Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for advice from people who have flown to bangkok?

• 21-10-2009 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can give some advice please!! :)

My boyfriend is booking a 3 month trip to Thailand at the moment! He is looking into all the flight options at the moment and has narrowed the search down to the following:

From Cork to London
    London to Bangkok
    Total travel time is 16 hours going out and coming back the total is 17 hours! The price on this is around €997 in total!!

Or

From Cork to London
    London to Kuala Lumpur
    Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok
    Total travel time is 19h 45m going over and coming back its 25h! It's a bit cheaper it works out around €798!!

What I would like to ask from people who have travelled to bangkok before, is a €200 saving worth the difference in time travelling and the extra stop over?? Any advice appreciated.. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 manbadger

what airlines are you flying with.25 hours return from kuala lump is alot of flying time.have to say i'd go with thne more expensive flight.thats the route i took

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

The 1 stop one is with British Airways!

The 2 stop one is with Air Malaysian Airlines

The total travel time includes the flight from Cork to London and the waiting time between flights! I agree that it seems like an awful lot of hassle for the sake of an extra €200 but I thought it would be good to hear from people who did it!! :) Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

If you have 3 months, you could stay in KL and head up to Thailand, KL is the main hub for Air Asia which is cheap and reliable. I'm presuming you'll be travelling around all of Thailand anyway and the main tourist islands are midway between KL and Bangkok.

If you're planning on going straight to Bangkok then €200 cheaper for the sake of 4 hours and an extra flight seems to be well worth it, €200 will go a long way in Thailand.

Also try around with various dates and sites (e,g, expedia.ie, skyscanner.net, opodo.co.uk) to see if you can get there cheaper, a day or two each way can make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

www.cheaptickets.com

would he consider flying our from Dublin? I think its alot more direct from there and alot cheaper! Search the above site to see if you can get a good deal!

Todd Gack wrote: »
    If you have 3 months, you could stay in KL and head up to Thailand, KL is the main hub for Air Asia which is cheap and reliable. I'm presuming you'll be travelling around all of Thailand anyway and the main tourist islands are midway between KL and Bangkok.

If you're planning on going straight to Bangkok then €200 cheaper for the sake of 4 hours and an extra flight seems to be well worth it, €200 will go a long way in Thailand.

Also try around with various dates and sites (e,g, expedia.ie, skyscanner.net, opodo.co.uk) to see if you can get there cheaper, a day or two each way can make a big difference.

Thanks for the info!
    He won't actually be travelling around, he needs to get to phuket where he will be staying for the 3 months so maybe flying to KL is not a good idea!!!
    Thanks for recommending those sites too, we hadn't checked expedia and managed to get Cork to London, London to Bangkok for €789!! :D So thanks for that!!!

chillywilly, thanks for the reply! Dublin isn't really more direct, you still need to make at least 1 stop and coming from cork to dublin is another one! It's a little bit cheaper but not enough to make up for travelling to dublin! We made the mistake of travelling from Dublin before, going out is fine but when you come back you just want to be home and not have to face the journey down to Cork!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Those prices are very expensive, about twice as much as my flights were last year.

www.expedia.co.uk

I got flights form there last year for 495euro

Dublin -> London
    London -> Dubai
    Dubai -> Bangkok

They are expensive but maybe it's just the time of year he is travelling!! Flying out in November, coming back in January!!
    What dates did you fly last year Frisbee if you don't mind me asking?

Cheapest we have found now has been with Expedia for the €782.62! That's 4th November to 5th Febuary! It's €802 from Dublin on the same dates! Played around with a few other dates too but the price always comes back around this figure, sometimes a lot more!! Rang Sayit and Usit and flights are closer to the 1k mark!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Air Asia fly direct from KL to Phuket so mightn't be a bad option if you can get cheaper flights.

Advertisement