Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invasion Dublin

• 21-10-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

The Emerald Garrison Star Wars costuming group is hosting Invasion Dublin over Easter weekend in the RDS Shelbourne Hall. There will be displays of props and memorabilia - including our life-sized scout walker and Tatooine skiff. NO fan should miss this!!
    If you want a preview check us out at Toys for Big Boys in the RDS 7-8 November, where the original Darth Vader, Mr. David Prowse himself will be on hand to sign autographs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

hi will tere be vintage collectables at the show from 1977-85 thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I'm not sure about that. I know that guy organising it is on very good terms with Forbidden Planet so there may be some collectables there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Sounds fantastic! The event in Easter, will that be free entry or paid and if paid where are tickets available?

I'll post an update here as soon as all the details are finalised - including how/where to get tickets.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

A life-sized scout walker :eek: omg omg omg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Have to see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭theoldalfer

I was at the last one in the RDS 10 years ago and it was pretty good. I wonted to go to celebration europe 2 years ago in London and I got the dates wrong and booked the flights and hotel the weekend after :mad::mad:. Looking forward to seeing a scout walker mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Sounds good. Keep us posted on ticket / event info!!

Here's an update of sorts - the scout walker is now on display at Toys for Big Boys in the RDS until Sunday. It's on the main floor in Shelbourne Hall - you can't miss it.
    Check out www. irelandgarrison.com for more info on the Garrison and updates on Invasion Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

i was going to start a new thread until i saw this. i'm just back from toys for big boys.
    my main reason to go there was mr. darth vader himself, david prowse. i had a good chat with david got two signed pics ( these were €20 each by the way) and got two phtots taken with him. a proper gentleman he is.the thing that surprised me was this. you had the ireland garrison there with their costumes behind a barrier and there sitting beside them was this man who nobody seemed to know. most visitors went over to the guy in the vader costume thinking it was the real vader. so thats how i managed to get a good chat with david.
    i also had a good chat with one of the garrison girls. she told me about the exhibit next easter. she also told me they're in the process of building a life size Y-wing fighter for the exhibit. alot of the actors will also be there.
    here is a link but you have to sign up by e-mail before you can access it.
    www.invasiondublin.com
    someone metioned the scout walker, it was there and a full sized one at that. but my interest was mr. prowse.

• Advertisement

So any ideas when tickets will be available for this? And how much will they be?

Go to www.invasiondublin.com and sign up - that way you'll get the updates firsthand when everything is finalised.

.the thing that surprised me was this. you had the ireland garrison there with their costumes behind a barrier and there sitting beside them was this man who nobody seemed to know.

I noticed that myself - I got a lot more attention in costume than Dave did. The barrier was a necessary evil though - with as busy as the RDS was we had to be cordoned off to keep people from damaging the costumes. 99% of people were civilised and just interested in SW and the Garrison - but that other 1% don't understand that we have all put a lot of hours and money into getting our costumes up to such a high standard. One drunk eejit argued with me that if the armour can stop bullets he should be allowed to punch the stormtroopers - WTF??

mendavep.jpg
    Couldn't resist sticking this one up on the board - me and the big man himself, David Prowse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 3DTrooper

mendavep.jpg
    Couldn't resist sticking this one up on the board - me and the big man himself, David Prowse.

Cool picture Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 3DTrooper

Hello Chris,

Love the picture. Just to let all the people know we are building 3 more life size builds for the show, cant tell what they are as that would ruin the surprise. lol

Can anyone give more details on this? ie. How much will tickets be and when will they be available.

I hate to sound impatient, but damn, I'm being impatient :D

What exactly is the lineup of this thing going to be?? Is it gona be the usual convention where things are sold, some stuff gets sold and more things are sold...or is there something more for us to look forward to?

Anyone been to the one in Belfast that could share the experience??

DETAILS!! DETAILS!! Awww the lack of Star Wars in this country wrecks my head. They had to drag me away from California in second year of college. I was surrounded by so many like minded fans of the Wars!! But here. I don't think ye guys realise, Invasion Dublin is a fix a lot of us deprived Irish Star Wars fans need. SO DETAILS!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can anyone give more details on this? ie. How much will tickets be and when will they be available.

What exactly is the lineup of this thing going to be?? Is it gona be the usual convention where things are sold, some stuff gets sold and more things are sold...or is there something more for us to look forward to?

