Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Telecom ADSL 1:1 contention.

• 21-10-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

How do Smart achieve a 1:1 ratio when the best the opposition has to offer is 18:1 on the same overloaded degraded and attenuated copper.

Do Smart subscribers see this advertised ratio in speeds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They don't give you 1:1 contention - such a service costs far more per month, than you'd pay in a year!!! What Smart do do is try and maintain enough backhaul to the entire exchange so that everyone can use the internet but not experience slowdowns, even at peak time.

They did have a problem with their Letterkenny exchange a while back, I do believe, where they kept adding on subscribers but had problems adding extra capacity to the exchange - meant a lot of people's internet went to feck during peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Kensington is correct but only for their ADSL2+ LLU packages. There is contention but what Smart actually do is synch you higher than the actual speed of the package you are on to allow for TCP/IP overheads.

I am a Smart LLU customer and I have always managed to hit my full speeds at any time of the day.

For the Smart ADSL products these are resold Eircom bitstream products and would have the same contention ratios as any other provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Kensington is correct but only for their ADSL2+ LLU packages. There is contention but what Smart actually do is synch you higher than the actual speed of the package you are on to allow for TCP/IP overheads.

I am a Smart LLU customer and I have always managed to hit my full speeds at any time of the day.

For the Smart ADSL products these are resold Eircom bitstream products and would have the same contention ratios as any other provider.

The 24/24 package seems like great value (if they stay in business).
    What do you mean "by sycnh you higher" sorry but i not technical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭lynchie

Contention has nothing to do with the copper line going into your home. Its to do with the number of copper lines contending for bandwidth from the exchange onwards.

Smart sync people at higher speeds as for example a 3Mb line cannot actually transmit a full 3Mbit at any one time due to network overheads so they sync at say 3.3Mb so that you cant transfer a full 3Mbit per second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

do smart have latent bandwidth that they allocate as needed to contended adsl+ users, or do they just overfire all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Didn't they (in the past) / do they advertise 1:1 contention as a selling point of their LLU2 packages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Didn't they (in the past) / do they advertise 1:1 contention as a selling point of their LLU2 packages?

As far as I remember they advertised it as contention free which for the average user it essentially is.

As far as I remember they advertised it as contention free which for the average user it essentially is.
    They don't seem to any more, or maybe I missed it when I looked just then. Maybe they were told not to anymore for legal reasons? I'm sure that even if the service feels like it's contention free, saying that it is wouldn't be exactly legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

DECEiFER wrote: »
    They don't seem to any more, or maybe I missed it when I looked just then. Maybe they were told not to anymore for legal reasons? I'm sure that even if the service feels like it's contention free, saying that it is wouldn't be exactly legal?

That's never stopped the mobile industry telling us how wonderful their "broadband" products are, advertising headline speeds and making it sound like that's the speed you will get. Misleading in the extreme.

I don't see why it would be a problem for Smart...

bealtine wrote: »
    That's never stopped the mobile industry telling us how wonderful their "broadband" products are, advertising headline speeds and making it sound like that's the speed you will get. Misleading in the extreme.

I don't see why it would be a problem for Smart...
    I agree, just curious as to why they don't seem to say it on their product pages anymore (or does it still, and I've just missed it)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement