Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What actually constitutes "heart disease"?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just a general question...

With the current talk of the Swine Flu jab and the "high risk" or "priority" groups I have become confused about what actually constitutes "heart disease".

Information from the HSE and NHS suggest those with chronic or serious medical conditions, along with pregnant women, will be among the first in line for the vaccine. They say those with long term "lung disease" and "heart disease" along with the immuno-compromised and a few other groups are in the priority group.

They have been careful to highlight that asthma is included with the "lung disease" (presumably as many may dismiss it as a "minor" or "trivial" problem), but they have been less clear about "heart disease".

I have an arrhythmia and am on medication, and I am unsure where I stand. One of my consultants said yes I would be higher risk, the other said no I was not. My GP has said I am not included as higher risk. This is what has led to my confusion. Previously I would have said the arrhythmia did not count as a long term "heart disease", but the fact one of my consultants says it does makes me unsure.

I'm not really looking to discuss my own personal situation here - I just included it to explain the cause of my confusion.

I'd just like to know what others think about the vague term of "long term heart disease". What conditions would most people consider it actually encompasses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well, nobody responded to my post, but just to update this (and to vent my frustrations further):

My GP will not give the Swine Flu Vaccine as he says my arrhythmia (for which I am on tablets) does not place me in the "at risk" group of those with "long term heart disease".

However, my cardiologist says it does place me in the "at risk" group and wants me to attend a HSE vaccination clinic with a letter from him stating I need the vaccine.

I find this all very confusing - I do not want to seem pushy and be contradicting my GP as I really do trust his opinion. However, I obviously also trust the opinion of my cardiologist! I would have been happy to wait for my GP to give me the jab when he is finished with high risk people but I also don't want to ignore my consultant.

I will probably go along to a HSE clinic when they are announced, but I really wish there was more agreement between medical professionals on this vaccine!

Advertisement