Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit Card stamp duty

Options
  • 21-10-2009 5:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

I requested a laser card in August and having used it, now wish to close the account. Am I liable for the government stamp duty of €5?

Revenue states that "If you close your account before 31 December in a year you will not be charged stamp duty because the duty is collected on cards which are valid on 31 December each year."

Can someone confirm that this was the case for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you are. I don't think that statement is meant to imply that if you only hold a card 1 January - 30 December each year that you won't be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You only get away without paying if you haven't actually used the card for a transaction.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You might only be liable for €2.50

I think the policy is (open to correction) that it's €2.50 if the card is used in ATMs, or €5 if the card is used as an ATM card and a POS card. If you have never used the card in an ATM, there might be a chance you will only be charged €2.50 for the debit card function of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Is the amount due not in ratio of amount of time active in a year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I sent an email to Revenue about it and they responded super quick confiming that you'll only be charged stamp duty on debit cards if they are valid on 31 December, as outlined in the link.
    So based on my circumstances as outlined earlier, I won't be eligible for the forfeiture of €5

• Advertisement
Advertisement