Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest against trade union action

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Yes

Thats great

A few months of no wages would also mean a few months of no policing, no health service, no social welfare, no transport etc. effectively the end of civilised society in Ireland.

A wonderful private sector solution to our woes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

aftermn wrote: »
    Yes

Thats great

A few months of no wages would also mean a few months of no policing, no health service, no social welfare, no transport etc. effectively the end of civilised society in Ireland.

A wonderful private sector solution to our woes

All those services are ridiculously underfunded anyway except maybe social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

thebman wrote: »
    All those services are ridiculously underfunded anyway except maybe social welfare.

Rediculously overfunded i wouldve thought:
    - we all desire better services and to help everyone needing help in society. But you can only fund what you can afford. If you havent the money you cant have the service.
    - I doubt any objective assessment would consider the Irish public service system efficient or value for money (which isnt to say there are lots of dedicated people working very hard in it either - more a systemic inefficiency that is the nature of public service everywhere)

So we are putting more money into it than we can afford, and getting bad value for what we do put into it.

Anyway: didnt mean to get into public/private, unionised/nonunionised topic, right to strike/protest etc.

Original point was to see how many people object to the aggressive position being taken by trade unions. Does their hardline stance really represent the desires of the majority of workers(whether members of a union or not) in Ireland - or is it a portion of the population behaving either selfishly/irrationally/emotionally, and exploiting a stressed economic and political situation. And making the situation as a whole worse as a result - but beneficial to a select grouping at the expense of the rest.

The non union section is by definition less visible or vocal. Just curious to see if there is any support for that sector to display its view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Absurdum wrote: »
    *yawn*:rolleyes:

yeh thats not what your children are gonna be saying when they slave away to pay for the bills you are running up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

thebman wrote: »

a complete and uttery myth , they are not underfunded , they are malfunded , all the money goes on wages

if i spent all my money on a fancy pair of wellingtons and had no money left for a rod , could i still say i was underfuned for going fishing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Absurdum wrote: »
    *yawn*:rolleyes:

I presume you are describing what the public service employee's are doing at their desks all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

As a unionised private sector worker I will be marching in the upcoming protest.
    I have no doubt that the private sector employers will use any pay cuts in the Public Sector as an excuse to further reduce wages in the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

deise blue wrote: »
    As a unionised private sector worker I will be marching in the upcoming protest.
    I have no doubt that the private sector employers will use any pay cuts in the Public Sector as an excuse to further reduce wages in the private sector.

erm the government doesnt pay you

protest away

the money is simply not there

banging head against wall would produce more exciting results

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    erm the government doesnt pay you

protest away

the money is simply not there

banging head against wall would produce more exciting results
    Of course the Government don't pay me as I work in the private sector , what point are you trying to make ?
    It's a question of how we raise the amount required , would it not be better to revamp the taxation system in order to achieve this , after all if it is the contention that public sector workers earn more then they will also pay more tax , I would also suggest that the CGT rate should be doubled and a wealth tax introduced.
    People will of course contend that we can't tax our way out of this crisis but cutting public sector pay is going to have a huge negative effect on the economy.
    In any event this Government is going to raise taxes directly or indirectly over the next couple of years.
    It might be an idea to collect the uncollected taxes of 1.8 billion that are currently in the system !
    As for the non effect of public protest - just think back to the medical card debacle !

Advertisement