Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stoke on saturday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Wasn't our day at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Then again 3 results today does soften the blow a bit. Arsenal and City only drawing with Man U losing to Liverpool. Granted we've dropped back to fourth with Arsenal getting the point but it's a lot better than City, Arsenal and Man U grabbing 3 points versus our 0. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Good point pageant. Really three points we left behind us though. I was galled at the way Stoke play. Bring nothing to the Premiership at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Then again 3 results today does soften the blow a bit. Arsenal and City only drawing with Man U losing to Liverpool. Granted we've dropped back to fourth with Arsenal getting the point but it's a lot better than City, Arsenal and Man U grabbing 3 points versus our 0. :)
    I was thinking the same thing after today's results,our loss to Stoke could have been worse but doesn't look as bad now.

Cant agree tippspur. Our loss to stoke was and is poor form. I dont care about other teams. We have 38 games in the Premiership and to lose that game was shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Firstly, he took a chance on Woody playing from the start. He broke down after only 15 mins or so, and was replaced by Dawson.
    Woody has only played a game and a half of practice/friendly games since his supposed recovery. Where the hell was Ledley ???
    Woodgate went off after getting clattered in the face preventing a certain goal. Ledley cant play more than once a week.

Keane was useless, useless useless.
    I was galled at the way Stoke play. Bring nothing to the Premiership at all.
    apartfrom spirit, hard work, grit , determination, balls, you know, all the traits we lack at spurs!. they had a gameplan, stuck to it, a put the ball in the net when they got the chance, fairplay to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Seillejet wrote: »
    I was galled at the way Stoke play. Bring nothing to the Premiership at all.

Completely agree with you there Sellejet.

Their goalkeeper was time wasting from his very first goal kick and throughout the game all they were playing for was throw-ins, within Rory Delap throwing range.

It seemed for virtually the whole game, they had at least 10 men behind the ball.

Problem is, of course, theres at least ten or more premisership teams that are basically going to come to WHL and play similar style of 'parking the bus'. We have to learn how to break these teams down.

I was disappointed that that we did'nt get a few long range shots on goal (20-25 yards). We have the players who can strike a sweet shot but for some reason they held back and kept playing it in front their defence. I think this was a situation were JD would have made a massive difference, as he'll go for goal from anywhere. With JD missing there was too much reliance on crossing high and deep for Crouchy but other than a couple of chances, Stoke were wise to the tactic.

We got away with it against Pompey last week, but this weekend we got caught out. Harry need's to get some serious tactical training in this week because next weekend we are not playing a team that will 'park the bus' but a team that will go for the jugular at every opportunity.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Keane was useless, useless useless.

Sorry Mushy but I disagree. Robbie never stopped running and chasing but the team tactics seemed to virtually bypass him up front. Everything was going into Crouch.

I still think Harry made a big mistake in replacing Robbie for Pav. He should have gone with three strikers. Pav and Crouch at point with Robbie in the pocket just behind them.

As, for Pav, whilst doing his sideline warm ups there was plenty of chanting his name. I'm at the position now, that I really can't understand why. He came on for nearly 30 minutes and during that time did not contribute anything at all. Maybe I'm being harsh but I really can't see what he does for the team and secondly what he does as a goal scorer.

I see Ledley is looking for a new contract. I hope the club take's into account that he'll only play 50% of games when negotiating salary.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    mushykeogh wrote: »
    Robbie never stopped running and chasing
    thats all he ever does, run around aimlessly, chases here and there but never wins a bloody challenge! I cant bloody stand him, scored 4 against burnley and hasnt one a tap before or since, looks completely ineffective any time he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I think you are a bit harsh Mushy on one of the all time top goalscorers at the club,and i don't think he is a fans favourite at the lane for no reason.Let me also mention he is Ireland's all time top scorer by a long shot.Ok i know he can be frustrating but he always seems to be the scapegoat for Irish spurs fans.

• Advertisement

I completely agree about Pav Rich. Those 30 mins to me basically reiterated why he is on the bench. JD only has himself to blame. Only positive he will come back hungry as hell.

Palacios sums up our determination spirit and grit Mushy.

I dont think Keane runs around aimlessly. He was our main threat at times and Lennon's end product was class.

It was just one of those games I think where we were never going to score but that game has been coming. We were poor at Portsmouth and Bolton and I dont think we would have one the Pool game but for Carragher.

Arsenal will be tough all right, but they are beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Arsenal will be tough all right, but they are beatable.

you better believe it. didnt see them whole match yesterday but i hear they were cruising at 2 nil and nearly threw that away. we can do them.

come on you spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Our early season form was all based on the 'Fab Four' - Defoe, Keane, Lennon & Modric. As we currently stand 3 of them are now missing - thats a bit worrying and the main reason we couldn't break them down on Saturday.

As for the game, well these things happen, but i have to say, we got what we deserved pumping the ball high up to Crouch played into their hands..

Maybe it was just one of 'those weekends', when looking at the other results.

With the exception of the Chelsea Blackburn match, none of the results went to form. It's just a shame we couldnt have capitalised.

Palacios sums up our determination spirit and grit Mushy.
    Even he was below par on saturday, and thats one player out of eleven that has grit, not near enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

king had a virus so couldnt play

woodie didnt "break down" he got a kick in the head after making a top class tackle.

lennon left with his foot in a plastic boot, not good

keane is just rubbish. simple as that

Mushy I cant agree with that. CM we are a bit light I accept and Arry has said that. Bassong has grit and I think Dawson is a great pro. Never whinges when dropped and always puts in a decent performance.

I like Keane. He tries constantly and makes things happen. I agree his finishing can be a bit suspect but that was a great save from his shot on the turn.

Dawson is honest il agree with you there, bassong im still not so sure about, i liked corluka and BAE last year but im not gone on them this year, BAE in particular whimped out of a challenge against bolton when davies put his head into the danger zone when he scored there second, and he was really really shoddy against stoke for their goal. Probably the only time iv ever agrred with that flute pat dolan on sellotanta sports, and everyone knows my views on robbie at this stage.

If we carry our form of the last three games to the empty crates we could get walloped.

I like the Empty Crates phrase. Very good. Agree with you on Corlucka and BAE. Jenas and Huddlestones form is poor.

I wonder will Bentley get a rn out against Arsenal. It is the only game he gets fired up for.

Bentley wasnt even on the subs bench against stoke, if lennon is still out he might get a run, another strike from halfway would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

didnt know bentley was not even on the bench. if we got a good offer he is gone in january as kranjcar can play there as can gio and modric if it came to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Cant agree tippspur. Our loss to stoke was and is poor form. I dont care about other teams. We have 38 games in the Premiership and to lose that game was shocking.
    I was only meaning our position in the table didn't change much because of the other results Seilljet,the loss was still a bad one.

I know tippspur, the pain of that defeat was still raw:)

Could have been worse alright

Advertisement