Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this laptop SATA 150 HDD a suitable replacement?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

My mates sony viao PCG-7Z1M fell and the HD seems knackered, I can get it to boot to linux off a DVD so I think everything else is OK, tried to format it in windows by reinstalling XP and it froze at 0% of the format.

Anyway his current drive is this toshiba.
    http://www.acsoutlet.com/HDD2A30-Standard.aspx
    Toshiba HDD2A30 Toshiba MK2035GSS Hard drive - 200 GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-150 - 4200 rpm - buffer: 8 MB

And I am considering replacing it with this
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=MME1410582#
    SCORPIO 160GB 8MB SATA/150 5400RPM
    (Manufacturer: WESTERN DIGITAL

Is this a suitable replacement. I have changed desktop ones before but I am unsure if I am missing something, have not worked much on laptops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Not having looked at the specs you only really need to worry about the height of the new drive. Compare the two and if similar or less then the new drive would be fine.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cheers, found a better spec on the toshiba site, both are 9.5mm so should be OK.

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=StorageSolutions/2.5-inchHardDiskDrives/MK2035GSS/MK2035GSSSpecifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

you could also get this bigger hard drive for 2€ more

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=307913

Anti wrote: »
    you could also get this bigger hard drive for 2€ more

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=307913
    That says sata 300, will that work in the same laptop?

I noticed the bigger ones were sataII & sata 300 which I figured are the same thing(?) and thought they might not be compatible.

EDIT: reading a bit more it seems it might work, might be jumper setting or dependent on the motherboard, will do more searching, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah it will work, Sata 300 is backwards compatible. No need to even change jumpers or anythign these days :)

• Advertisement

Got a Hitachi 320GB for €57 delivered from elara in the end. Went in without a hitch, very quite and PC seems much faster with XP too, no driver issues or anything.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 floridali

Hi guys!

I have Sony viao laptop PCG-7Z1M and i like to change laptop's HDD.
    Is anyone help me to how to do it?
    I mean, how to open laptop and replace HDD with new one?

Thank you

floridali wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I have Sony viao laptop PCG-7Z1M and i like to change laptop's HDD.
    Is anyone help me to how to do it?
    I mean, how to open laptop and replace HDD with new one?

Thank you
    Dunno how much experience you have with such things. You will need a small crosshead/philips screwdriver and remove all screws from the underside, then take the battery out and there is a cover lower down the end near the front. When this is removed it reveals more screws. Make a note of the different screws, only about 3-4 are special ones.

Now the back cover should come off easy, if not you probably still have a screw in somewhere. When looking at it the HD is on the lower right corner. There are USB sockets near it, I had to remove these, I also had to take cd drive out (slides out to the right), only then could I move the USB devices out of the way. There was then a single screw attaching the HD to the motherboard, take this out and it will slide out to the right again.

The HD is in its own caddy, needs to be unscrewed and stick the new one in.

Mine detected first time no problems, reinstalled XP instead of Vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 floridali

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno how much experience you have with such things. You will need a small crosshead/philips screwdriver and remove all screws from the underside, then take the battery out and there is a cover lower down the end near the front. When this is removed it reveals more screws. Make a note of the different screws, only about 3-4 are special ones.

Now the back cover should come off easy, if not you probably still have a screw in somewhere. When looking at it the HD is on the lower right corner. There are USB sockets near it, I had to remove these, I also had to take cd drive out (slides out to the right), only then could I move the USB devices out of the way. There was then a single screw attaching the HD to the motherboard, take this out and it will slide out to the right again.

The HD is in its own caddy, needs to be unscrewed and stick the new one in.

Mine detected first time no problems, reinstalled XP instead of Vista

Thank you so much, It is really helpfull article. I'll try and let u know:)

Advertisement