Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Galway - Oranmore

• 21-10-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have heard down the grapevine that UPC are supposed to be providing Oranmore with Broadband in the very near future. Does anyone know anything about this?

Currently, Oranmore can only get UPC TV via the MMDS service, but I have word from an engineer that the distance between the current end of the network in galway and oranmore village is only about 2 miles. If they were to lay cable along the road there, Oranmore would be linked up to the main digital network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

UPC is already available in Roscam, well ... the new developments across from Roscam and has been since they were initially build.

For UPC to provide broadband in Oranmore, it'll require them to cable up the houses there with coax. Something, you'll be the first to notice, because they'd dig up the roads etc. Until that happens, don't get your hopes too high.

/M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Quite a lot of recent houses in Oranmore have ducting for NTL outside on the road if you go lifting hatches . On a technicality UPC is already in Oranmore , all along current the N6 and possibly along the N18 too and only need to add the co ax in the main.

You should go door to door in your estate with a survey and see if people will

1. Want the bb and TV ( instead of MMDS with more limited channel choice )
    2. Will sign a right of way if asked , UPC are very neat running co ax nowadays .

If you get a good response UPC have an engineer in the city , used to be in eyre square east side in that Odeon building . Once they finish the city Oranmore is the most logical place in Galway for them to go next .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Quite a lot of recent houses in Oranmore have ducting for NTL outside on the road if you go lifting hatches .

No need to lift hatches, as it quite clearly states the content on the hatch, but yes, if the hatch is there, chances are even better. The plus will be, that the same applies here as in Roscam: the network is new and would have been build with broadband in mind, so no extreme contention like in the inner Galway city.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Marlow wrote: »
    UPC is already available in Roscam, well ... the new developments across from Roscam and has been since they were initially build.

For UPC to provide broadband in Oranmore, it'll require them to cable up the houses there with coax. Something, you'll be the first to notice, because they'd dig up the roads etc. Until that happens, don't get your hopes too high.

/M

Yes, the engineer was telling me that the current closest point in the network is Roscam, which has broadband down as far as the railway line.

I actually live in Doughiska at the moment, but want to relocate to Oranmore, but I have the 10Mb uncapped service here, and would really like to retain UPC as my provider.

Also, we have a DVR box in use, which I am not sure you can use on the MMDS service.

So, I was hoping that someone else might have an inside ear on a timeline for a UPC rollout in Oranmore. They have said that the trunking is already down there, its just a case of running cables and providing a few new cabinets.

Could you go back to whever spoke to you and confirm what they believe to be down there.

Certain developments have exclusive MMDS deals which gives NTL wayleaves but the cable probably needs redoing for BB

Other developments have ducts but no wayleaves.

If UPC had a better idea of what they were facing they might expedite the work, if they feel that they need to gridn through about 20 management companies and the council they may feel it is too much hassle, they have a relationship which is OK with teh corpo but not with the county council .

So in a nutshell, the more work that is done to persuade them it is easy the better .

The Oranmore exchange is ADSL2 , unusually for a county exchange, and will support a rather costly 24mbits at €121 a month if you are close to it , it is central.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Oranmore exchange is ADSL2 , unusually for a county exchange, and will support a rather costly 24mbits at €121 a month if you are close to it , it is central.

Well, you can't quite see Oranmore as "county". It's more part of Galway City. Matter of fact, Roscam was one of the first areas to be DSL enabled in Galway (including parts of Oranmore) and Oranmore has a substantial part of industrial and business development, which is most likely the reason for the existance of ADSL2 equipment.

Oranmore also is partially covered by the Galway MAN. Oranmore is even covered by BT/CIE fiber along the railroads.

The Carnmore area (around the airport) was pretty much the last area to be enabled. Oranmore was enabled pretty much the same time as Mervue.

While DSL might be an option, it can be a bit more costly than cable.

/M

Well if UPC do not do Oranmore then they will never do anywhere else in Galway either , the cable in some areas like the Claddagh is cack and with the old analogue service only .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Just wondering if anyone has heard any movement on this since last post (pre-Christmas)?
    Have ditched Eircom and would really like the option of BB + Digital TV from UPC.
    I called them again this morning and they're not willing to commit to a date as of yet.
    What other (non-mobile) options are there currently available in Oranmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

bump!

??? anything heard on the grapevine??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Contacted them a while back - they said a letter will be sent out when the services become available.

So that is a big fat NO!!!

• Advertisement

2014 earliest. If you want a fibre service in Oranmore you should contact these guys....once they finish Loughrea first.

http://www.lightnet.ie/fibre-broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

funnyname wrote: »

Nothing to do with it, Oranmore needs an access network into homes, plenty of backhaul available today.
    Sponge Bob, is the above similar to the proposal you put forward here?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63601978

Very :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

The coaxial cables are already piped to the houses, well in my estate anyways. I have UPC through MMDS. These need to be connected to something other than a MMDS antenna so as we can get broadband. How hard can it be to run a cable from Roscam to Oranmore?

Damn it, I'm pretty sure Cisco in Oranmore have something better than dial up

The m m d s will be switched off in early 2014 and they may upgrade you then.

Advertisement