Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strachan on the panel tonight.

• 21-10-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Didn't want to start a new thread, but couldn't find anything that specifically looks at the RTE coverage.

But just wanted to say what a breath of fresh air the man is and is exactly the shot in the arm needed. No boring clichéd nonsense. Actually knows his stuff.

You could tell Bill was buzzing too, and credit to Bill there, still such enthusiasm for the game.

Hope he doesn't take the Middlesbrough job.:P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

yup he's like pat rabbit.

straight talking

:pac::pac:

more of him please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

agree totally, very down to earth and willing to speak openly about his experience with celtic in europe and how they never really stood a chance vs top teams.

its kinda funny in a way having souness, a ex rangers manager, and strachan, a former celtic manager on the same show from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

As I said in anotehr thread, much better than Souness. Will always be his owm man, whereas I always feel Souness is just saying what the other lads want to hear.

Refreshing to hear an RTE panelist with actual insight into current European teams, their tactics and *shock horror* knowledge of their names!

Really good, sign him up for the season and the World Cup.

Also genuinely witty bloke, can't wait for the one-liners to start once he settles into the role. The first time it kicks off between him and Dunphy it'll be EPIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Yeah very insightful, was good watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

I think RTE when they get pundits from UK over they do get the best of them like Strachan and Souness who will give their opinions and one thing you can guarantee their wont be yes men on there like Redknapp, Hansen and Crookes who spout cliches about how good English football is.

Dont think he will take Boro job he is learning Spanish looking for a job over there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Been widely tipped for the Middlesborough job

Not sure will he be around around RTÉ for long.
    And if he does leave maybe RTÉ are in line for contract compensation

I didn't know that about him learning Spanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Strachan is a legend. Heres some old quotes from him, stolen from a thread in AH...
    Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
    Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
    Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?
    Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
    Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?
    Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
    Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump of a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
    Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
    Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
    Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

And my personal favourite:

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
    Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

Legend.....Hope he stays as a pundit with rte.

You missed the best quote.

Reporter. Gordan can we get a quick word?
    Strachan. Velocity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Zatman wrote: »
    You missed the best quote.

Reporter. Gordan can we get a quick word?
    Strachan. Velocity

F**king priceless.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lmao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He fits in perfectly to the RTE panel. Very funny bloke. Knowledgeable and insightful and not afraid to speak his mind. Great punditry. Hope we see more of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I think we'll see more of him on RTE as the likes of sky,bbc,utv etc..... would'nt have him on as a pundit to much because of his straight talking views on the game. No bullsh it from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i loved the bit lastnight when they were dicussing the keepers for the Real Madrid vs AC Milan
    Bill: "hes their 3rd choice keeper"
    Gorden: "he is, and if there was a 4th choice he would be it too"

quick a flash the whore!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bill at the end.

"Well good night for both United and Celtic top of there tables and looking on their way."

I think Billo was a little giddy that they was a new playmate on the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I really hope they are grooming him for a World Cup spot.

fair point from Ziggy though, he never did seem any good at currying favour from his own fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Please stay Gordo. He is a great man with a strong grasp of football knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Those quotes are brilliant. Bit of work deciphering his accent at times but a great addition. Hope he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sherifu wrote: »
    Those quotes are brilliant. Bit of work deciphering his accent at times but a great addition. Hope he stays.

newspapers are saying he's nailed on for the boro job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Headshot wrote: »
    newspapers are saying he's nailed on for the boro job
    Ya read that. Was thinking he may not stay on with rte too long, we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sherifu wrote: »

Agreed. Pat Crerand was the same. Worth it for the quips though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Say Gordon and Avi Grant on the sunday soccer show and said to my mate they must be looking dens jobs. Not less than 2/3 weeks later they are both well almost back working.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd hear anything to hear Strachan speak Spanish, preferably on a panel show in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The guy is a top bloke, a great football man... He was never liked by the Celtic fans though despite getting them to last 16 of CL twice and winning three titles I think. I have a feeling they might be regretting hounding him out of the club, the new guy is hardly setting the heather on fire?! :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brewster wrote: »
    The guy is a top bloke, a great football man... He was never liked by the Celtic fans though despite getting them to last 16 of CL twice and winning three titles I think. I have a feeling they might be regretting hounding him out of the club, the new guy is hardly setting the heather on fire?! :(:(

No, the new guy isnt setting the heather on fire but im glad that Strachan is gone from the club. Some of the coments on here about his footballing knowledge are laughable. It's fine having the knowledge but if you cant impart it to your players and get them to perform, whats the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The guy is a top bloke(

How is he a top boke? How do you know? Do you know him?? He treated the Celtic fans with utter contempt. Granted, he is quick with one liners and the witty remarks.

No, the new guy isnt setting the heather on fire but im glad that Strachan is gone from the club. Some of the coments on here about his footballing knowledge are laughable. It's fine having the knowledge but if you cant impart it to your players and get them to perform, whats the point.[/QUOTE

The only thing that is laughable Coillte_Bhoy is Celtic fans hounding him out of the club! Tell me, how did Strachan's European record compare with Tony Mowbray's so far?? id be very interested to hear. Strachan is a great football man and he showed his knowledge of the game clearly on TV the other night. I said last season Celtic fans may rue the day they forced him out, and I may be proved right yet again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

No, the new guy isnt setting the heather on fire but im glad that Strachan is gone from the club. Some of the coments on here about his footballing knowledge are laughable. It's fine having the knowledge but if you cant impart it to your players and get them to perform, whats the point.

