Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate medical degree in TCD

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Im currently an undergraduate physiology student in trinity and am hoping to do a medical degree afterwards.

I have been trying to find information on the postgraduate medical degree in trinity but am finding it a bit confusing. Firstly you dont have to do the GAMSAT to get into it, or so it seems to me. You have to do a research project.

Am i able to go from an undergraduate degree in physiology to a M.D or Ph.D in medicine, or do i have to do something else before i am eligble?

The only colleges i hear about for postgrad medicine is UCD, Surgeons, Limerick and Cork. So why does nobody consider this course in trinity. I believe its a little different as it is purely reseach with no teaching.

Any help at all on the matter is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I think you are confusing two different things. The M.D. and PhD courses in Trinity are postgraduate courses (or rather research programs) for people who already hold a medical degree.

The RCSI, UCD in UL and UCC postgrad courses are for people like yourself who don't have a medical degree to study medicine. There is no such course in Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

there is no postgrad medicine in tcd, you join the undergrad 5 year course as a mature student.

"am i able to go from an undergraduate degree in physiology to a M.D or Ph.D in medicine?"

not at trinity. i dont think thats possible anywhere. you need the undergrad degree before the medical council allows you to do your internship. with an undergrad physiology you have no clinical training, so i dont see how that would be even possible.

with an undergrad in physiology you would be exempt from some, but not all, 1st and 2nd med lectures, but thats about it.

you'd be on the same footing as the north americans who come over with their primary degree completed.

for example theres a girl in my class with a phd in cardiovascular physiology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Indeed. In Ireland, the MD means a postgraduate research degree (like a PhD), whereas in North America it means the standard degree allowing you to practice medicine (the equivalent in this part of the world is the MB).

Advertisement