DETAILS!! DETAILS!! Awww the lack of Star Wars in this country wrecks my head. They had to drag me away from California in second year of college. I was surrounded by so many like minded fans of the Wars!! But here. I don't think ye guys realise, Invasion Dublin is a fix a lot of us deprived Irish Star Wars fans need. SO DETAILS!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Patience young padawan - the quick fix is the short path to the Dark side!!:D:D:D

Patience young padawan - the quick fix is the short path to the Dark side!!:D:D:D

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Sounds good, great to have something like this here. I went to Celebration Europe back in 2007, not sure if anyone else here went over? I think I was expecting too much and was underwhelmed at the end of the day, big queues, jam packed and impossible to get into any of the good events, but they had some great models and there were lots of quality costumes around - Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, Biker scouts etc.

• Advertisement

there were lots of quality costumes around - Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, Biker scouts etc.

I can 100% guarantee this for ID!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nitrooper

Believe me you are in for a treat with Invasion Dublin:)

I am one of the organisers and i can announce here that you will see Lifesize replicas of: Scout Walker 24ft tall, Tatooine Skiff 32ft long, Emeprors Throne Room Set, Cantina Band Set with Han Solo in Carbonite!

Also for Invasion Dublin we are building 3 new lifesize builds that will blow fans away!!!!

Not only that we will have upwards in 70 Costumed members from our very own Emerald Garrison in attendance for photo ops etc.

You will be able to get your picture taken on the stands with the characters.

This is the ultimate fan day out and you will not be disapointed believe me.
    Our sets are of amazing quality

There will be some dealers selling toys etc but the main emphasis is on the overall attraction of the characters and set builds to make fans dreams come through.

Ticket prices have not been set yet as we are still in final stages of securing our guest actors etc.

More info available very soon, keep upto date with our progress at the following sites:

www.irelandgarrison.com
    www.invasiondublin.com

Also check out the following images and videos from the 2 previous Invasion Belfast Events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7GNhzfBqnE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRDDBSYCxl4

Thanks

Martin
    Emerald Garrison

Sounds good, great to have something like this here. I went to Celebration Europe back in 2007, not sure if anyone else here went over? I think I was expecting too much and was underwhelmed at the end of the day, big queues, jam packed and impossible to get into any of the good events, but they had some great models and there were lots of quality costumes around - Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, Biker scouts etc.

I also went to Celebration Europe and i was very disapointed also, i thought it would be much much more and thats what made me create the Invasion Belfast & Invasion Dublin events.

I wanted to create an ultimate experience that i would like to see and what other fans would like to see.

The reactions to our sets have been awsome with fans jaws dropping at the site of our lifesize creations.

Along side our Emerald Garrison brothers & sisters in costume this makes a fantastic experience indeed.

Roll on Easter 2010 :)

Check out all my pics from past 2 years following us on our road towards Invasion Belfast 1 & 2 and now on to Invasion Dublin :)

Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

nitrooper wrote: »
    Believe me you are in for a treat with Invasion Dublin:)

I am one of the organisers and i can announce here that you will see Lifesize replicas of: Scout Walker 24ft tall, Tatooine Skiff 32ft long, Emeprors Throne Room Set, Cantina Band Set with Han Solo in Carbonite!

Also for Invasion Dublin we are building 3 new lifesize builds that will blow fans away!!!!

Not only that we will have upwards in 70 Costumed members from our very own Emerald Garrison in attendance for photo ops etc.

You will be able to get your picture taken on the stands with the characters.

This is the ultimate fan day out and you will not be disapointed believe me.
    Our sets are of amazing quality

There will be some dealers selling toys etc but the main emphasis is on the overall attraction of the characters and set builds to make fans dreams come through.

Ticket prices have not been set yet as we are still in final stages of securing our guest actors etc.

More info available very soon, keep upto date with our progress at the following sites:

www.irelandgarrison.com
    www.invasiondublin.com

Also check out the following images and videos from the 2 previous Invasion Belfast Events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7GNhzfBqnE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRDDBSYCxl4

Thanks

Martin
    Emerald Garrison

hi cant wait! the wife is under orders not to book anything for that weekend lol :-) when you say toys any idea if tere will be vintage toys for sale?

i collect vintage star wars 77-85 so i would be very exsited about the prospect of vintage toys going on sale at the show

also is tere any way of finding out which actors will be tere as i would bring some vintage carded figures to get signed

cheers

hi cant wait! the wife is under orders not to book anything for that weekend lol :-) when you say toys any idea if tere will be vintage toys for sale?

i collect vintage star wars 77-85 so i would be very exsited about the prospect of vintage toys going on sale at the show

also is tere any way of finding out which actors will be tere as i would bring some vintage carded figures to get signed

cheers

Yes there should be dealers there who sell Vintage SW Toys as we have had them at previuos shows.

If you keep checking in on our websites listed above you will have a full list of actors appearing at the show.

At this time i am still finalising guest actors so i will release the names asap.

Thanks for all the info so far.

