Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for the Public sector worker

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

RCIRL wrote: »
    I may be blinded by spite but you are one dumb ass PS worker, no offense but seriously how do you expect the private sector to be privatised?

Don't tell me, you make it public? hahaha

he means the private sector should be wary of all aspects of the public sector being privatised, believe me, it's not the answer to everything! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭RCIRL

imme wrote: »
    what's a "filter station"?. public water is supplied from reservoirs/water treatment plants, you might do well to read here http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/waterprojects/pages/waterprojects.aspx

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/water-drink/index_en.html
    you might do well reading this, it set out EU drinking water standards

What do you mean "loop holes in our building regs". These are legal standards.

I find your comments on Polish people stupid/offensive.
    I think you mean they came here in their masses, is this what you meant to say?

I am braking all this down to lay mans terms, I am not going into the details, I know my water system well.

You my friend must have never stood foot on an Irish building site if you think our building regulations are legal standards? Every tom dick, harry, harrys aunt and toms father worked on sites with no qualifications doing jobs which should only be done by qualified people. The majority of which tended to be Polish/Latvian people, stupid/offensive or not, its the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

Why do you actually have Job Security? I've never understood this. How would you feel if this was taken away? Annoyed? Would you strike?

In 21 yrs service in the Defence Forces, I never had 'Job Security', I had to fulfill certain obligations to renew my service. Since 1994, the Army made the rules stricter to be retained in service and in 2003 changed them again with mandatory overseas service as a condition of service to remain in the Army. So job security doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. BTW I've left the Army to work in the private sector.

Why, when you get paid by paypath, do you get an extra 30 mins to go to the bank on payday to cash the cheque you didnt get?

Never got it, even when we were being paid by cheque.

Why do you get an extra day off at bank holidays?

Again never did, those still serving don't either. In fact, I worked most of them inc Christmas, Easter and St. Patrick's day.
    Why do you insist that the pension levy was a salary reduction, when actually it was just a fraction of one of your perks taken away?

A levy is a tax by definition, it's just playing with words. After all, calling it a 'Public Sector Tax' wouldn't have worked as well at generating Private Sector outrage against the Public Sector. Calling it a levy just gave it the 'nudge, wink' concept so that the more gullible people in society would see it as a soft option on reducing Public Sector pay.

Do you not realise that the unions have been driving your wages to stupidly high levels to the point where the government cannot afford to pay you anymore? And now as soon as the union says "strike" you all bend over?

Never had a union, just a representative body. Not allowed to have one.
    Do you really not see that there are 400,000 people on the scratcher looking for any work they can get, and you're striking?

Soldiers are not permitted to strike, if they did, they would get charged and imprisoned and then discharged from the Army. And yes, there are former members of the Army on the dole who were not able to remain in service due to failing to fulfill service obligations or other reasons that made continuing in service untenable.
    Yes yes, the goverment and banks have done their part to destroy the economy, so why stoop to their level and take a hit at it yourselves? Striking is only going to make things worse.

Again the Army is not allowed to strike, in fact, the rank and file representative body, PDFORRA, were ordered to withdraw from the 24/7 Frontline Alliance as it was not permitted to engage with groups that, could potentially, participate in industrial action.

The Army has taken it's hit when everyone else was doing well, traditionally the army has always gotten the scraps from the table. In 1998 the Army was reduced by 1,750 members. Goals were set by government to improve efficiencies (which were met and often exceeded) sometimes at personal expense. This year, a further four barracks were ordered to be closed, causing immense hardship to Soldiers and their families as there was no offer of relocating to a barracks closer to their homes. How much more do you want out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I am braking all this down to lay mans terms, I am not going into the details, I know my water system well.

You my friend must have never stood foot on an Irish building site if you think our building regulations are legal standards? Every tom dick, harry, harrys aunt and toms father worked on sites with no qualifications doing jobs which should only be done by qualified people. The majority of which tended to be Polish/Latvian people, stupid/offensive or not, its the truth.
    Thanks for breaking it down for people. You're very good for doing that.

Oh you're moving on to Latvian people now. Were Irish people not complying with Building Regs as well by any chance in your own experience.
    PS some more reading here for you on building standards http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/

So when the whole public service witch hunt is done, who else is next for the pitchfork crowd?

FF should of gone straight away I cant understand why we haven't gathered up, marched up and gave them the big "No Confidence". We had the chance a while ago but its too late now, they are clever f******, you see how they use the IMF right before the budget, this makes them look like they are "saving us" and will mislead people into voting for them again, they have 2 years to do it.

After 20 years etc in power, they are rooted into Ireland and even if a new party came into power, they will never be able to undo 20 years roots.

With the treaty passed and NAMA, FF have deepened their roots to the point Ireland will never be the same place again.

We should have booted them out over a year ago.

Still wouldn't mind going up there now and poking them all with a pitch fork.

• Advertisement

Thanks for breaking it down for people. You're very good for doing that.

