Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age of Property

• 21-10-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

I am assessing a house with 2 extensions a 2 story and single story. The owners of the property have only been able to give me one piece of information regarding the age of the property - a letter from their solicitor saying that it is likely that it was most likely built before 1930..

I know of a similar style and layout of a house nearby was built in 1917 - so I am going to make the assumption that this is the case here..

The owners haven't been able to give me anything on the age of the extensions.

The wall depth on the 2 story extension is the same as the main house (530mm) so I would assume that would be the same age.

The single story flat roof extension has a wall depth of 260mm. I can't see any part of the block work. Cavety block + a slab maybe ?

I haven't been able to access any planning records for the extensions.

I am just wondering if there are any further steps I could/should take. I would also appreciate any opinions on my assumptions above.

Thanks in advance.. apologies if the questions are a bit dumb, I had to go to England for work and have just returned - this is my first BER in 5 months so I am probably a bit rusty. Given that I am earning pittence for it I could really do with out having the auditors on my back.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cavity block and slab will be hollow to tap...

if its solid, most likely cast conc, depending on other age factors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I suggest that the auditors seem to be attracted by the use of non default U-Values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭derickmc

recedite wrote: »
    I suggest that the auditors seem to be attracted by the use of non default U-Values.

Yep that's been my experience too.

In this case there is no question of calculating the u-values because there is no way of telling what material is in the wall ..

If there is no way of establishing an age for the extension should I just default it to the age of the main house ?? even though common sence would indicate that it has been added later ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

derickmc wrote: »

If there is no way of establishing an age for the extension should I just default it to the age of the main house ??

Not exactly, you still have to make a guestimate for it's own age band, but as the figures are mostly the same for all bands B - E, in your case you can probably merge the elements of house and extensions unless you think some part of it is more recent than 1977.

Advertisement