A few questions;

1. Is this thing a cash cow that will be absolutely mobbed? Was at Comic Con in San Diego a few years back. Peas in a pod doesn't describe it. WAAAY too full. It was clear that the aim of the game was pack as many people as possible in for the sake of making a profit. Didn't enjoy it at all because of this.

2. On the subject of photos with characters in sets etc; is this included in the price of the ticket? Or is the ticket going to be the cheap part?

3. Will there be any merchanise from the event itself?? Whenever I go to something like this I like to grab myself a tshirt or a poster. Some momento with the date on it. You know, "Hey, I see you were at Invasion Dublin 2010." "Ya, good craic. Wrestled a wookie, downed some Juri, slept with a Trandoshan and got high on glitterstim." You know, that sorta thing...

Thanks for all the info so far.

A few questions;

1. Is this thing a cash cow that will be absolutely mobbed? Was at Comic Con in San Diego a few years back. Peas in a pod doesn't describe it. WAAAY too full. It was clear that the aim of the game was pack as many people as possible in for the sake of making a profit. Didn't enjoy it at all because of this.

2. On the subject of photos with characters in sets etc; is this included in the price of the ticket? Or is the ticket going to be the cheap part?

3. Will there be any merchanise from the event itself?? Whenever I go to something like this I like to grab myself a tshirt or a poster. Some momento with the date on it. You know, "Hey, I see you were at Invasion Dublin 2010." "Ya, good craic. Wrestled a wookie, downed some Juri, slept with a Trandoshan and got high on glitterstim." You know, that sorta thing...

Some very good questions there.....let me try to explain.

1. Invasion Dublin is created for the fans and all work that we do is to raise money for Charity, i am sure you may know what Garrisons like ours all over the world do. As for crowd control we will be only allowing certain numbers in at any one time for safety reasons also our sets/props are so expensive we want the visitor to have time & space to enjoy them and take photos with their families.

2. All photograghs with the sets and characters are free with your admission to the show.

3. Yes we have our own Merchandise for the show including T-Shirts & Caps etc and much more.

nitrooper wrote: »
    Some very good questions there.....let me try to explain.

1. Invasion Dublin is created for the fans and all work that we do is to raise money for Charity, i am sure you may know what Garrisons like ours all over the world do. As for crowd control we will be only allowing certain numbers in at any one time for safety reasons also our sets/props are so expensive we want the visitor to have time & space to enjoy them and take photos with their families.

2. All photograghs with the sets and characters are free with your admission to the show.

3. Yes we have our own Merchandise for the show including T-Shirts & Caps etc and much more.

Sweet. And I've even managed to convince herself into tagging along...

• Advertisement

Any idea when the cost of admission will be announced?? Having gotten the 106 squid tickets to Star Wars in Concert, I have to thread cautiously or risk being thrown to the Sarlaac...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fitz1979

I thought Celebration Europe was great. I had the three day pass and bought hyperspace membership to skip the queues :).

It’s great to see something like this here, since going to the UK show I've been thinking about taking a trip to one of the big shows in the US. My girlfriend loved it too and she isn't that bothered by Star Wars.

I hadn't even heard of the NI events that have been held. pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

So when exactly is this going ahead? Haven't heard much about it recently. Have ticket prices been decided yet?

This is still going ahead over Easter weekend 2010 as planned. Updates on here have been scarce because the CO of the Emerald Garrison and his partner recently had a baby girl - which tends to take up quite a bit of time!! ;-)
    I have had the privilege of seeing some of the display pieces for Invasion Dublin and I must say that even as a die-hard, difficult to impress fan of Star Wars the props for this show are mind-blowing. I don't know if I'm allowed to say who, but another original trilogy actor has also signed on to appear.

The EG is working with a promotional agency to get the message about ID1 out to as many people as possible and like any big event there are many details to be ironed out before going public.

So patience good fans - I know it's hard waiting but hang in there! This will happen and a tremendous amount of work by many people has already gone into it. As soon as the details are finalised our CO will make the announcement you've all been waiting for!

So when exactly is this going ahead? Haven't heard much about it recently. Have ticket prices been decided yet?

Ticket pricing would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rogue T

Only six weeks to go until this amazing event.

I know all the members of the Emerald Garrison are working hard on finalising and perfecting their costumes, with many new costumes ready for action at this event.

This will be an experience not to be missed. The line up of actors confirmed to date is astounding and the life size sets are too awesome for words.

As Chris has said previously our CO (NI Trooper) will be announcing the final details on this really soon and although the thread has been quiet this event is definately going ahead and will be a day our for the family to enjoy and an absolutely must see for any Star Wars fans.

Stay tuned for ticket details and show times.