Oh you're moving on to Latvian people now. Were Irish people not complying with Building Regs as well by any chance in your own experience.
    PS some more reading here for you on building standards http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/

I've mentioned Latvians before, this is the 3rd time. I am not moving onto them, I've included them. Irish people couldn't get hired if they did'nt have the qualifications. Never mind that, they wouldn't chance their arm and do the work with no qualification, they have to live here and face the repercussions! Where as the Polish/Latvians mislead employers here, chanced their arm and completed works under no qualification because there would be no repercussions, they could go back home before anything could come back, and its happened, I've seen it on numerous occasions.

No need to spend time informing me of the standards, I know the standards of my trade, I am not interested in others which don't relate to my trade. It strikes me to think you are either Polish/Latvian etc because you are defending them, also you have direct links to all kinds of building regulations. I wonder why??

Anyway your making a big deal out of very little, its an internet forum, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

So when the whole public service witch hunt is done, who else is next for the pitchfork crowd?

More taxs, more cuts in public pay/services and then the IMF, or maybe the IMF early next year.

eoinbn wrote: »
    More taxs, more cuts in public pay/services and then the IMF, or maybe the IMF early next year.

Dont be fooled with the IMF idea, I wish they did come in because they would do a complete clean out of our system, no fancy hand shakes after it either the whole lot of them will be fired, plain and simple.

Its the politicians scare mongering into accepting the budget, same as the treaty, remember that Yes for Jobs? two weeks after it we added another thousand and more to add to the sum of over 450,000 out of work.
    The only job created was for an Intel Exec, now the Exec is employed by the Government in return for helping them secure the yes, Mr Ryan air admitted on air, he was only interest in a yes because it will help him with Air Lingus take over.

We are in the Eurozone, the ECB to my knowledge wont allow the IMF to come in, it affects the strength of the Euro.

FF saving us from the IMF? help with securing votes if you think of it that way? Politics= telling white lies, after all Mary Harney I believe was the one who first mentioned it, who would believe her???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

I may be blinded by spite but you are one dumb ass PS worker, no offense but seriously how do you expect the private sector to be privatised? Don't tell me, you make it public? hahaha
    It gets outsourced to Vietnam.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It gets outsourced to Vietnam.

Or India- as per the Hibernian/Aviva callcentre in Galway......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

We are in the Eurozone, the ECB to my knowledge wont allow the IMF to come in, it affects the strength of the Euro.

+1

they don't just "come in" anyway, these threats are childish imo. The ECB wouldn't be afraid of putting some fairly harsh conditions on a (real) bail-out if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

You were a contractor !! You're paid alot more money because you're not supposed to have job security.

Ha ha ha funny. I suggest you keep quiet about things you know nothing about. A lot of money :rolleyes: NO i wasnt paid a lot, i was hired as a graduate, which are only hired on a contract basis. Didnt make a lot of money
    SC024 wrote: »
    CptMackey wrote: »
    I recently worked in the Public Sector and i was let go after my contract ended. Now im unemployed with no real prospects of employment here.

When i hear people talking about job security in the public sector it drives me mad. Some do alot dont, all contract staff are being let go
    you just said it there... Your a f$cking contractor! that by definition is not an employee and doesn't entitle you to the same benefits!! We're not discussing public sectror contractors here, We're discusing public sector employees !!!! Wake up!!

SC024

You abviouslt dont understand the difference between contractors and employees. If i were a contractor i would have been working for some other company who were employed by the Public sector but as i outlined to your chum above i was emplyed directly as a graduate for the Public sector. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Ha ha ha funny. I suggest you keep quiet about things you know nothing about. A lot of money :rolleyes: NO i wasnt paid a lot, i was hired as a graduate, which are only hired on a contract basis. Didnt make a lot of money
    SC024 wrote: »

You abviouslt dont understand the difference between contractors and employees. If i were a contractor i would have been working for some other company who were employed by the Public sector but as i outlined to your chum above i was emplyed directly as a graduate for the Public sector. :rolleyes:

So to clarify for others you were a temporary member of staff (which means generally the same pay as people on same level and paid directly by employer PAYE) as oppossed to a contractor (self employed (or working for another company) usually charging quite a bit)

But that does not take from the point that you were temporary staff, not a full time PS worker. Temps are always the first to go and have absolutely no job security wherever you are in the economy, the hint is in the name.

The point still remains that no FULL TIME PS workers are losing there jobs, absolutely none as their jobs are 100% secure it seems, frightening really when about 20% of them need to be made redundent asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

its well for you that can be so smug

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tipp Man wrote: »

So to clarify for others you were a temporary member of staff (which means generally the same pay as people on same level and paid directly by employer PAYE) as oppossed to a contractor (self employed (or working for another company) usually charging quite a bit)

But that does not take from the point that you were temporary staff, not a full time PS worker. Temps are always the first to go and have absolutely no job security wherever you are in the economy, the hint is in the name.

