Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

None meat gravy

Options
  • 21-10-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have invited a vegetarian for sunday lunch, I intend on cooking a full roast (giving the vegetarian a non meat option) with roasted veg for everyone

however how do i overcome the gravy- obviously i want everyone to have gravy with their veg, does anyone have a recipe for vegetarian-friendly gravy?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Gravy with veg???

Hmmm...

I dunno what you're cooking, but I'd consider taking a slightly different approach...do something like leek in bechemel sauce as one of your veg, and/or potato gratin dauphinoise. That way, you get away without needing a gravy...there's enough thick, umptuous liquids on the plate.

Alternately, do something like a gravy-boat of sauce bearnaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

AFAIK Bisto has no meat products in it.
    Let the meat eaters have proper gravy and the vegan can have bisto!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.orgran.com/product-information/packet-mixes.html

Orgran. Any big or well stocked supermarket should have some of its products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Knorr savoury gravy (I looked for a google image but couldn't find one) is available in most supermarkets. It is the best instant gravy I've ever had. It comes in a tin sealed with foil, with a red plastic lid. It's quite expensive, around the €3 mark for the 185g tin if I recall correctly. However it is suitable for vegetarians, has no msg or artificial flavours or colours, and most importantly, it tastes good without meat juices added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

You could try reducing some red wine, adding a small amount of strong vegetable stock and then adding some Bisto?

• Advertisement
Advertisement