Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invasion Dublin

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

Was there on sunday , drove all the way up from sligo.

Have to say was a little disappointed with what was there.
    Great that it was for charity.

Got to get a picture with Vader , Emperor..... CLASS ,29 going on 12 again:D
    Met the guy who played Boba Fett ,he was so nice and everybody else
    that was there was sooo friendly.

What bothered me was looking through the brochure and it seemed the
    belfast one was way way better than dublins. Anybody want to correct me on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Anyone know is it on again somewhere else? Or is it on every year?

Richie15 wrote: »
    Anyone know is it on again somewhere else? Or is it on every year?

Check out www.emeraldgarrison.ie ,these are the guys who organised it.

you might get some info there;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Was there on sunday , drove all the way up from sligo.

Have to say was a little disappointed with what was there.
    Great that it was for charity.

Got to get a picture with Vader , Emperor..... CLASS ,29 going on 12 again:D
    Met the guy who played Boba Fett ,he was so nice and everybody else
    that was there was sooo friendly.

What bothered me was looking through the brochure and it seemed the
    belfast one was way way better than dublins. Anybody want to correct me on that?
    No..that's a fair feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I spoke to one of the ladies on the floor and she said that yes, Invasion Belfast is bigger and more established. It's in a section of the Odyssey Arena called 'W5' which has three floors dedicated to space-type stuff so sounds the ideal venue for an event like this.

I was a little underwhelmed when I went in as I had been expecting more. However, the people running it and the guys/girls in costume gave of themselves so much that they really made it special. Everyone in the family, from ourselves down to our six year old daughter had a great time posing for photos with them and it was a real privilege to meet some of the cast. Jeremy Bulloch was a complete gentleman and lovely to talk to and Kenny Baker and his wife were great to meet.

It was a shame David Prowse wasn't well enough to make it. I was all fired up to meet him but the lady I spoke with said that they were aiming to get himself and Warwick Davies (Wicket) over for the next Belfast one in October. We'll definitely be making the trip up for that. :)

Jen ;->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TK3118

Hi guys Im TK3118 from the EG just want to say its was a blast doing the show in Dublin and hopefully we will be back next year was really great to give you guys down south the same as what the fans up north have had, so a little info for you guys. The belfast show has a bigger fan base becasue its been going for past 2 years and now entering its 3rd Year should be 1st week of October if all goes wel this year shhhh i didnt tell you!!!

W5 is the venue for the Belfast show and is a science and discovery centre for kids and schools so it has its own exhibits all year round it has 5 floors and is more compact that City West so when we host Invasion Belfast in W5 along with are sets it looks like theres alot more going on.

We are currently building more and more props and sets and costumes for our shows so each year we have something new for eveyone, I think there a new set going into production shortly so you will have to wait and see what it is.

Each member of the garrison volunteers there own time, Makes there own costumes, and does not get paid for any of the events or get expenses , Every event is for a charity and we dont make any money out of it what so ever, We do this for the fun and enjoyment for ourselfs and others.

We are always looking for new members though you have to be over 18 you dont have to have a costume to join, You can crew (WHO ARE VERY IMPORTANT) for the events and look after the costumed guys and girls and see how you feel about doing a costume as you learn sometimes it best to start as crew to see the workings of the club before making the leap into a costume.

We have very strict guidelines for are costumes those that dont make the grade would be helped by fellow members to get them on the right track overall we help each other because we enjoy doing what we do.

Hope that gives you guys a little insight to how we work any questions fire away and ill try and answer the best i can.

