Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP feezes on teh Welcome Screen

• 21-10-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 for 2 years now and have had my ups and downs from time to time - virus' etc on occassion. I'm not sure if this would be a virus problem since last night I ran a Malware bytes scan and nothing came up.

The last few 2 or 3 weeks as I start up the laptop on occassion the screen freezes on the XP blue welcome screen. The cursor can still be moved but it doesn't load my desktop. i'd restart and it would work. Problem is that today I was using my laptop, Windows updates had installed and wanted to restart my computer. I left it off until I was absent from it long enough that the the update auto re-booted itself. On start up it froze and no matter how many times I tried the Welcome screen is where it keeps getting stuck.

Does anyone know what I can/should do or what is causing it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hmm, I've no 100% accurate idea about what causes this but i've experienced it before, and just pass it off as a windows 'glitch'. When it happens, I usually just press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, and then go to 'File' -> 'New Task', and then just type in explorer.exe to load up the desktop. Windows can sometimes 'hang' like this too if you've a problematic device attached. Any USB keys/drives?; or USB-connected music players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Nothing is connected to the usb ports. Ctrl Alt Del doesn't do anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Hmmm!!

Seems theres a few of us on here are having similar problems!
    Click here to see similar thread

In the link above, there are a few suggestions/solutions - I havent had the chance to try any of them yet as I was too busy when I got home from work last night!!
    Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Nothing is connected to the usb ports. Ctrl Alt Del doesn't do anything either.

It could be that the hard-disk is fecked then. Run the OS in safe-mode and then see what you can make of it. A critical DLL could be missing/corrupt. Alternatively, just reinstall the OS by boosting from the CD drive first at startup.

Advertisement