Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest against trade union action

Options
  • 21-10-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Would you support/participate in a march/demonstration against the proposed industrial action being planned by trade unions against pay cuts?

(wanted to post a poll but can remember how to)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Sandwich wrote: »
    Would you support/participate in a march/demonstration against the proposed industrial action being planned by trade unions against pay cuts?
    Will the private sector employers give the staff time off and will they march behind banners identifying which companies they work for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Irish people don't protest.

In fact, we should admire the unions for galvanising protests.

Why would you want to stage a protest against the union one? Just let them on with their job. They have a mandate to protect their members, including their members' wages.

If you worked for a union, that's what you would be doing.

Btw, I don't work for a union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Workers vs Workers. Just what the government and corporations want. If the little guys are fighting each other, they wont be fighting us. Game over.
    I do hope for the sake of this country that you have no position of power, influence or authority otherwise I do despair for our future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Well something needs to be done to stop the militant trade unions from destroying the country (yes I know the banks/FF have already ruined the country but these strikes will destroy it completely!). As has been said the private sector workers would not get the time of for it so that would seem to put an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Brilliant idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Fcuk the trade unions........I've seen enough on how much they earn compared to other countries in Europe.

There has to be cuts, that's a fact. We're losing jobs, also a fact.

Most people would kill for a job in the public sector doing the "work" they do.

My uncle is a public sector worker and does SFA.

I know some public sector workers work hard, I'm sure lots do, but it's a sweet number for most.

I hope the government deals with this in the correct way and if they do I'll vote for them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Workers vs Workers. Just what the government and corporations want. If the little guys are fighting each other, they wont be fighting us. Game over.
    I do hope for the sake of this country that you have no position of power, influence or authority otherwise I do despair for our future.

I'm with the government and against the unions....not worker Vs Worker

Private Sector and Government Vs Unions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

So the government and the private sector innocent victims and the unions the big bad wolf?

You've been well hoodwinked by cowan and co!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Im willing to bet my cushy civil service pension that this will come to nothing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are very powerful unions in some private companies too you know.
    Causing much the same issues you'll see in any public service office or department

It isn't just a public service issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Most people would kill for a job in the public sector

or they could visit www.publicjobs.ie and spare a life

Ireland is the equivalent of a ship that has been holed below the waterline with the private sector workers below deck frantically trying to plug the hole and using buckets to remove the water, meanwhile up on deck the public sector workers are still partying on and going about their business as if nothing has happened!

By striking they are punching more holes into the ship and we will sink faster, drowning us all in the process with only the faint hope of the IMF to throw us some life jackets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Koloman wrote: »
    Ireland is the equivalent of a ship that has been holed below the waterline with the private sector workers below deck frantically trying to plug the hole and using buckets to remove the water, meanwhile up on deck the public sector workers are still partying on and going about their business as if nothing has happened!

By striking they are punching more holes into the ship and we will sink faster, drowning us all in the process with only the faint hope of the IMF to throw us some life jackets!

Or another way of looking at it is that 20% of those plugging the holes have been made redundant and cannot find anything else to do on the ship, 60% are spending their time whining at those apparently on the upper deck living the high life and the other 20% are working hard keeping us all alive, while the ship is being steered aimlessly by Napoleon and his cronies who have had first class tickets for the whole journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

so it will be a non unionised private sector/unemployed protest against the trade union action

yeah i will have some of that and we would have the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

You didn't mention the bankers, politicians and property developers who holed the ship...presumably they're already in the lifeboats?
    the faint hope of the IMF to throw us some life jackets!
    They come later to salvage and sell off the hull for scrap.

Well sure if everyone is with the government why is everyone complaining about them. Sure there not that bad :rolleyes:

And your wrong because its more of this private vs public tripe we have been hearing for months. The big bad public sector who have destroyed this country led by their political masters in the unions. Gimme a break.

I dont agree with the protests because I believe we all have to share the burden and the public sector have to be included in that. But get it right they didnt cause this mess, they are not to solution to all the problems and they have been demonised by the government and the media. It seems to of worked on you. Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

The people slagging off the public sector should bear in mind that public servants have already taken 2 pay cuts in the past year. If we get hit a third time while non-residents (purely for tax purposes) are strolling round I'll go mental. Anyone calling for my pay to be cut again is naive if they believe I'll take it lying down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

yes yes and yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

doc_17 wrote: »
    The people slagging off the public sector should bear in mind that public servants have already taken 2 pay cuts in the past year. If we get hit a third time while non-residents (purely for tax purposes) are strolling round I'll go mental. Anyone calling for my pay to be cut again is naive if they believe I'll take it lying down.

that every ps worker has taken a pay cut is merley a statistic , you could have taken several pay cuts and still be much better paid than those in the private sector , everything is relative

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

How original, another anti public sector thread.

