months later I'm The Caernarvon Castle one Saturday night standing at the bar when Mr. Wannabe Biker comes in, and it's not long 'till he says something to me. But when he saw me talking to the Hells Angels a little while later he left the place and I never saw him there again.:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

In Australia the biker gangs control the drug trade and kill each other regularly!

Australia's outlaw motorcycle gangs used to have a code by which they prosecuted their bloody turf wars and avoided publicity about their criminal activities: not at home, not at work and not in front of women or children. But on March 22, in the terminal of one of Australia's busiest airports, two of the gangs rewrote the code in blood when one gang member was bashed to death in front of horrified bystanders, women and children included.

The killing was just one of a series of "bikie" murders and shootings in the past few weeks that has sparked widespread fear in Sydney and elsewhere. Police are concerned that a new and more deadly generation of "one-percenters" — as the bikies like to call themselves, because they believe they are part of a tiny group outside the law — has taken over. As a result, the police want stricter laws to allow them to crack down on the gangs. (See pictures of gangs in New Zealand.)

The latest trouble began on Flight 430 to Sydney last Sunday. Aboard the plane was a group of heavily tattooed and muscled men who appeared agitated and were sending text messages from their cell phones, according to other passengers. The men were bikies from two of Australia's most feared gangs — the Comancheros and the Hells Angels, both of which had been in the southern city of Melbourne attending, ironically enough, a so-called peace summit.

As soon as the men deplaned, they began pushing and shoving one another before launching into a wild brawl that raged through Sydney's domestic terminal, bowling over a baby in a stroller and into the secure check-in area, where waiting associates joined in. In front of horrified passengers, one of the brawlers was allegedly knocked to the ground, and with what was described as a sickening "crunch" fatally bashed in the head with a steel post used to mark passenger lines. As the man lay dying in a pool of blood, the mob fled in taxis. One group was picked up by police in Sydney's south; four men have been charged with affray, or group-fighting in a public place that puts bystanders in danger. (See pictures of wildfires devastating Australia.)

The following night, a volley of shots peppered a Sydney home in what police fear was another biker-gang-related incident. Then on Tuesday afternoon, two men, one of whom was a member of the Rebels bikie gang, were shot dead in a suburban home in Australia's capital, Canberra, a town not renowned for violent shooting murders.

Police ruled out a link between the Canberra killing and the airport incident, but investigations into other attacks are continuing. The violence has triggered outrage and calls for harsher penalties as well as criticism of law-enforcement agencies for failing to crack down on the gangs earlier. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who was in the U.S. at the time of the attacks, said the behavior was "unacceptable in Australia, absolutely unacceptable." (See pictures of fighting crime in Mexico City.)

The government of New South Wales has established a task force of 75 officers to track the bike gangs. It is also pondering the introduction of new laws to declare illegal membership in or association with particular clubs. "These groups are behaving like wild animals — uncivilized and with no regard for our community. If they behave like this, then we have no choice but to hunt them down and deal with them," an angry New South Wales police commissioner, Andrew Scipione, told reporters. Scipione has defended the police record in dealing with gangs. He says that in the past six months, 185 gang members and associates have been charged with 572 offenses, most of them related to violence, drugs and weapons.

But the violence looks unlikely to abate anytime soon. Bikie gang expert and criminologist Arthur Veno, a professor at Monash University in Melbourne, says the step-up in violence is happening because of the rise of Notorious, a younger gang that has muscled in on established gangs' turf in Sydney. "This new gang doesn't have the traditional rules of engagement that the bikies share among themselves," he says. "The war has broadened from the issue of a simple battle over the issue of the drug pyramid. It has now spilled into the long-term affiliations between clubs and has allowed old conflicts to surface." Veno says the gangs had been trying to broker a peace to head off the plans for new laws banning their existence. "[Notorious] have made an outrageous move of hitting people coming from peace talks that could have saved their bacon." (See pictures of Australia rescuing its koalas.)

An Australian Crime Commission report this year revealed that 3,300 outlaw motorcycle-gang members are active in Australia, with 19 of 39 gangs operating in New South Wales. In the lead-up to Sunday's attack, a series of suspected bikie-related crimes had raged across the state capital, Sydney, including a drive-by shooting that occurred just hours before the airport attack that left two men injured and seven homes damaged. In February, the Hells Angels' clubhouse was bombed.

This is not the first time gang-related violence has shocked Australia. In the parking lot of a tavern in western Sydney 25 years ago, the Comancheros and the Bandidos went at each other in a shoot-out that left seven people, including a female bystander, dead and the community stunned. Australians hope those days haven't returned.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1888288,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Hells Angels were set up as a breakaway from the Chosen Few who were a part of the Alliance set up about 10 Years ago to try and keep international patch clubs out of the country. The Chosen Few had up until recent links to both the Alliance and HAMC on their website but now only has links to its own chapters and the Alliance.

There is now eight MC clubs in the country, Outlaws, HAMC, Brotherhood, Chosen Few, Disciples, Vikings, Wheelers, and the (Reapers) Tramps in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Having just finished Julian Shers excellent book on the international crime syndicate that is the Hells Angels.I stuck Hells Angels Ireland into google and was surprised to find out that a Belfast charter was established in 2007.

I didn,t think that Ireland had an outlaw biking culture and Belfast seems like a place with pretty well established rackets.I couldn,t see the HA muscling some of the most vicious,well armed,well organised and territorial hoods in europe around.But for whatever reason they,ve set up camp there.

Does anyone know much about them!.Do they draw recruits from both sides of the community or are they based more in one tradition!.Is it likely the franchise will expand to the rest of Ireland in time!.

Hells Angels do not in general have a charter in the Republic anymore - we have Alliance MC Ireland to thank for that ...... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

where's the citizen to protect the denizens of boards?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

The war involved rocket launchers and bombs too!

RPGs where fired at a club house i beleave...

theres an interesting book called Gangs Bye Tony Thompson that cover a good amount on them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If bikers are all so tough then why do they have to be part of a gang who's dress code is more Blue Oyster than barbarian? Its a bit like gangster rappers being macho by making up nursery rhymes and singing threats at their emenies.

Advertisement