Thanks for Supporting ID1
    TK3118

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Guillaume

A very poor and small exhibition indeed. Few replicas, only 2 memorabilia shops (one also with silver statues not in the theme of Star Wars !), few guys in costumes posing for kids, very little original items exposed and 2 or 3 original cast signing for 15 euros.... A total rip off. The venue itself was ok, while quite far from City Center.
    I was very disappointed, according to the great publicity made everywhere about this "convention". It was actually NOT a convention. On Easter Sunday Prowse was not there (in the afternoon). As the price was high, 15 euros, the expectation great, the result was appalling ! In around 15 minutes you would have visited every thing ! Where were the fans ?
    Not even the movies themselves were to be found, on a screen or to be sold ! It looked like a draft of a convention of something !
    Star Wars deserves FAR better than this, so the fans in Ireland !
    :mad::mad::mad:

Jenroche wrote: »
    I spoke to one of the ladies on the floor and she said that yes, Invasion Belfast is bigger and more established. It's in a section of the Odyssey Arena called 'W5' which has three floors dedicated to space-type stuff so sounds the ideal venue for an event like this.

I was a little underwhelmed when I went in as I had been expecting more. However, the people running it and the guys/girls in costume gave of themselves so much that they really made it special. Everyone in the family, from ourselves down to our six year old daughter had a great time posing for photos with them and it was a real privilege to meet some of the cast. Jeremy Bulloch was a complete gentleman and lovely to talk to and Kenny Baker and his wife were great to meet.

It was a shame David Prowse wasn't well enough to make it. I was all fired up to meet him but the lady I spoke with said that they were aiming to get himself and Warwick Davies (Wicket) over for the next Belfast one in October. We'll definitely be making the trip up for that. :)

Jen ;->

ahh so thats why i didnt see him there , i actually thaugh ohh he might be at the after party but i didnt have time to go:rolleyes:
    Kool thanks for the info ,will deffo be in belfast in october:D

Guillaume wrote: »
    A very poor and small exhibition indeed. Few replicas, only 2 memorabilia shops (one also with silver statues not in the theme of Star Wars !), few guys in costumes posing for kids, very little original items exposed and 2 or 3 original cast signing for 15 euros.... A total rip off. The venue itself was ok, while quite far from City Center.
    I was very disappointed, according to the great publicity made everywhere about this "convention". It was actually NOT a convention. On Easter Sunday Prowse was not there (in the afternoon). As the price was high, 15 euros, the expectation great, the result was appalling ! In around 15 minutes you would have visited every thing ! Where were the fans ?
    Not even the movies themselves were to be found, on a screen or to be sold ! It looked like a draft of a convention of something !
    Kids loved it though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nemesis Prime

Absolutly fantastic show, the gang I brought had a great day out getting phtos with all the guys in costume and props. I even managed to snag a few very hard to find figures and some vintage Last 17 figures too! Glad to see some Boxed vintage stuff on display and show the new kids what real Star Wars toys were like :) Broke now but so worth it.
    People complaining about €15 in , wow, you can spend that on absolute nothing anytime these days. Toatal value for money, If Lucas or Fox were in charge expect at least €50 entrance fee. At least part of your admission was going to charity, Barrretstown.

• Advertisement

Absolutly fantastic show, the gang I brought had a great day out getting phtos with all the guys in costume and props. I even managed to snag a few very hard to find figures and some vintage Last 17 figures too! Glad to see some Boxed vintage stuff on display and show the new kids what real Star Wars toys were like :) Broke now but so worth it.
    People complaining about €15 in , wow, you can spend that on absolute nothing anytime these days. Toatal value for money, If Lucas or Fox were in charge expect at least €50 entrance fee. At least part of your admission was going to charity, Barrretstown.
    :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

We went up on Sunday, initially I thought it was a little quick to get around but once we started to get pictures with the characters and chatting and stuff it seemed very enjoyable. We were in and out in about 2 hours, a friend went with his much younger kids and they commented that "it was the best day of their lives"... so it did seem better for littler kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TK3118

As one of the members of the EG I feel this was not a total rip off as you put it, There were 4 Original Movie Actors should have been 5 only Dave P fell down the stairs in his home on wednesday night before the show after recovering from a new hip replacement and was then to ill to come over due to the fall, we found out on thurday morning so nothing we could do there.

