Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Wire-BOI aaaggh

Options
  • 21-10-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

I went to my boi bank at 1pm yesterday to wire money to a company in the states for an important purchase.(I have no c/c so this was the only other option to me).

I ordered it at 11.30 on Monday night and they hold this purchase for 48 hours only,from what I gather it takes 3 days for the money to go through but the companies bank can see that its on its way through once form approved etc.

Filled out the form and the lady I was dealing with said that she has to send it to my account holding branch and they should have it this morning.(today).

Checked with both banks this morning and neither had this form. They said it could be in the overnight post for tonight but that it should have been there this morning.
    I stressed to them that this was a very important purchase and I was told yesterday it would be sorted by today which it still hasn't.

As i've never used this system before I am not used to it but going by what girl in my boi branch said,it should have been sorted by now.

I'm really annoyed at the minute as I could possibly lose this item if they get another order for same one in tonight.

The lady I dealt with in the bank was really nosy too. She asked me what was it I was paying for with the wired money. Then she asked me to specify what this item looked like and is it better value for money getting it in the states compared with ireland.

I was mortified and I don't know why I even answered her questions cos its a personal thing! I'm thinking now that she was so busy being nosy that she may have forgot to put the form through after I left.

I'm still really annoyed and upset over this and I hope they manage to sort their mistake out on time or I won't be happy :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ah yes BOI there's your first mistake, never have I known a more inept backward bank.

MC

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ah yes BOI there's your first mistake, never have I known a more inept backward bank.

MC
    :rolleyes: helpful.
    BOI is no better or worse than any other bank, in my experience. I've worked for, and been a customer of, more than one of the different Irish banks and they're pretty much the same from what I've seen.

OP, are you sending dollars to the US? If so the clerk should have informed you that there is a 24 hour option, there is an extra fee for this, but if the payment is really urgent then it would be worth your while getting it. When sent by the 'standard' methods, customers are advised (well at least they should be) to allow between 3 to 5 working days for the funds to reach the beneficiary bank.

Is your account holding branch in Dublin or elsewhere in the country? If it's outside Dublin, internal mail can sometimes take 48 hours to reach the branch. Again, the woman who took the payment in should have advised you of this also. Generally the mail will get there overnight, however it can sometimes take the extra night, depending on when each branch's post bag leaves the sorting centre.

It doesn't sound to me like there's a problem with the actual transfer, provided the form arrives at your branch tomorrow. It sounds like the problem is with the woman you dealt with in the branch where you filled in the form. If I were you, I'd phone the branch and ask to speak to the Customer Service Manager, explain the situation to him/her. They may be able to do something for you - perhaps they might offer to send the money by the express method to get it there quicker - or offer you some other gesture by way of compensation. Also I'd tell them about the nosiness of the staff member you dealt with. While she may have thought she was being friendly, it was not appropriate for her to quiz you on the nature of what you were buying, particularly if it was making you embarrassed.

In relation to hopefully holding your purchase, if you have a scanner on your computer at home, you could scan in your copy of the wire transfer form (block out your account details) and then email it to the seller to show them that the payment is on it's way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You mean AIB, or Ulster Bank, or PTSB, or NIB, or ... etc

I would have thought it would take at least 3 working days, if not longer, for funds to transfer internationally. I get funds from the US sometimes, and it has always taken 5 days to get to me. Hell, it takes 3 days just to go from AIB to BOI, and they're both in the same country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Not sure about Bank of Ireland's methods, but Ulster Bank will allow you call into any branch to send money from your account.

If you send before 11am, you can have it arrive the same day and the standard service is 2 days.

Maybe get online banking, most systems should allow you transfer funds internationally and then youy can copy & paste the confirmation page and e-mail to the seller.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If it wasn't more then 500e then you could have used one of those 3V cards :)
    Works just like a credit card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jor el wrote: »
    You mean AIB, or Ulster Bank, or PTSB, or NIB, or ... etc

I would have thought it would take at least 3 working days, if not longer, for funds to transfer internationally. I get funds from the US sometimes, and it has always taken 5 days to get to me. Hell, it takes 3 days just to go from AIB to BOI, and they're both in the same country.

Not to the United States, 3 working days is only applicable to SEPA.
    http://www.sepa.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have internet banking? Are you not able to send money over that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Thanks for replies,

I have internet banking but you couldnt do it that way. Wire or C/C only.
    My branch finally received it this morning and after putting complaint in to manager of branch I done the wire from they have agreed to pay charges for wire and make sure it goes through today by express(this costs about €50 I think)

So am happy with that but still angry that a mix up happened in first place.

Fingers crossed they'l still have my order when I ring them up later though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I have had similar issues with some bank clerks in the past.

i.e. Being Nosey and unprofessional.

To me it seems to be a culture in different branches. In my local branch of BOI, for the most part, the staff are very nosey and very often ask inappropriate questions. However, I have dealt with BOI in 3 other branches through work and living in different areas and have found the staff in all other branches excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Not sure if it is the same thing, but I often transfer money from AIB account on internet banking to a british account Barcley's.

I use the IBAN no and swift code.

Always appears withing 7hours.

I transfer money from AIB to BOI the same way and it takes 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Not sure if it is the same thing, but I often transfer money from AIB account on internet banking to a british account Barcley's.

I use the IBAN no and swift code.

Always appears withing 7hours.

I transfer money from AIB to BOI the same way and it takes 3 days.

I transfer from the Netherlands to BOI and it takes 3 working days, from BOI to AIB takes the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

craichoe wrote: »
    I transfer from the Netherlands to BOI and it takes 3 working days, from BOI to AIB takes the same :(

Are we seeing something in common here???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Toots* wrote: »
    :rolleyes: helpful.
    BOI is no better or worse than any other bank, in my experience.

yikes :eek: :D well, it's certainly a subjective matter. The last time I wanted to IBAN money to another EU country I had to go to my BOI branch and sign the form. I did it over the phone with my current bank with no hassle or signatures or calling in etc. For me there are clear better/worse stories among the 3 banks I have been with. Especially when it comes to customer care and problem resolution.

Advertisement