Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measurments - cups

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

If you were baking a cake and it gives quantities in cups, what would that convert to in lbs and ozs? or grams?

Google tells me 2cups is 250grams does that sound correct? and then it depends on the type of flour, my recipe would be using self raising flour and cocoa powder and sugar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

a cup is actually in ml
    In Aus it is 250ml, I think in england and Ireland etc it is 1/2pint (284?ml)

so get a 'cup' and fill it with flour
    You can buy measuring cups and they are excellent for quantities

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/equivalents.aspx
    states that a cup of flour is 140g

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

as above, cups are volume measures, weight will vary depending on what you are using.
    If the whole recipie is in cups, then pick an amount 240-300ml and stick with that. It won't matter which as it will scale all ingredients evenly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It does sound about right - there are some good conversion charts online. I bought a set of measuring cups in Home Store & More for €3.99 and it saves a lot of hassle with American recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'm going to buy some cup measures, I'd just be concerned about correct quantities when baking and as dizzyblond says it'll save a lot of hassle! Thanks for the advice guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

If you have a Mac, the converter widget can change cups into any measurement of volume, really handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

With cups it really does depend on what you're measuring. A cup of flour, for instance, is far heavier than a cup of rolled oats. If you're going to cook from a cup measurement recipe, you're best off trying to find something in your house that has an equivalent volumetric measurement to one cup and using that for the recipe, rather than trying to find weight equivalents - especially weight equivalents from different websites. (Or buy some US measuring cups. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

a "cup" is an American measurement - I usually use this conversion method:

1 tablespoon (tbsp) = 3 teaspoons (tsp)
    1/16 cup (c) = 1 tablespoon
    1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons
    1/6 cup = 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
    1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons
    1/3 cup = 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
    1/2 cup = 8 tablespoons
    2/3 cup = 10 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
    3/4 cup = 12 tablespoons
    1 cup = 48 teaspoons