There was 2 memorabila starwars stores and 3 other stores from paintings to sculptures and event items, Some shops pulled out at the last minute so it was too short notice for us to do anything about, Forbidden Planet only had the stock in the shop and didnt have time to order more in for the show so they pulled out, Plus when new events come some stores dont like to jump in first time round as they dont know what to expect.

We want to get the balance right for Hardcore fans and family fun so theres more fine tuneing to be done as I say this was are first time in Dublin so didnt know what to expect were with the belfast show we have been doing it now for 2 years going into are 3rd show this October and know what they like and dont like.

Some advertising restrictions were put on ID due to star wars in concert we were not allowed to start advertising fully until it had left Ireland so that may have effected numbers attending

Please tell me were you can see this Many Lifesize sets/props to do with starwars anywere else in the world without costing an arm and a leg, Lucas film dont even have there own sets they use mostley the 501st belgian garrison sets for there celeabration events as they did in london and japan and werid and wonderfuls, I can assure you they would charge well over 15e entrance fee plus there was the early bid offers near half the price online.

A Few guys in constume posing for kids it was more 50/50 parents as well we have over 33 costumed members on Rotation at this event it can get very hot in costume and we have to look after the health of are members this is why not all 35 were out at once people need breaks to cool down get food and water at any one time half the cast were out on the floor on on a set, If you read my previous post were not paid actors in costume we doing it out of our own time for the enjoyment of others.

All I can say is that we will take on what you have said and hopefully if we come back next year it might suit your tastes better if you decided to return.

Thank you for your Time
    TK3118

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭theoldalfer

I went monday and enjoyed it. I thought it would be bigger but was good for 1st time event, look forward to next year. Loved the sand trooper and scout trooper costumes and the speeder bike:D:D:D i wont one. And the main thing the kids loved it

TK3118 wrote: »
    As one of the members of the EG I feel this was not a total rip off as you put it, There were 4 Original Movie Actors should have been 5 only Dave P fell down the stairs in his home on wednesday night before the show after recovering from a new hip replacement and was then to ill to come over due to the fall, we found out on thurday morning so nothing we could do there.

There was 2 memorabila starwars stores and 3 other stores from paintings to sculptures and event items, Some shops pulled out at the last minute so it was too short notice for us to do anything about, Forbidden Planet only had the stock in the shop and didnt have time to order more in for the show so they pulled out, Plus when new events come some stores dont like to jump in first time round as they dont know what to expect.

We want to get the balance right for Hardcore fans and family fun so theres more fine tuneing to be done as I say this was are first time in Dublin so didnt know what to expect were with the belfast show we have been doing it now for 2 years going into are 3rd show this October and know what they like and dont like.

Some advertising restrictions were put on ID due to star wars in concert we were not allowed to start advertising fully until it had left Ireland so that may have effected numbers attending

Please tell me were you can see this Many Lifesize sets/props to do with starwars anywere else in the world without costing an arm and a leg, Lucas film dont even have there own sets they use mostley the 501st belgian garrison sets for there celeabration events as they did in london and japan and werid and wonderfuls, I can assure you they would charge well over 15e entrance fee plus there was the early bid offers near half the price online.

A Few guys in constume posing for kids it was more 50/50 parents as well we have over 33 costumed members on Rotation at this event it can get very hot in costume and we have to look after the health of are members this is why not all 35 were out at once people need breaks to cool down get food and water at any one time half the cast were out on the floor on on a set, If you read my previous post were not paid actors in costume we doing it out of our own time for the enjoyment of others.

All I can say is that we will take on what you have said and hopefully if we come back next year it might suit your tastes better if you decided to return.

Thank you for your Time
    TK3118

Thanks also for your answer. I did visit the ID as a fan, not as a kid. Kids are easily satisfied. However, yes I feel this show was mostly intended for them. But the StarWars exposition was far to satisfy the fans.
    Few good points however : Props/sets were really good. The R2D2 robot was amazing. All the costumes were really great and realistic.
    So may I make some suggestions for next time :

• Why not invite some die hard fans to present their personal collection of memorabilia (not necessary to be sold) as they also can interact with the public.
    • Diffuse LOTS of Starwars Posters all over the place.
    • Show the movies on screen;
    • Organise discussions between adults fans and the persons invited.
    • Shops should not only sale toys, but also : DVD, CDS of Williams soundtrack, books, posters, etc...
    I dont know, the starwars universe is big enough to organize a far bigger expo/convention : what about the LEGO (building a "set" with the little bricks), the video games (put a PS3 or Xbox somewhere),
    There are many many other things to do, I reckon. Do not only focus on pleasing the kids. If you also focus on pleasing the adults (my generation of the "old" trilogy...), you will please the kids as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

If this was to happen at ID, your 15 euro ticket would suddenly jump to around 50 euro. Lucasfilm charges a hefty fee for public exhibition of their copyrighted property. Groups like the EG get away with hosting shows like Invasion because Uncle George generously allows us to display fan-made copies of costumes and props as long as it is not for profit - hence the support of Barretstown.
      I think the only way you'll see the movies played is if Lucasfilm itself sets up the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Out of curiousity, does the €15 mention refer to admission price and autographs or was it 2 x €15 for autographs and admission?

Keep up the good work, lads. I'll definitely try to make it a long if this happens again. I couldn't make it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BM264

Thanks also for your answer. I did visit the ID as a fan, not as a kid. Kids are easily satisfied. However, yes I feel this show was mostly intended for them. But the StarWars exposition was far to satisfy the fans.
    Few good points however : Props/sets were really good. The R2D2 robot was amazing. All the costumes were really great and realistic.
    So may I make some suggestions for next time :

• Why not invite some die hard fans to present their personal collection of memorabilia (not necessary to be sold) as they also can interact with the public.
    • Diffuse LOTS of Starwars Posters all over the place.
    • Organise discussions between adults fans and the persons invited.
    • Shops should not only sale toys, but also : DVD, CDS of Williams soundtrack, books, posters, etc...
    I dont know, the starwars universe is big enough to organize a far bigger expo/convention : what about the LEGO (building a "set" with the little bricks), the video games (put a PS3 or Xbox somewhere),
    There are many many other things to do, I reckon. Do not only focus on pleasing the kids. If you also focus on pleasing the adults (my generation of the "old" trilogy...), you will please the kids as well. :)

Guillaume,

Those are some nice ideas you have, but unfortunately they just aren't that practical.

Fan Memorabilia: The exhibition space is carefully planned out and each exhibit and stall is allocated an area far in advance. Where would the fans set up their own exhibits? How would they be transported? Who would guarantee their safety while on exhibit? The EG exhibits are subject to very strict quality control, whereas fan memorabilia would not be.

Star Wars Posters: There were three of the largest Star Wars posters I have ever seen displayed in a back-lit display frame in the centre of the hall. There were Invasion posters for sale from the stalls. The hall was massive and lit only by special effects lights from the exhibits. Would some posters displayed around the periphery have made any impact? Would you rather see a poster of a stormtrooper or Darth Vader, or see them 'in the flesh' so to speak?

Show the Movies: As has already been said - showing licenced Lucasfilm/Lucasarts movies, music or any other media requires an EXTREMELY expensive public broadcast licence. You could expect to easily triple the admission price to compensate for that. Then there is the matter of the display for such media. Anything less than a full size cinema screen wouldn't do the movies justice, so what would be the point in showing them on a lesser scale?

Organise Discussions: The actors were there all day. They chatted to everyone and anyone, young and old. They even chatted to ME and I make as much sense as a barrel of monkeys most of the time. They had a full Q&A session that lasted at least 1/2 an hour each and they were more than happy to field questions both silly and serious. Add to that the fact that they made themselves available for an informal chat in the hotel bar where no children were present to any fans that wanted to say hello! They couldn't have done more for fans attending the event and the only questions, from adults or children, that they didn't answer were questions that they weren't asked! Unless you mean you want to ask them _adult_ questions, in which case I'm not sure I want to know... :/

Shops and Memorabilia: Again, as was said before, there were last minute difficulties with some of the stalls and beyond this, the event organisers have no control over what the stores decide to sell. I spoke to a couple of the vendors and they told me they could have sold out some of their stock three times over, while other thigs sold less well. This is a learning experience for everyone involved. Once retailers speak to each other after this event they will have more confidence that they can sell items and I would have a reasonable expectation that any future events would be supported by vendors even more! I don't personally think that DVDs and books would have sold well, as I can almost guarantee you that every person who walked through that door has access to all six movies in several formats in their home.

Games: As with other media - expensive and difficult to manage. Do people queue up to play a game they probably already have in their own living room? Are crew members taken away from looking after Darth Vader to look after an XBOX? If there was one of the old Star Wars arcade cabinets there for an exhibit, that might have been workable, but really, this isn't a games expo. Is this about showing off high scores or displaying crazy Force Unleashed skillz? What would be the point of havign people watch a TV screen when all around them are sights and sounds from the movies, large as life? OF course, this will all change if Lucasarts decide to re-issue X-Wing vs TIE Fighter for the consoles. I'll be setting up the LAN myself should that happen! :D

Invasion isn't about 'pleasing the kids' as you put it. I saw plenty of happy kids there, but I also saw plenty of happy adults too. ALL of them were fans. Invasion is about seeing something that you Can Not Get Anywhere Else. Life size sets, movie-accurate costumes and the guys and girls of the Emerald Garrison who pour thousands of pounds EACH into making costumes, designing sets, travelling hundreds of miles and standing, posing, marching, arresting, saluting, saber-dueling, blasting, hugging, singing and dancing for ten hours a day all for the love of Star Wars and the desire to do something great for the fans.

To put it into perspective. I paid 30 Euro for a family ticket into Dublin Zoo on Easter Sunday and I got to see a gorilla poop into it's own hand. I'll admit I wouldn't see that in many other places, but I'd still prefer to see a Y-Wing, thanks.

Very Best Regards,

D

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I got the early bird tickets for Sunday and brought my 5yo nephew. I really didn't know what to exepct going in and initially I was a little disappointed but looking back I think it was because it was such an open area that it didn't look like there was much to see or do.

The entrance was great, an empire officer and a storm trooper on the door were great craic. My nephew dressed as Darth Vader walked through and when I went through the "detector" went off as I was a rebellion sympathiser. That was a good start.

My nephew was awe struck looking at all the people in costume and they were excellent. Definitely good to see you maintain such a high standard. Got photos with everyone we could find who were more than willing and all very friendly. The vehicles were amazing but would have loved to be able to get pics of my nephew on some of them. R2D2 robot was really cool, fair play to whoever spent many hours perfecting him. My nephew did cute face me into getting him a princess leia figure as it was one of the few he didn't have.

The laser show was ok, nothing great but good to pass a little time and rest the feet for 10 mins. I would have loved to have seen some of the Q&A's but they didn't start til 2pm and we were there by ten and ready to leave about 11:30 so wasn't going to hang around that long. That was a big let down for me but my nephew had no interest in the people behind the masks. As far as he was concerned the EG guys were who they were playing.

I put together a poster of my nephew meeting all the characters and was wondering if it would be ok to use the website header so it will look really cool if I print it for him as it has the date on it so it marks the occasion well. Could someone from EG let me know if this would be ok?

Thanks guys, you put on a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Went on the Saturday. Have to say my young fella loved it and the characters where great with the kids.

However, it being my first convention type thing I wasn't impressed with finding out the stars where charging for photos / autographs. I visited the Invasion website a couple of times before hand and no where was mentioned about these fees, so was pretty pissed I'd not enough cash on hand for my kid to go get stuff signed / pics etc. FWIW I've no problem paying for autographs / pics just would appreciated knowing about it before hand.

Though he was mainly there for Prowse and he knew no different when told Prowse was just dressed up as Vader :-)

So all in all a very good time was had but maybe more info on the website next time???

