Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make a scrambler road legal?

• 22-10-2009 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Just wondering if you could make a scrambler/dirt bike road legal? I know you would need to get a tax book but how do you get one and does it cost much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

too much hassel
    buy an enduro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jwcpfc

Well i have a scrambler and i was wondering if it was possible to do it..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lighting coil, Regulator, headlamp tail-light, Indicators, assorted switchgear, Brakelight switches, horn .....
    Do you really want to go there?

jwcpfc wrote: »
    Well i have a scrambler and i was wondering if it was possible to do it..?

yes its easy all you have to do is:
    1 get a log book:
    to do this you need a proof of age cert and with that you bring it to northern ireland and register it to get a v5 which you bring to the revenue here and pay the vrt and they give you a log book
    otherwise yu'll have to pay vrt as new and vat as new

2 you need to ad a regulator possibably a rectifier a bigger battery head lamp tail lamp brake lamp all switches horn speedo number plate etc

3 it wont handle or brake right at this point the pads will be designed fror harsh braking at lower speeds the suspension will be too soft so new springs new oil smaller dampening rods new rear shock

if this seems like too much hassel sell the crosser and buy an enduro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Don't forget having to carry around a bottle of 2 stroke oil, short tank range so lots of trips to the petrol station, and a change of sprockets size to suit driving on the Merrion road or wherever, helps to advoid constant gear changes. You're really better off buying a road going Yamaha dt or something like a fourstroke Suzuki Drz-400. Horses for courses and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

it would be class to do but as someone already said, a drz400 be the right job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,451 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tigger wrote: »
    yes its easy all you have to do is:
    1 get a log book:
    to do this you need a proof of age cert and with that you bring it to northern ireland and register it to get a v5 which you bring to the revenue here

Why go to NI?
    Won't it have to do a single vehicle type approval test in NI? A guy I know brought a road bike over to the UK from the States and it had to go through that test, everything was checked and measured as if it was a custom built from scratch. The ironic thing was it was a Triumph, coming home...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a Suzuki RMX 250, they are no longer made but are effectively a road legal enduro bike. They had a seperate oil tank for the autolube system.
    a small bottle to catch boilover from the rads, full lighting system and switchgear. and 40+hp and a double wall expansion chamber to quieten them down.
    The closest thing you can get to them now would be a KTM EXC or TM Enduro.
    I wouldn't bother with the 4T they are hard to start and expensive to fix when something goes wrong.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Why go to NI?
    Won't it have to do a single vehicle type approval test in NI? A guy I know brought a road bike over to the UK from the States and it had to go through that test, everything was checked and measured as if it was a custom built from scratch. The ironic thing was it was a Triumph, coming home...

how would you get a reg cert here?
    without a v5 its very complicated

Advertisement