Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q to Liverpool fans: Is Liverpool vs Man Utd bigger than the Merseyside derby?

• 22-10-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

It's a question thats been bugging me for a while.

No doubt the media and Sky Sports build up to Pool vs MU will be huge.

Is this game higher in importance than Liverpool vs Everton to all you Liverpool fans?

Both games are undoubtedly huge to all Reds supporters, but what is the biggest?

Liverpool vs Man Utd bigger than Liverpool vs Everton? 85 votes

Liverpool vs Man Utd all the way.
    0%
    Merseyside Derby everytime, nothing compares to beating your local rivals.
    91%
    ButcherOfNogNemesisPiEDont be at yourselfLocostevosliceDingatronTuskydougalLizardKingmada999CyrusThe Muppetjesus_thats_gremayordenisHolstenquad_redenda1Brando_ieRandom 78 votes
    Every game in the PL is just another opportunity to get 3 points.
    7%
    brian_rbkPCPhotoKess73hblock21Royal Seahawk8-10 6 votes
    Liverpool vs Chelsea/Arsenal is bigger imo.
    1%
    Handsome Bob 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Too right it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

to foreign liverpool fans im sure its far bigger, mainly coz they dont have to live with the abuse from their fellow liverpuddlians in work

same way the birmingham derby means nowhere near as much to me as it does to people from brum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yes, it's massive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Does a bear $hit in the woods?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Helix wrote: »
    to foreign liverpool fans im sure its far bigger, mainly coz they dont have to live with the abuse from their fellow liverpuddlians in work

same way the birmingham derby means nowhere near as much to me as it does to people from brum
    Pretty much, a derby means feck all if you don't live there. With so many pool and utd fans over here it almost is the equivalent of a derby here really.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Same with me and Spurs, I've never hated them (even though I'm "supposed to") and since they play good football, I quite liked them for a while. Haven't been as keen on them since they nearly qualified for the champions league though.

As for the thread, it's irrelevant here as the answer is obviously going to be United...sure as an Arsenal fan, United is the biggest game in my calendar every year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

jasonorr wrote: »
    Same with me and Spurs, I've never hated them (even though I'm "supposed to") and since they play good football, I quite liked them for a while. Haven't been as keen on them since they nearly qualified for the champions league though.

As for the thread, it's irrelevant here as the answer is obviously going to be United...sure as an Arsenal fan, United is the biggest game in my calendar every year!

Spurs = Good football.

I havent laughed as much in quite some time. Brilliant.

Its not very often that these types of games deliver on the hype. They rarely justify their billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

For me it is bigger but i think to the Liverpool fans living in Liverpool Everton would be a bigger game. All to do with bragging rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Of course it is. Two most successful teams in the history of English football who hate every single thing about the other. Everton just are'nt in the same zip code when it comes to the united game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

yes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It could be called the Derby of England.

Oh, not a Liverpool fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Liverpool vs Chelsea/Arsenal is bigger imo.
    It's gotten to the stage where all I care about is the 3 points. I'd happily lose to Man U if it meant that in the grand scheme of things that we won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

orourkeda wrote: »
    Spurs = Good football.

I havent laughed as much in quite some time. Brilliant.

Right, so Spurs don't play entertaining football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Every game in the PL is just another opportunity to get 3 points.
    The games against Everton are the first games I look for each season when the fixtures come out, the next pair are the United games.

I know most people who are not from or have not lived in Liverpool will chose the United games though, especially now with it tied at 18 titles apiece.

For me it will always be the Derby games though, and I put it down to having lived in Liverpool and having spent a chunk of my school years there. I still have family and friends there, who are blues, on the phone for about a month before matchday with banter, with emails/texts being swapped also.

They are also the two games that I make the most effort to get back over to see each season as the atmosphere is totally different than any other Liverpool game for anyone with links to the city because if you lose you are going to be hearing about it for a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You'd have to ask on a forum where actual Liverpool supporters post to get a more accurate answer.

I don;t think a derby will mean as much to non-Liverpudlians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

stovelid wrote: »
    You'd have to ask on a forum where actual Liverpool supporters post to get a more accurate answer.

let me guess? LOI mafia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

A derby is defined geographically yes?

If so, I honestly believe that this question should be put towards people who live within that region.

After all, there is rivalry between Manchester United and Liverpool. But if either club were not as big and as successful as the other, I think that rivalry would be almost non existent. For example, Tranmere and Oldham don't really have a massive rivalry do they? Oldham is north east of Manchester city centre. Tranmere is across the mersey afaik.

Ask a Bohemians fan how he felt in Dalymount when the news filtered through that Cork scored a second vs Rovers.