I dont think even a wenger, ferguson, or mourinho would be able to impart footballing knowledge on some of them players! Shocked at how poor they were last night!

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

Well then if anything that showed how good he was! Considering what he was able to achieve with the 10 "piss poor" players that he did sign then no?? :rolleyes:

Alright I understand not all of them 10 players were there at the time but he won
    • SPL X 3
    • Scottish Cup x 1
    • Scottish League Cup x 2
    Champions League last 16 x 2 (narrowly loosing to AC Milan in one of them who were the eventual winners that year)

Ziggy, hand on heart, do you honestly believe if Strachan was still manager that Celtic would not have beaten both Vienna and Hamburg at Celtic Park?! Strachan, with the same team, beat much better teams than these two in his tenure and Im certain Celtic would have won last night. Tactically he was very astute in Europe. Yes they struggled away from home, but this is a monkey Celtic have around their necks from Martin O Neill's time. He coached Gary Caldwell to a Player of the Year award yet under Mowbray he looks like a donkey?? The player hasn't changed but the management of the club has. When a manager constantly criticises his defenders in public how does he think they are going to perform?? He lost out on a 4 titles in a row on last day of season, Celtic should have won the league last year but a bit of luck was missing in last two league games. Strachan would still be at Celtic had be been made welcome by the fans. I am amazed he achieved what he did, because he wasn't made welcome at the club by some of the Celtic support from day 1....

• Advertisement

Ziggy, he didnt leave the club in anything other than a very good state. He was forced out and the Celtic fans have only themselves to blame for this. Strachan was very happy in Glasgow and he would have stayed on had he been welcome. I was really angry about this last season, and to be honest, the Celtic fans who wanted him out deserve everything they get this season. A good honest to goodness football man is Strachan, hounded out of Celtic Park like he was a failure. Only at Celtic could this happen. Mowbray has come in and some players have gone backwards under his management. Would you even try to disagree with me on this? Brown, Caldwell, McDonald, Maloney to name but a few.........

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I remember when he was manager of Coventry watching a post match interview and thinking he is a jovial happy dude after a game they won. The brother in law says watch his interviews when they lose he is a different ball game then. Sure enough trolly was a little bollox to the interviewer and the trend stuck.

I think he is mad if he goes to Boro though. Gibson had never sacked a manager and then does because of falling attendances :eek: Clown donkey boy IMHO!

What I am?!????????? Ziggy, debate the valid points I make, if you don't want to, fair enough, that is your prerogative..

Lets keep the thread on topic though please for the other posters on thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

My point got posted in a Celtic wanj&&*& argument. May as well let the hoardes have their"state of celtic fun".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Stratchan may be a good pundit but even now, I am glad he went back to punditry!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

welli a coventry city fan and i think he is muck. sold players for millions and signed absolute rubbish to replace them.

aodea wrote: »
    welli a coventry city fan and i think he is muck. sold players for millions and signed absolute rubbish to replace them.

Maybe not his fault, fans always presume if you make 10 million on a player you have 10 million to go back out and buy another one, but as football is a business a large percentage of the money raised goes to other areas of the club.

Celtic fans are not really that intelligent if they think Strachan was bad for them. To people that say he ruined the club for years to come he didnt give players like Balde and Hartson huge contracts to stay when they were not good enough.
    If he was Celtic manager now they would probably be in the group stages of the Champions League punching ve their weight now instead of bottom of an average Europa League group

Celtic fans are not really that intelligent if they think Strachan was bad for them. To people that say he ruined the club for years to come he didnt give players like Balde and Hartson huge contracts to stay when they were not good enough.
    If he was Celtic manager now they would probably be in the group stages of the Champions League punching ve their weight now instead of bottom of an average Europa League group

Zatman, I said this last season till I was purple in the face. I think I remember one Celtic fan on boards giving him any sort of credit. They even had the gall to accuse me of being a windup merchant for posting such an opinion! If he takes Boro job, they will be back in Premiership very soon. As I said earlier on thread, there is no way Strachan would have lost at home to Hamburg and failed to have beaten Vienna at home. Im 99% certain on this. He was treated appalling by a section of fans of Celtic football Club.

Celtic fans are not really that intelligent if they think Strachan was bad for them

Generalise much? I am super duper intelligent and I was glad Strachan left

Zatman, I said this last season till I was purple in the face. I think I remember one Celtic fan on boards giving him any sort of credit. They even had the gall to accuse me of being a windup merchant for posting such an opinion! If he takes Boro job, they will be back in Premiership very soon. As I said earlier on thread, there is no way Strachan would have lost at home to Hamburg and failed to have beaten Vienna at home. Im 99% certain on this. He was treated appalling by a section of fans of Celtic football Club.

You are the classic WUM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm mereley an impartial onlooker here, but judging from that response, Brewster is the easy winner of this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Matt Holland made his debut tonight on RTE. He could be the replacement for Strachan, I hope not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement