Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commissioner's Consession

Options
  • 21-10-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

I've just heard that there was a meeting today with the Garda Commissioner and the fcp .
    Basicly the Commissioner was not aware of the problems people were having getting sub's done on their licences.
    The Commissioner has agreed now to allow a consession for people who have bought guns but cannot get the sub done on their licence extension to go to their local station and get the sub done.
    This will be carried out in the same manner as before when the local fo would cross out the old number and write in the new one and new brand and then stamp the extension letter.
    This is great news for people that have handed in guns and cannot get out their new ones for the coming season.
    It will also help to get the trade up and running again.
    So fair play to everyone involved good work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

am in that boat bought a new shotgun and cant get my hands on it are you sure about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

CZ. wrote: »
    am in that boat bought a new shotgun and cant get my hands on it are you sure about this

Got it from an extremely good source

thanks for that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Here are the full details:
    The Commissioner has now agreed to allow the substitution of a firearm on EXTENDED firearm certificates ONLY. This will only be allowed for Non Restricted shotguns and Rifles and the substitutions will only be valid for the duration of the extended licence. All Superintendents and Chief Superintendents have been informed of this decision this evening 21st October 2009.

So just bear in mind that it's Non Restricted Rifles and Shotguns only.

btw, full credit to the Garda Firearms Policy Unit for acting on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

foxhunter wrote: »
    .................The Commissioner has agreed now to allow a consession for people who have bought guns but cannot get the sub done on their licence extension to go to their local station and get the sub done..............So fair play to everyone involved good work.

+1. Great news. When i told my dealer that i got my licenses and others are starting to get theirs aswell i could actually hear the sigh of relief across the showroom. It will be welcome news for the shooters and even more welcome news for the dealers.

Again well done to all concerned.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

To the Commissioner,

Thanks very much for applying an ounce of common sense and goodwill.

another load of bull **** they take your extension letter put your new firearm details on it and send it of to were ever then ya get a new extension letter back when i asked how long as all ways they dont no :mad:

CZ. wrote: »
    another load of bull **** they take your extension letter put your new firearm details on it and send it of to were ever then ya get a new extension letter back when i asked how long as all ways they dont no :mad:

Try these lads they may be able to shed some light on it for you Firearms policy Unit 016661911

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tried that number six times today...Premantly engaged:mad: ,or the phone is off the hook!:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Tried that number six times today...Premantly engaged:mad: ,or the phone is off the hook!:(

i was talking to them on tuesday so you will get them eventually , i was also talking to a firearms officer tonight who said that there are so many guns that the gardai don't know are restricted or not that she is ringing them a good few times a day , so i'd say every station in the country is the same .

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Try this one then Grizzly 01661924

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You're short a number there foxhunter. Would it be 01-6661924
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

ezridax wrote: »

666 would have to be in it somewhere. :eek::eek::eek:

ezridax wrote: »

That would be it alright sorry about that:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I've posted this elsewhere, but it really needs to be said that it's no surprise that the number is permanently engaged. You need to bring your query to your NGB who will take it to the FPU on your behalf. This was agreed at the beginning to avoid the situation developing to the point that it grinds to a halt.

It seems people are phoning up that number with the most inane queries that would have easily been dealt with by their NGB.

I'm not saying your query is inane, but there are people ringing to see if their licences have been issued. If you want to know that, talk to your local. It's your Super that will make the decision and he'll have no problem telling your FO what that decision is if you ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

From the NARGC Website
    GARDA COMMISSIONER AMENDS POSITION ON FIREARM SUBSTITUTIONS

We are pleased to announce that as and from 21st October 2009, after a meeting between the Garda Commissioner and Gardai from the Firearms Policy Unit who explained to him the serious problems being encountered by the shooting community and the gun trade, the Commissioner has now agreed to allow the substitution of a firearm on the EXTENDED firearm certificates ONLY. This will only be allowed for Non Restricted shotguns and rifles and the substitutions will only be valid for the duration of the extended licence. All Superintendents and Chief Superintendents have been informed of this decision on 21st October. This welcome amendment to the administration of the new firearms system follows intense lobbying by the NARGC and other associations, including the gun trade. In making this gesture, the Commissioner has recognised the genuine difficulties being encountered by all.

This will alleviate many of the problems currently being encountered on the ground regarding lack of sales by gun dealers and access to new guns for which sports shooters have already made payment. It should be noted that where new applications were made, instead of waiting for the extension period to expire, those applications (which are already in the system) will continue to be processed as new applications.

Advertisement