Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fuel tank replacement

• 21-10-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i got a fazer a month and a bit ago from jp motorcyles, turns out the fuel tank was leaking, a hole in the bottom rusted out, fuel leaking out onto the engine, not very safe.
    So under the warranty from jp, he has to replace the tank, he gave me a temp one, (black, my fazer is red) and he said he'll replace my rusted tank with a second hand tank resprayed and fitted, with no charge to me. But he also threw another option on the table, he says he can order a brand new tank, from the uk, in the right colour, for 530 euro. He offered to pay 300 of that as that's the cost of a second hand tank and getting it resprayed.

So my intentions for the fazer are to use it for 'at least' 4 years on daily commutes to college and (the odd) touring trips with the g/f to far away places. On the clock is 23k miles, so the engine is good, and all other parts are grand, cept for the back break disc which is making a scratching noise and a rattle i can't seem to find, but i'll get that checked in the next service.

Is it worth 200 euro for a brand new tank, or will a repsrayed used tank do the exact same job, and i shouldn't bother spending the cash. As i can imagine i won't have to worry about the new tank being damaged in the past, but also, i can and i can't afford the 200 euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

id go for the second hand tank and spend the 200 you save on beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

id reckon a second hand resprayed tank would be fine. it would look the same really and you will save 200 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Make sure he dont get your leaking tank fixed with a patch and tart it up for you..
    Dont give him any money for anything,, he should be able to source a good petrol tank in same colour for you.
    How many km did you do since you bought the bike ?
    Pads may be worn on rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

good thinking lookbehindyou. Is there any way to get the old tank off him or see it after its been replaced, just to be sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

seanybiker wrote: »
    good thinking lookbehindyou. Is there any way to get the old tank off him or see it after its been replaced, just to be sure?

I may do that, but since he's gonna be getting me a new part, he'll prob wanna keep the old one for reselling or scraping.

I've done about 1500 miles on the bike atm, prob 2300km so that may be the pads that are worn, but when i bring it back in for the fuel tank, i'll mention fixing the rattle and the breaks, and maybe a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Tell him you want a replacement tank in same colour.
    The bike should have been serviced and guaranteed by the dealer, and its not acceptable for the rear brake to be making any noises or pads need replacing at this early stage.
    If you are mentioning servicing to him,, make him understand that it will NOT be you thats paying for it. Afterall, its him that made profit from selling the bike youand you took his word that everything was ok with the bike.
    If he had it serviced before selling it to you,, he would have noticed those things.
    It would be a good idea to have someone who knows about bikes to have a look at it before going back to him.

or did he sell the bike to you telling you about these faults ??? i dont think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Get the second hand one, make sure it's fine, then spend the 200 quid on coke and hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

It's a tough one to call. If you're gonna get the second hand one, mark the inside of the petrol cap, or the petrol hole itself with a file of some sort so you know you haven't gotten the same one. You also gotta wonder if the 2nd hand one he gives you will be legit.

Personally I'd get the new one, but wouldn't pay 200 for it. It's his fault, he should resolve it at hardly any expense to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

It's a tough one to call. If you're gonna get the second hand one, mark the inside of the petrol cap, or the petrol hole itself with a file of some sort so you know you haven't gotten the same one. You also gotta wonder if the 2nd hand one he gives you will be legit.

Personally I'd get the new one, but wouldn't pay 200 for it. It's his fault, he should resolve it at hardly any expense to you.

Well, iff he does swap the tank back to the original one, it'll be fairly easy to tell as it had this sealant or plaster around the base of the tank, as if it was sealed before, but it was hidden underneath it, so it could've been missed by the mechanic while he serviced it, and he seems fairly honest in which tank he's gonna get me, seeing as he's looking around the whole country and abroad for a tank. But i will take him up on the back breaks and that rattle, i ain't paying for that ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive bought a few bikes from JP and have used him for services and gear etc. I have never had any problems there, they have an excellent name so I wouldnt be worried about being ripped off or getting grief.

Go with the second hand tank as suggested. Re your brake making noises, let the shop know now. Im sure he wont have a problem looking at it for you at no cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement