Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a bullet belt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hi people,
    I'm not sure if this is the right sub forum but you guys seem to be the experts here.

I have seen this fashion bullet belt I would like to buy online.
    The bullets are demilitarized, the bullets do not have or have ever had any gunpowder in them. It's just to wear as a belt around the hips.
    My question is: Am I allowed to ship this to Ireland, do I need to contact customs or is there any website I can get info on this? Do I need a license or is it perhaps prohibited or just allowed.

Some info from the website selling them:

Safe And Legal…

All rounds are INERT, and prepared with a "DEMIL" (demilitarization) machine exclusively for ROCKWORLDEAST to allow their legal import and trade in Canada, U.S.A. & Europe. All bullets are spent and incapable of being used under any circumstances.

Some help would be nice, thats all for any effort. :)

For people who do not know what they look like:
    http://www.machetemfg.com/ProductImages/machete/bullet-belts/M60-full-nickle-black-link_lg.jpg
    http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/40/8/AAAAAnVO3XAAAAAAAECAcQ.jpg
    http://s.motorcyclemonster.com/img/belts/bulletbelt-223-sss.jpg
    http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=9555140

I don't think it's ammo as long as there's no primer nor propellant in the cases. Just make sure and give your local Gardai a shout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My sister bought one on ebay and it arrived 2 weeks later, no problems, no checking with anyone. (6 months ago)

If you are nervous or want to be sure, e-mail the manufacturer and ask does the product come with a disclaimer thats states the rounds are inert and not capable of being used ever. Ring the Garda firearms policy unit (01-6661911) and ask their advice. Explain to them its a fashion accessory and comes with a disclaimer stating so. Ask if you need to inform them or any local authority prior to importing. It might seem overkill but they can answer most any question relating to any aspect of firearms or firearm related products.

Or simply buy it and risk it for a biscuit, whichever.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Go to any Army surplus store in the country and buy one.They have been on sale here for yonks.Have yet to hear of anyone getting any hassle with them.Very impractical for holding up the pants though!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I believe someone was done a few years ago for having empty cases and it was thrown out of court (anyone have any info on this?).

Either way, inert ammo is sold openly in everything from fairs to camping shops. Just make sure they label the package clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just to clarify the legal situation so that you can make an informed decision.

Section 1 of the firearms act defines ammunition as follows:
    1.—(1) In this Act—
    “ammunition” (except where used in relation to a prohibited weapon) means ammunition for a firearm and includes—
    (a) grenades, bombs and other similar missiles, whether or not capable of being used with a firearm,
    (b) any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition or missile, and
    (c) restricted ammunition, unless the context otherwise requires;

So those bullet belts are considered ammunition under the firearms acts and subject to all the restrictions in the act.

There's a common sense approach to this obviously, but always remember that common sense isn't all that common. ;)

I doubt very much if anyone would be arrested for wearing one of these especially as the 'bullets' are nickle plated and don't look like 'real' bullets, but at least you now know what the legal situation is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mrhydeandseek

rrpc wrote: »
    Just to clarify the legal situation so that you can make an informed decision.

Section 1 of the firearms act defines ammunition as follows:

So those bullet belts are considered ammunition under the firearms acts and subject to all the restrictions in the act.

There's a common sense approach to this obviously, but always remember that common sense isn't all that common. ;)

I doubt very much if anyone would be arrested for wearing one of these especially as the 'bullets' are nickle plated and don't look like 'real' bullets, but at least you now know what the legal situation is.

Its for a photoshoot, I dont intend to wear it in public. I just want to know if if it would be allowed to be imported. :)

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Go to any Army surplus store in the country and buy one.They have been on sale here for yonks.Have yet to hear of anyone getting any hassle with them.Very impractical for holding up the pants though!:D

I went there and they are all these ugly copper ones without tips and old.
    It's just for a photoshoot :P Not holding up my pants LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Its for a photoshoot, I dont intend to wear it in public. I just want to know if if it would be allowed to be imported. :)
    You can import anything once you have the correct permits. To import amunition, you need to have a firearms certificate or a dealers licence and an import permit from the Department of Justice Equality and Law Reform.

That's the legal situation.

My advice is make sure you get a statement from the supplier confirming that it's inert and import it normally.

You can always phone the DoJ you know. The advice given on an internet forum isn't what you'd like to have to rely on in court if it came to that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello Mrhydeandseek,
    If you wear one of these belts you are going to be arrested and detained by........

The Fashion Police :D
    Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yo, see that you're in Finglas, so yer in luck. Head down to Capel Street in the Dublin (it's the street North of that Green Bridge), and off the T junction to the left of the AIB branch is Army Bargains. I know they have one, as they usually stock at least one of them. Whilst there, you should be able to pick up so nice gear for the costume :D

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    You can import anything once you have the correct permits. To import amunition, you need to have a firearms certificate or a dealers licence and an import permit from the Department of Justice Equality and Law Reform.

That's the legal situation.

My advice is make sure you get a statement from the supplier confirming that it's inert and import it normally.

You can always phone the DoJ you know. The advice given on an internet forum isn't what you'd like to have to rely on in court if it came to that :rolleyes:

I just spoke with people from customs and they says its no problem as long as they are DEMIL. They will examine it for me at arrival, but I showed them the belt and details and said no problem. :D

Dvs wrote: »
    Hello Mrhydeandseek,
    If you wear one of these belts you are going to be arrested and detained by........

The Fashion Police :D
    Dvs.

LMAO :D
    Yeah I was never a fashionable guy.
    Will they beat me with sticks like in Iran? LOL :p
    This topic can be closed, thanks for all the advise.

Advertisement