Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Window

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace solid timber windows with pvc windows in a 3 bedroom bungalow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It depends on the number of windows, sizes, types of openings you want, double or tripple glazed, standard of finish and colour.

You would probably be best getting a few reps to call and quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

It is possible to refurbish timber windows with double glazed units. Its worth pricing this option, if the timber is not rotten ( thought rot can be repaired also!)

IMO Real timber has alot of advantages over pvc - look, feel & natural qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spartie

I had a few quotes alright, but I value some of the ideas floating around on boards. There are 9 windows in total.. 2 openings on all. 7 are 4x5 and 2 are 7x5.

I'm choosing pvc as I already had the doors done a few years back, so want to match up.

One of the reps mentioned k-glass and some sort of gas between the double glazing, but sure I haven't a clue about this type of stuff. So any opinions or advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The gas between the two panes is called argon. I'm not entirely sure what it's purpose is however it accepted as a standard part of the modern window. When you hear of a window seller saying "our windows are argon filled" its the equivalent of a car sales man saying "this car has front and back seats as standard"! However, a warm edged spacer is a feature that is very much a personal option. It is supposed to improve insulation and adds about 5% to the cost of windows. All advice we got was low-e argon filled glass with a warm edged spacer was the best spec to meet current standards without spending a mad fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ianmurphy

Not all double glazed windows are argon filled. All the spec you can gather will help to have a much better energy saving window. You should receive a cert when the job is complete stating the product that you have paid for. There is the A rated window but there are diferent standards of this so make sure you are getting the very best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

We got ours done 2 years ago - 7 huge windows, 5 small standard size windows (with two openings in each side of the bigger windows and one in the others) and 3 doors for approx 9 k including finishing off and new window boards everywhere. The more openings you have the more expensive the window. Be careful who you choose - cheapest quote is often for a less up to date window type/energy rating.

As regards the timber and replacing them with double glazing - fine if you have the time/money to paint the feckers every year or two! :mad:

Good luck:p:o

Advertisement