BM264 wrote: »
    Guillaume,

Those are some nice ideas you have, but unfortunately they just aren't that practical.

Fan Memorabilia: The exhibition space is carefully planned out and each exhibit and stall is allocated an area far in advance. Where would the fans set up their own exhibits? How would they be transported? Who would guarantee their safety while on exhibit? The EG exhibits are subject to very strict quality control, whereas fan memorabilia would not be.

Star Wars Posters: There were three of the largest Star Wars posters I have ever seen displayed in a back-lit display frame in the centre of the hall. There were Invasion posters for sale from the stalls. The hall was massive and lit only by special effects lights from the exhibits. Would some posters displayed around the periphery have made any impact? Would you rather see a poster of a stormtrooper or Darth Vader, or see them 'in the flesh' so to speak?

Show the Movies: As has already been said - showing licenced Lucasfilm/Lucasarts movies, music or any other media requires an EXTREMELY expensive public broadcast licence. You could expect to easily triple the admission price to compensate for that. Then there is the matter of the display for such media. Anything less than a full size cinema screen wouldn't do the movies justice, so what would be the point in showing them on a lesser scale?

Organise Discussions: The actors were there all day. They chatted to everyone and anyone, young and old. They even chatted to ME and I make as much sense as a barrel of monkeys most of the time. They had a full Q&A session that lasted at least 1/2 an hour each and they were more than happy to field questions both silly and serious. Add to that the fact that they made themselves available for an informal chat in the hotel bar where no children were present to any fans that wanted to say hello! They couldn't have done more for fans attending the event and the only questions, from adults or children, that they didn't answer were questions that they weren't asked! Unless you mean you want to ask them _adult_ questions, in which case I'm not sure I want to know... :/

Shops and Memorabilia: Again, as was said before, there were last minute difficulties with some of the stalls and beyond this, the event organisers have no control over what the stores decide to sell. I spoke to a couple of the vendors and they told me they could have sold out some of their stock three times over, while other thigs sold less well. This is a learning experience for everyone involved. Once retailers speak to each other after this event they will have more confidence that they can sell items and I would have a reasonable expectation that any future events would be supported by vendors even more! I don't personally think that DVDs and books would have sold well, as I can almost guarantee you that every person who walked through that door has access to all six movies in several formats in their home.

Games: As with other media - expensive and difficult to manage. Do people queue up to play a game they probably already have in their own living room? Are crew members taken away from looking after Darth Vader to look after an XBOX? If there was one of the old Star Wars arcade cabinets there for an exhibit, that might have been workable, but really, this isn't a games expo. Is this about showing off high scores or displaying crazy Force Unleashed skillz? What would be the point of havign people watch a TV screen when all around them are sights and sounds from the movies, large as life? OF course, this will all change if Lucasarts decide to re-issue X-Wing vs TIE Fighter for the consoles. I'll be setting up the LAN myself should that happen! :D

Invasion isn't about 'pleasing the kids' as you put it. I saw plenty of happy kids there, but I also saw plenty of happy adults too. ALL of them were fans. Invasion is about seeing something that you Can Not Get Anywhere Else. Life size sets, movie-accurate costumes and the guys and girls of the Emerald Garrison who pour thousands of pounds EACH into making costumes, designing sets, travelling hundreds of miles and standing, posing, marching, arresting, saluting, saber-dueling, blasting, hugging, singing and dancing for ten hours a day all for the love of Star Wars and the desire to do something great for the fans.

To put it into perspective. I paid 30 Euro for a family ticket into Dublin Zoo on Easter Sunday and I got to see a gorilla poop into it's own hand. I'll admit I wouldn't see that in many other places, but I'd still prefer to see a Y-Wing, thanks.

