Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree in law, legal exec??

Options
  • 21-10-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hello,

i have a degree in law which i got in may, and i am taking a year out. i was just wondering how i would go about becoming a legal executive??

i'm aware of the course in griffith that runs in conjunction with the iilex, but seeing as i have a degree in law is there another way to go about getting a job as a legal exec or what way would i go about it??

thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

chops018 wrote: »
    Hello,

i have a degree in law which i got in may, and i am taking a year out. i was just wondering how i would go about becoming a legal executive??

i'm aware of the course in griffith that runs in conjunction with the iilex, but seeing as i have a degree in law is there another way to go about getting a job as a legal exec or what way would i go about it??

thanks!

apparently, the only way you can legally call yourself a "legal executive" is by completing the professional course, and becoming a member of the iilex. then i think you can have the letters after your name. i stand to be corrected.

as you will know, the course will deal alot with the practical side of things, like getting you to look for land searches, draft legal letters (which is crucial, should never be understated) etc

to be honest, and i am at the same stage as you (ie finished law degree and preparing/ trying to prepare/considering doing the fe1's - though about 3 years after degree), in reality, when you work in a solicitor's office, its really only a title. (please don't think that i am trying to belittle the title - legal executive)

legal executive, solicitor's assistant, legal clerk, paralegal etc, all have the same type of duties. its the solicitor himself, of course you gives the client advise (you know that yourself). - in my experience (that is, so again i could be wrong as to what the correct techincal role a legal executive entails), the role is to work on client's files, deal with clients, solicitor, barristers and others (of course with authority of solicitor), act as caseworker, adminsitrative stuff like filling, sending out letters, preparing for appointments, attending court / tribunals (to take notes)

in my opinion, if you wish to persue some form of legal career in the future, i would believe trying to actually get a position in a solicitors practice (yes i know that is hard) as a legal executive/solicitor's assistant/law clerk might be more beneficial.

why? you know the saying college did not prepare me for this. you learn loads, experience court in action, actually appreciate and understand the law/legal theories a bit better after seeing it in action, see the practical side of things. also it will give you some experience which could not kill in a cv. also, it may give you a real idea of whether you want to / or confident enough to further pursue law as a career. it might, if one is lucky, snag an apprentice.

i am sorry if i have given an impression that you had no idea of what kind of work legal ex's do. i am sure you fully well know. my humble opinion was that he word legal executive might be just a title to a role that may have similar titles. again, i am sure an actual legal executive will point me to the correct road. i imagine getting the professional course done and joining the group is highely attractive for employer's and your professional point of view as the course will train you for the practical side of the law - which is essential. however, if you are not pushed to do another course, try your best and get a place in an office, which would, experience wise be a great substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

thank you very much for your reply. im delgihted you described the duties and gave your own opinion!

im still thinking though, not sure what road i want to go down yet, possibly blackhall or kings inn, but they will be tough let alone if and when you get into those institutes.

thats one of the reasons i was lookin into legal exec etc. it would give me experience and knowledge of the field, and after a few years maybe go down one of the other roads!

thanks again for the reply!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 osullivem

Hi,

I did both the IILEX and LLB and am currently unemployed! To be honest so many experienced legal executives 5+ yrs have been left go and your up against them for a job (the few that are there!) so its really difficult to get your foot in the door. At the same time if your dedicated enough you'll do it.
    The IILEX course itself is pretty good, not as hard as degree by any means but very comprehensive and intense based over one year full time and 2 years part time. Good luck!

Advertisement