Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone done the prefect training day

Options
  • 21-10-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

we had a guy who came to talk abt leadership and divided us into groups and made a car & bridge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I did at the start of the year. It was such a laugh and i got to know everyone really well. Basically it was just a day to get to know eachother so we would gel as a group and then we talked about what we thought we'd get out of it and what to do in certain situations. We all had to make a show of ourselfs by dancing and acting and i had a ball.
    Also found out i had a first year class and we got our badges :D
    I love being a prefect, love the class and even though it's a lot of work its well worth it.
    How come you only had your training day today? Have you not been a prefect since the start of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

I did at the start of the year. It was such a laugh and i got to know everyone really well. Basically it was just a day to get to know eachother so we would gel as a group and then we talked about what we thought we'd get out of it and what to do in certain situations. We all had to make a show of ourselfs by dancing and acting and i had a ball.
    Also found out i had a first year class and we got our badges :D
    I love being a prefect, love the class and even though it's a lot of work its well worth it.
    How come you only had your training day today? Have you not been a prefect since the start of the year?
    yea we have been prefects seen the start and got the badges but dis day was for leadership training

ah right, did you like it?

ah right, did you like it?
    yea but tiring!
    what abt u?

yeah i loved it, a bit embarassing though! She said that if we could make a show of oursleves infront of everyone we could do anything ;)
    So it was worth it in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Excuse my ignorance, but what does a prefect do? I thought it was only something in Harry Potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Cian92 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does a prefect do? I thought it was only something in Harry Potter.

Herd first years, organise things (Graduation), get lumped with work that year heads dont want to do.

I was basically one last year.

In my school you are put with a partner and given a class to look after. Basically you get to know the class, make sure everyone's okay. If anyone has any problems and they don't want to go to a teacher they come to you. Its a 'big sister' role : ) We organise events in the schools like sports days, talent shows and fundraisers and make the school a better place to be in :) It's a lot of work but your not alone and i've had a ball already.

we have different types of prefects,like the ones for the classes 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th and 6th,they take care for the younger students and take rolls.Then the library,labs,computer and sports prefect

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

There should really be a thread on the brilliance of prefects.....we really should be held up for what we are, Gods among Insects,haha.:D
    I like being a prefect,chatting to the first years and getting a bit of respect from the teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

All of the above, and a really cool badge :D

Plus, it looks awesome on your CV apparently!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

None of the prefects in my school are taking it seriously and shouldn't have been picked in the first place cos they are far from mature and capable. Being a prefect it just something to put on your CV as far as I'm concerned...

To become a prefect we had to write letters, have interviews and have assesments written about us by all of the staff. It was taken pretty seriously in my school and if we don't perform well or set a good example we're out! No exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

The selection process was very serious in my school too but there were a few prefects picked who shouldn't have been...

I must be lucky then, in my school all the prefects are grand. No problems yet but most of the prefects did 4th year and we all know eachother really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

In my school you are put with a partner and given a class to look after. Basically you get to know the class, make sure everyone's okay. If anyone has any problems and they don't want to go to a teacher they come to you. Its a 'big sister' role : ) We organise events in the schools like sports days, talent shows and fundraisers and make the school a better place to be in :) It's a lot of work but your not alone and i've had a ball already.

You sound like you were in my school, drumcondra by any chance? lovely blue uniforms?

Prefects are held at a very high esteem in our school...it was possibly the highlight of my 6th year. it was such a great part of 6th year!! loved every single minute of it!
    whatever prefects in your school do, make the most of it the year flies and you dont want to look back on it and have done nothing, being a prefect is what you make of it, if your half a*sed about it you wont enjoy it if you put a lot into it make a connection with your class or whatever you are prefect of it will make a big difference

and to dancing queen, talent show is the best part of the year...you get sooo stressed but make sure your class enjoy doing it from the very beginning otherwise your wasting your time and their time!!

Your spot on, and I absolutely love being everything about being a prefect aswel:D. I love the class i was given and getting to know all of the girls, it's getting better by the day.
    I also can not wait for the Talent show, have millions of ideas (although its the classes decision:rolleyes:) and am so excited to start it!
    And the blue uniforms are quite something aren't they? lol
    Thanks for the advice RandomIrl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

Your spot on, and I absolutely love being everything about being a prefect aswel:D. I love the class i was given and getting to know all of the girls, it's getting better by the day.
    I also can not wait for the Talent show, have millions of ideas (although its the classes decision:rolleyes:) and am so excited to start it!
    And the blue uniforms are quite something aren't they? lol
    Thanks for the advice RandomIrl

haha it just sounded all to familiar, the training day and everything, did you guys do the thing with the chocolate?... and the dancing!!
    your going to have a brilliant year, every year of prefects put a different stamp on their year! what year did you get?

you need to make sure it is the classes idea, because they do not enjoy things being shoved onto them, well my crew didn't go for it at all! maybe the younger years will!! its gonna fly!
    my class is one thing i really do miss about the place, the uniforms, definitely don't miss them!!

so prefects decide to do a talent show in scool?
    Im a prefect too but we weren't told abt this.

I think it depends on the school, we've had a talent show for years and because it goes well we do it again. If you havn't done it before i'd say it would be hard to convince your teachers to do it because it's a lot of work.

Yes to the chocolate and the dancing and it was one of the best days of my whole school experience! I have first years and they are lovely. The idea will be theres but i would love to get up and join them! :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement