Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my student card :(

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Lost my student card on Friday (or atleast havent found it yet), never happened before. I only realized today that its 30 quid to get a new one. I understand that they must charge a fee so as to act as a deterrent but 30 quid it steeeep! Any loopholes? besides getting a garda report ;) ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Last year it was only €10 i think. It hardly went up 20 did it? I wouldnt advise lying to the gardai and wasting their time - thats stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Well it's 30 now cause it's meant to last you the whole year, but I lost my one this year and got the first replacement for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Last year it was only €10 i think. It hardly went up 20 did it? I wouldnt advise lying to the gardai and wasting their time - thats stupid

It was €15 I believe. If you are in res it costs €80 altogether if you lose your card - €30 for a new one, €50 to 'unlock' it. Money grabbing tightwads.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Lost my student card on Friday (or atleast havent found it yet), never happened before. I only realized today that its 30 quid to get a new one. I understand that they must charge a fee so as to act as a deterrent but 30 quid it steeeep! Any loopholes? besides getting a garda report ;) ....

there's a garda office with limited hours beside reception in the arts block. there's just one dude in there doing menial clerical stuff so far as i could see. go in and get a statement of loss form. only takes a minute.

do NOT let ucd sting you for 30 bills on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Check or ring around the services desks in the different buildings, if it's been found and handed in it'll be there. The various libraries also operate their own lost property so worth looking there if you've been in.

You have to declare it stolen, not just lost, to the gardai to get a free replacement afaik... given the price hike, I wouldn't be surprised to see this loophole get closed soon as well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

say it doesn't work getting into the library (they're having trouble with some of the cards this year) they should replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Nebit wrote: »
    say it doesn't work getting into the library (they're having trouble with some of the cards this year) they should replace it

Would they not ask to see/have your old one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I lost mine a couple of weeks ago, and got the replacement free...
    Then a couple of days later a rather lovely person sent me an email to say they'd found my original card, and they returned it to me (It doesn't work now, but it was still nice of them! :)).

I'd check at the various service desks, and wait 'til after the weekend to get a new one if you still can't find it... Someone might come across it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Would they not ask to see/have your old one though?

the library takes it from you so you just tell them. thats what they did with few of my friends anyway. unfortunately mine worked and iv got this picture for the rest of my course :( (dam cutbacks)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Well it's 30 now cause it's meant to last you the whole year time your in UCD, but I lost my one this year and got the first replacement for free

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

Nebit wrote: »
    the library takes it from you so you just tell them. thats what they did with few of my friends anyway. unfortunately mine worked and iv got this picture for the rest of my course :( (dam cutbacks)

Might they not check with the library?? I can't find mine either, and 30 squids is ridiculous! Also the waiting cue at the student desk is ridiculous, 40 mins waiting to ask if any cards were turned in :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

sponge-97 wrote: »
    Might they not check with the library?? I can't find mine either, and 30 squids is ridiculous! Also the waiting cue at the student desk is ridiculous, 40 mins waiting to ask if any cards were turned in :mad::mad::mad:

As mentioned above - check Services desks in the different buildings - lots of Student cards handed in and never collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

I actually was able to get a new one!
    For anyone who doesn't know, you can just report it lost to the little garda thing beside the arts info desk He comes mon - wed from 1 - 2. I actually just got the form and got the card free, even though it stated I just lost it!

THANK JESUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Did you check the student club bar? That is if you were in there. They sometimes have cards that were brought in or found on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I only realized today that its 30 quid to get a new one

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement