Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power switch won't turn off the computer

Options
  • 21-10-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Ok, so a Friend attempted his first build and all went relatively well for him except for this one problem. The power switch on his case will turn everything(Fans, light on the motherboard, gfx card etc) on but holding it in will not turn it off. The power led on the front case does not activate either.

I don't have that much spare time to troubleshoot for him with college at the moment so I'm wondering if there is an obvious fix? I'm guessing it is just a small problem with wiring/cables and the front panel? This has not been tested with a monitor yet and has not even had an OS installed.

MSI 770-C45, AM3
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
    Coolermaster Storm Scout
    Corsair VX550W
    XFX RADEON HD 4870
    4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Two possibilites:

The Front Panel headers have been placed incorrectly. Redo them to be sure.
    The Bios Setting for the Power Button has been incorrectly configured.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

I called round to get a look at the enigma, turns out the cpu was not getting power/not plugged in. Simple mistake with a not so obvious symptom.

Advertisement