The point still remains that no FULL TIME PS workers are losing there jobs, absolutely none as their jobs are 100% secure it seems, frightening really when about 20% of them need to be made redundent asap

Every public sector employee employed since 1995 is on contract- and potentially could be made redundant tomorrow, without any reason given whatsoever. Certainly there is a much greater degree of job security for the pre-1995 staff- but have a look at the legislation- you will be most surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 GroundHog

Some very good points here. Problem on all these forums - posters think one is attacking when perhaps one is actually just trying to understand.

At the end of the day, and the end may be nigh for this country - we're all going to sink together OR work together to get out. BUT working together isn't part of the Irish Psyche and what we're probably going to see is private v's public sector and a generally divisive series of strikes and phone-ins to Joe Duffy.

All of which will suit the people who dispensed riches with such abandon, namely the short-sighted and blind of FF with the knowing support and help of unions and private sector employers with vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'm unaware of any 'ditch water', supplied to houses in Ireland.
    your comments on Polish people aren't on, what do you mean by them?
    EU drinking water standards are the standards we go by in Ireland for public water, not UK "water regs" that you seem quite taken by.

Ever heard of Galway :rolleyes:
    Our water quality is this country is not great.
    Some of it is down to fact that water is often provided by Group Water Schemes because the state didn'thave the money or couldn't be ar**ed.
    smccarrick wrote: »
    Or India- as per the Hibernian/Aviva callcentre in Galway......

And why did we have the call centres in the first place ?
    Did it not have something to do with the fact that we were cheaper than the multinationals home country e.g Dell.

We are just loosing out to lower cost economies.

As regards poster stating that the poor workmanship in Irish building is down to foreigners, don't make me laugh. :rolleyes:
    The workmanship visible in Irish property from the days before the big bubble, and all the foreign builders arrived, is often quiet pathetic, so who was to blame for that ?
    It is funny how Irish tradesmen are always bad mouthing foreign tradesmen, firstly for having the gaul to come here and the right to work here, secondly for offering cheaper rates in comparison to the exhorbitant rates offered by the natives, and then thirdly staying here after they have lost their jobs and they are getting entitlements that they have actually contributed towards.

How many Irish worked on UK sites, then lost jobs and went on the dole ?
    Some Irish people have a f***ing short memory or else were the ones that never worked abroad themselves. :mad:

As regards people having a go at public sector workers, there is a simple reason, we can't afford to continue to pay for the public sector any more.
    There is no money and the budget deficit needs to be brought back from 20 odd billion a year.
    From what I would see the choices are:
    - increase taxes hugely
    - savegly cut services
    - keep wage costs and numbers employed in public sector as is
    or
    - increase taxes moderately
    - cut services aws little as possible
    - cut public sector numbers and fire on dole
    - keep salaries as is
    or
    - increase taxes moderately
    - cut services as little as possible
    - try and keep as many working in public sector as is and off the dole
    - cut salaries

Also to get this country back to competitiveness minimum wage has to be cut and also dole cut at the same time.
    From this cost of living has to decrease as we push costs down.

I am not allowed discuss …

smccarrick wrote: »
    Tipp Man wrote: »

Every public sector employee employed since 1995 is on contract- and potentially could be made redundant tomorrow, without any reason given whatsoever. Certainly there is a much greater degree of job security for the pre-1995 staff- but have a look at the legislation- you will be most surprised.

legislation being in place and legislation being enforced are two entirely different things , take the area of mental health for example , while its possible to institutionalise someone against thier will in a psychiatric hospital in this country , it rarely ever happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

irish_bob wrote: »
    while its possible to institutionalise someone against thier will in a psychiatric hospital in this country , it rarely ever happens
    Which might explain some of what's posted on 'boards'

Which might explain some of what's posted on 'boards'

you,ve a knack for comedy which is only equal to jack o connors knack for financial wisdom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I've mentioned Latvians before, this is the 3rd time. I am not moving onto them, I've included them. Irish people couldn't get hired if they did'nt have the qualifications. Never mind that, they wouldn't chance their arm and do the work with no qualification, they have to live here and face the repercussions! (1) Where as the Polish/Latvians mislead employers here, chanced their arm and completed works under no qualification because there would be no repercussions, they could go back home before anything could come back, and its happened, I've seen it on numerous occasions.

No need to spend time informing me of the standards, I know the standards of my trade, I am not interested in others which don't relate to my trade. It strikes me to think you are either Polish/Latvian etc because you are defending them, (2) also you have direct links to all kinds of building regulations. I wonder why?? (3)

Anyway your making a big deal out of very little, its an internet forum, relax.
    (1) standards and regs are for the builder providing the work and the workman as well. If standards were compromised it's the builder/developer that's responsible.
    (2) I'm Irish, but would it matter if I was Polish/Latvian etc. You seem to have major problems with them. :rolleyes:
    (3) Just trying to highlight to you that there are standards, you didn't seem to be aware that there were standards that builders have to comply with.

Advertisement