Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new hard drive question

Options
  • 21-10-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a new hard drive (sata) and win7 arriving the end of the week.

I plan to install win 7 on the new hard drive, now while in win7 can i move some files and folders from my old hard drive (on vista) to the new one if I have the old hard drive installed as a secondary hd?

Im clueless when it comes to moving files/programs off old hard drives.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Hi folks, I have a new hard drive (sata) and win7 arriving the end of the week.

I plan to install win 7 on the new hard drive, now while in win7 can i move some files and folders from my old hard drive (on vista) to the new one if I have the old hard drive installed as a secondary hd?

Im clueless when it comes to moving files/programs off old hard drives.

Yes, so long as the HDD isn't encrypted or other such shenanigans.

The easiest thing to do though is to put everything you want to keep in a folder on the root Directrory (i.e. "C:\Backup"), install W7 onto the new Drive, copy that over onto the new drive, then format the old one.

Unless you are planning on Dual Booting of course.

For programs though, do not just copy them over, you'll need to freshly install them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

thanks a mil thats the info i was looking for.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Advertisement