Very Best Regards,

D

/rant

Excellent answer. Ok, I recognized that I went trough the Episode I : The Phantom Menace feeling : great expectation for a proportional disappointment. :p Fortunately Jajar Bink was nowhere to see in Dublin ! :cool:. It was the first time I attend this kind of things, and regarding to the adverts, videos and others conventions organised in the UK for example, I was expecting lots more. That's it. But fair enough, thanks anyway to the lads who organised it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

I don't see why there have been criticisms made of this - I had an absolute blast. Sure it wasn't huge, but it wasn't the size but rather the quality that made it impressive. From an engineering perspective alone it was very impressive. I went for the overnight package, and for me, the highlight of the event was the pub that evening chatting with members of the Garrison who were very friendly. For me, this was a Star Wars filled weekend that was very very memorable. Well done Garrison, for an unnofficial convention this was as good as it gets. 10/10

I threw up a few photos if anyone's interested:
    http://thewafflefactory.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/invasion-dublin/

Again, well done to the Garrison.

I don't see why there have been criticisms made of this - I had an absolute blast. Sure it wasn't huge, but it wasn't the size but rather the quality that made it impressive. From an engineering perspective alone it was very impressive. I went for the overnight package, and for me, the highlight of the event was the pub that evening chatting with members of the Garrison who were very friendly. For me, this was a Star Wars filled weekend that was very very memorable. Well done Garrison, for an unnofficial convention this was as good as it gets. 10/10

I threw up a few photos if anyone's interested:
    http://thewafflefactory.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/invasion-dublin/

Again, well done to the Garrison.
    Love the scout pic...fecking ewoks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BM264

Excellent answer. Ok, I recognized that I went trough the Episode I : The Phantom Menace feeling : great expectation for a proportional disappointment. :p Fortunately Jajar Bink was nowhere to see in Dublin ! :cool:. It was the first time I attend this kind of things, and regarding to the adverts, videos and others conventions organised in the UK for example, I was expecting lots more. That's it. But fair enough, thanks anyway to the lads who organised it.

I hope I didn't sound like I was getting at you Guillaume! I know there haven't been many of these types of event, especially here in Ireland. Those giant conventions across the pond are usually the result of a number of organisations getting together and pooling resources. Others have corporate sponsorship or approval. The EG won't rest on their laurels, don't worry! Invasion will be back, bigger and better than before! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I went on Sunday with the Oh and a friend (all big nerds) and we loved it. It was never going to be like the big American conventions, but hopefully it'll be bigger if they do it next year! It's only year 1 in Dublin after all.
    I've seen a couple of people complaining about autograph prices here but to be honest that's just life, 15euro for the chance to meet my heros and shake their hands? No problem. And I got my photo with Kenny Baker! :D Sure it's not like it was expensive to get in and free parking.
    I was sad to hear Dave Prowse couldn't make it (though very thankful that I got to meet him at Toys for Big Boys!!).
    Loved the R2D2 model that guy was driving around! He made it himself- the legend, he let me hug it :D *happy warm feeling*
    But yeah, overall it was just good fun! I definatly would go next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Invasion Dublin

Hey all!

Thanks for all your comments and feedback, we've definetly taken it all on board. We were delighted to see so many happy faces and the pictures uploaded onto the facebook page were fantastic.

Be sure to check out the legends at the Emerald Garrison at www.irelandgarrison.com

Untill the next time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

Although I did thoroughly enjoy the day and will be going again next year, I thought it was very small. I know jedi con was on in germany but its not a sufficent excuss who asked mon mothma eh she was in the pt for 30 seconds i think. (pt fan) I also think the guys selling the action figures had a limted selection all i saw were p[admes and zam weasslles. next time guys more arc troopers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Invasion Dublin

Hey all

Just to let you know that Invasion is returning to Dublin, this time in the bigger RDS Easter weekend (April 23-25th)

As well as some of the favourites from last year we'll have guest appearances from David Prowse, Jeremy Bulloch, Garrick Hagon and Steve Sansweet (Star Wars author, Mega Collector, and longtime Star Wars fan ambassador for Lucasfilm)

We'll also have the JediAcademy for the young ones and lots more merchandise stalls.

For all the latest info check out www.invasion.ie

Advertisement