• Advertisement

irish_bob wrote: »
    that every ps worker has taken a pay cut is merley a statistic , you could have taken several pay cuts and still be much better paid than those in the private sector , everything is relative

Why should people take pay cuts lying down when the banks who caused part of this mess are giving wage increases to employes despite being propped up by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

*in a soft soothing voice* hi, Koloman, please put your story book down now. it's time to come back to reality. there, that wasn't so difficult, was it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Yes, I would strongly protest against public sector strikes. The country simply cannot afford to maintain public sector wages and salaries. It is unfortunate, because I know the public service has suffered already, but so has the private sector.

In my opinion, public servants tend to bring out the bankers/developers argument when their pay is threatened. But these people have to remember that the private sector is not made up solely of bankers. What about the checkout worker in Dunnes Stores, the secretary in the local accountant's office, the sales assistant in Champion Sports? These people make up the vast, vast majority of the private sector. And they have suffered, are suffering, and will continue to suffer just as badly as any public sector worker.

Of course, the public sector has the right to strike. But it will receive absolutely no sympathy from the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

You didn't mention the bankers, politicians and property developers who holed the ship...presumably they're already in the lifeboats?

They come later to salvage and sell off the hull for scrap.

There is little point, at this stage, at whinging about what has happened. What we really need is a revolution, although that's unlikely to happen because in Ireland what we do is whinge and wring our hands, but untimately go with the flow and do nothing.

My guess is that the politicians who have milked the system for hundreds of thousands that the rest of us have to fund will, as usual, be re-elected, probably on increased majorities.

How shameful is that as a reflection on the type of society in which we live?

*in a soft soothing voice* hi, Koloman, please put your story book down now. it's time to come back to reality. there, that wasn't so difficult, was it?:rolleyes:

I assume you work for the public sector with a patronising comment like that!

Well it's time to come down from your lofty tower and see what us mere mortals in the private sector are having to cope with on a daily basis.

Wage cuts, redundancy, no overtime and (something you guys have never heard of) having to do more with less.

I am well in touch with reality as I see it in my colleagues faces every day! Are you? I think I know the answer to that already.

so it will be a non unionised private sector/unemployed protest against the trade union action

yeah i will have some of that and we would have the numbers

As far as I could remember, the majority of Irish people still have jobs. Also, there are quite a lot of unionised people in the private sector aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I assume you work for the public sector with a patronising comment like that!

Well it's time to come down from your lofty tower and see what us mere mortals in the private sector are having to cope with on a daily basis.

Wage cuts, redundancy, no overtime and (something you guys have never heard of) having to do more with less.

I am well in touch with reality as I see it in my colleagues faces every day! Are you? I think I know the answer to that already.

wow, your generic soundbite rant is quite amusing. what a bitter person you are Koloman, and no, i'm not in the Public sector.;)

wow, your generic soundbite rant is quite amusing. what a bitter person you are Koloman, and no, i'm not in the Public sector.;)

Yep! Your right! This is one BIG LAUGH, isn't it!rolleyes.gif Let's all have a big chuckle at the 400,000 who are unemployed! It's a great bit of gas when you can't pay your mortgage!mad.gif

Public sector workers don't have to worry about this as they are guaranteed a job and have very little chance of getting the sack.

They could at least appear to be a bit more humble in this economic crisis and to not threaten the country with ruin with a series of strikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Why should people take pay cuts lying down when the banks who caused part of this mess are giving wage increases to employes despite being propped up by the state.

Giving agreed wage increases to staff below management level.
    Your average bank cashier is about as responsible for the current mess as a public service clerical officer.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Giving agreed wage increases to staff below management level.
    Your average bank cashier is about as responsible for the current mess as a public service clerical officer.

So you might see how a clerical officer may be a tad annoyed to have their pay docked and that money to be pumped in to the banks and given as a payrise to their equivelant?

Advertisement