• Advertisement

Due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, the venue for Invasion Dublin is now CityWest - the date/times are the same, as is the lineup of original trilogy actors that will appear.
    Look for full details to be revealed this weekend at www.invasiondublin.com (the company promoting ID is also doing SW in Concert and can't advertise Invasion until after the concert is over - some legal mumbo-jumbo at work)
    Thanks for your patience everyone and hope to see you there!!

Make that www.invasiondublin.ie
    Sorry!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

Ticket pricing would be nice.

It looks like tickets are from €10 (for the early bird special offers) with discounts for parties of four - http://www.tickets.ie

Search under Invasion

Full details including the list of actors scheduled to appear and ticket pricing are now available on www.invasiondublin.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Thanks for the info!

Going to buy tickets now for the Monday.

Are there any Imperial Officer garrison members that will be there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nemesis Prime

Does anyone know if there is going to be any Public or TV advertising for the event? With so little time to spare now, not alot of people, including myself hadn't a clue it was happening and with such short notice. If it wasn't for the staff in Forbidden Planet and Modelmania I wouldn't have found out about this at all and they don't even know the full details!
    The Concert was well advertised a few months in advance.

Thanks for the info!

Going to buy tickets now for the Monday.

Are there any Imperial Officer garrison members that will be there?

We have a Grand Moff and an Imperial Gunner - I believe they are both signed up for this event.
    Does anyone know if there is going to be any Public or TV advertising for the event? With so little time to spare now, not alot of people, including myself hadn't a clue it was happening and with such short notice. If it wasn't for the staff in Forbidden Planet and Modelmania I wouldn't have found out about this at all and they don't even know the full details!

The concert and Invasion are/were both promoted by MCD -I think there was some kind of legal agreement that Invasion wouldn't start to be publicised until after the concert took place. I'm not sure about TV coverage but there should be some billboards and posters around - maybe another Garrison member can answer this one better than me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Invasion Dublin

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your queries etc. We're going to be on Boards answering any questions you may have for us and a cool competition as well. (Many thanks to Darragh and Dav for all their help too)

Show takes place April 3rd-5th at Citywest in Dublin

Ticket prices are available on Tickets.ie/invasion
    It's obviously cheaper to pre book your tickets. Ticket prices can be as low as 7.50 per person (based on a 4 person ticket)

+
    We have a Grand Moff and an Imperial Gunner - I believe they are both signed up for this event.

The concert and Invasion are/were both promoted by MCD -I think there was some kind of legal agreement that Invasion wouldn't start to be publicised until after the concert took place. I'm not sure about TV coverage but there should be some billboards and posters around - maybe another Garrison member can answer this one better than me??

Correct.
    In terms of PR you will find we were on ICE on RTE today, Darth Vader and Princess Leia will be on Podge and Rodge (god help them) Monday prior to the show.
    There are TV ads, radio, online and print planned so by showtime the whole country will know about the Invasion!

We have a website Invasion Dublin and sure become a fan on Facebook too

Myself and members of the Emerald Garrison will be checking in often to answer any questions you have!

Craig.

Check out the EG on ICE
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1069007

An interview with one of our very own Clone Shocktroopers starts around the 5 minute mark.
    Enjoy!

Are the VIP tickets worth it? Was looking at the 1-night one.

Would I have to wear a costume to the costume party? Because until they make breathable Sith robes I just sweat waaaay too much...

Are the VIP tickets worth it? Was looking at the 1-night one.

Would I have to wear a costume to the costume party? Because until they make breathable Sith robes I just sweat waaaay too much...

The party will be attended by Emerald Garrison costume characters: the crews that designed and built the props and backdrops; the actors will be invited along; and the people who are attending Invasion Dublin on the VIP residential package. No pressure to dress up at all - just to attend and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

fitz1979 wrote: »
    I hadn't even heard of the NI events that have been held. pity.

The one NI event these guys have organised that I have attended kicked my ass - Invasion Belfast II. Seen some of the new costumes and one (at least I think) of the newer vehicles on the site. So far its looking like it s going to be much better than IBII. Too bad I'm missing out on this one lol. Roll on IBIII :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 floodser14

jst wondering how much the VIP tix are going for? also will there be force fx lightsabres 4 sale? and is there a ticket u can buy to skip the Qs

floodser14 wrote: »
    jst wondering how much the VIP tix are going for? also will there be force fx lightsabres 4 sale? and is there a ticket u can buy to skip the Qs

Hi Floodser14, Tickets for the aftershow party on the Saturday are 20e
    We'll know more about what's going on sale at the show closer to the date but there will be merchandise there.

We don't have a ticket for skipping the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 floodser14

Sounds deadly cant wait 4 it, any idea which actors will b there apart frm darth vader

• Advertisement
Advertisement