Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things You May Have Forgotten about Phantom...

• 21-10-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭

You probably do remember the Album Archive as presented by Derek Byrne, which was dropped during this year. Firstly, do you remember that it used to be on Saturdays at 9pm? But how many remember that John Caddell was the original presenter of the show?....Derek Byrne was confined to little items about health tips! John Caddell's main program on the temporary licence runs in 2003 and 2004 was in fact the Album Archive, which I believe he also did when Phantom was a pirate.

You may have forgotten that.....

Brian Daly (Brian D), Phantom's marketing man, had a show on Sunday afternoons and was indeed very much part of its team of deejays during its pirate and temporary runs.

The original presenter of ICON (when it used to be on Tuesdays at 8pm) was Aidan Lynch, formerly known as Paul Clarke. He did his first ICON shows during the temporary licence runs.

The Anorak Hour ran on Sundays from 9 to 10am, presented by Chief Executive Ger Rowe until April 1st 2007. The show went way back (not at 9am though!) to the beginnings of Phantom and, indeed, before that. It was temporarily called Media Beacon during, that's right, the temporary licence runs.

The original presenter of Rock Census was John Walshe.

There used to be a program on Thursdays at 8pm called The Producers which featured new international music. The original presenter was John Walshe and then Richie McCormack. This idea (and program title) went right back to the temporary-licenced period.

Nightlink (the slot between midnight and 2) used to be on Thursdays and Sundays, as well as the current Friday and Saturday slots.
    The schedule used to be as follows:
    Thursday - John Meehan
    Friday - Shane Galvin (same as now)
    Saturday - Riley
    Sunday - Laura Lee Conboy

James Byrne (now on Saturday's Nightlink slot) used to be on from 02:00-04:00 during the early hours of Sunday. He was the only one who was on that late any night since Phantom went permanent.

The Two Petes Talk Rubbish... yes, indeed! On Sunday nights between 9pm and 10pm, Sinister Pete and Simon Maher, aka Pete Reid (hence the title), did as described. This was part of the original schedule and went back to the temporary licenced runs.

When Phantom started its full-time licenced run, the broadcasting staff consisted of many who went back to the pirate days, some who only went back to the temporary licenced runs and some brand new voices. All of the former Phantom pirate deejays, who made it to the current stage, had been there during the temporary licence runs except for two individuals. These two, who were with Phantom the pirate and Phantom the full-time station, but not Phantom the temporary station, were Edel Coffey and John Walshe.
    Sadly, neither are with Phantom anymore.

.....Any more memories of Phantom that others may have forgotten about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Very impressive memory Declan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I liked BrianD's sunday afternoon show.

Also the Hangover Breakfast show on Saturday afternoon with Paul Field aka Richie Ryan.

Alison Curtis and Jenny Houston were very good in their phantom days too and Cormac Battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lee Keebhum

...it used to be good and worth tuning into, not the largely drivelly MTV-lite nonsense thats pumped out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i'd love even just once a month the two petes to come back i have three of there podcasts on my creative and it brings back good memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The fluffy(maybe it was Flopsy) the bunny promo. I didnt care for it, but it used to get a positive text response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Been living out of Ireland for 2 years now, so I'm so out of the loop. Phantom is basically the reason I have my current taste in music. I'm almost 26, and I remember hearing Phantom for the first time in what would have been around 1998 maybe. Broadcast from the shed in Sandymount or somewhere like that :) I was flicking through the stations and heard 'Dream On' by Aerosmith, stopped and had just realised I'd found this cool new station. I remember hearing stuff like NPB Feeding Frenzy, Turn 'Facedown', Kerbdog, JJ72, Junkster, all this stuff, great stuff, that no other Irish station would touch. It was fantastic.
    I remember the show with that Jack guy, used to use the name Jack Black, it was kind of like a man-show, lots of talk about boobies etc. He may have been American.
    Phantom at the weekends was my favourite, the English guy with the funny voice giving the football reports etc. It was terrible, but hilarious. I loved waking up on a Sunday before rugby training to the sound of Pearls voice. It almost sounded like she was naked and playing with her self. Oh the fantasies!.
    One of my best memories of Phantom is when I came in from the pub for the first time, must have been around 17, around 2am, turned on the radio and Ca Planne Pour Moi was blasting! Took my clothes off and drunkenly danced around the room only to be shouted at by me oul one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

The girly hour was great with Alison and Jenny who were two of the best phantom djs ever.

Also i remember back in the days when you texted in the djs would sometimes text you back. I remember having a text war with the english richie that does stadium rock after he called man utd the scum.. but it was all in good fun :)

was there the phantom 3 pack or 6 pack where they played some songs a listener had chosen? that was a good idea bring that back.

And i remember when the music played was much more eclectic and less predicable...have to get my little dig in at the end :)

Ahhh the golden days of phantom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just remember listening to the station from opening to close something I dont think Ive ever did before or will ever do again. The old iPod has replaced radio long ago for me.

Advertisement