The feeling of coming into work/school/dole office here in Ireland as a Manchester United/Liverpool fan suffering from defeat to the other the previous day is horrible. I can only imagine a Liverpool fan brought up in Liverpool would feel exactly the same way after a defeat to Everton. As would a United fan after a City defeat.

As I said, I can only imagine re the Liverpool fans. As my family lived in Manchester (split red/blue) and some still do, I know how they feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

If your from Liverpool no, anywhere else yes.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    let me guess? LOI mafia?

Your surmise. Not mine.

A derby, as said, is a geographical thing and I'm not sure why non-Liverpudlians would be worked up about it unless something was at stake. Matches between Liverpool and United usually have more at stake.

The poll results so far would appear to bear this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Your surmise. Not mine.

Bollocks. You using the word actual is clearly a dig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Do no ''actual Liverpool supporters'' post here?

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Honestly I dont think he was, but sure if he was then feck it we all might as well move on now anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Sorry not L'pool fan but my opinion on it from know some diehard fans
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    let me guess? LOI mafia?
    I think he meant Liverpudlians Liverpool fans

I think there are different things at stake in both derbies and to say one is bigger depends on what you are valuing the match on .

In the Merseyside derby it is a town rivalry , people who live work together and yeah the p1ss take in the schools and workplaces in the city the day after , I think it has a different feel to the manU-liverpool. Two teams close together in the spoils for trophies , fighting it out at the top for a long time , and very close to feel like a derby but not in the same town so maybe a little more animosity and wanting to prove themselves against each other.

So I think the Merseyside match is still bigger deal to Liverpudlians because it is an event where families are torn , but I believe there is more animosity between manU and L'pool that makes it bigger to the wide scale.

Then again I may be totally wrong **shrugs**

Trilla wrote: »
    Honestly I dont think he was, but sure if he was then feck it we all might as well move on now anyways!

If the word liverpudlians instead of actual fans then fair enough. But actual liverpool fans was the term used, clear dig and just annoying. Although well done in taking over, what was it, maybe 16 posts before someone started. Improvement :rolleyes:

cHaTbOx wrote: »
    I think he meant Liverpudlians Liverpool fans

This doesnt help. Are ya saying actual fans = liverpudlians - what does this makes the Irish fans on here? As I said before, its obvious what was meant

Fromvert wrote: »
    Do no ''actual Liverpool supporters'' post here?

I meant geographically distinct Liverpool supporters in this instance.

Typically, I would think that you should be from the city (or country) of the team that you support, but in this case (this thread) that wasn't the point I was making.

What I said was sound imo: why would people not from Liverpool care about Everton when they don't challenge each other in a meaningful sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Liverpool v United is the big one.
    I assume if I was from Liverpool, the Mersyside would mean more.
    It's hard to care much about a local derby, when you've ties with the locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pretty much, a derby means feck all if you don't live there. With so many pool and utd fans over here it almost is the equivalent of a derby here really.
    The Sky Sports Derby

Typically, I would think that you should be from the city (or country) of the team that you support, but in this case (this thread) that wasn't the point I was making.

Call me cynical but this is the route you were looking at imo
    What I said was sound imo: why would people not from Liverpool care about Everton when they don't challenge each other in a meaningful sense?

This is not what you said, you said actual liverpool fans. In reference to what is being discussed in the thread I think its pretty clear what you were getting at.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Sky Sports Derby
    lol harsh!

I meant geographically distinct Liverpool supporters in this instance.

Why not say Liverpudlians then and not ''actual Liverpool supporters''.

You were having a dig. Be man enough to admit it.

This doesnt help. Are ya saying actual fans = liverpudlians - what does this makes the Irish fans on here? As I said before, its obvious what was meant
    I did not mention actual fans , and sometime people post the way they would say it and forget to emphasise the word the like Liverpool in a way that mean both fan of Liverpool and Liverpudlian .
    Also why do you care what someone says in a post makes the irish fans on here? If you support the club , you support the club , but the liverpool football club is part of the city of liverpool and of course growing up in different environment means you feel differently towards things.

This is not what you said, you said actual liverpool fans. In reference to what is being discussed in the thread I think its pretty clear what you were getting at.

The post you're weeping about also makes a reference to 'non-Liverpudlians'.

Basically, Irish Liverpool fans have built up a bitter rivalry with United and it's easy to see why the results matter.

To hallucinate a geographical rivalry involving a city that none of them are from would be silly.

As is evidenced in the poll.

I did not mention actual fans , and sometime people post the way they would say it and forget to emphasise the word the like Liverpool in a way that mean both fan of Liverpool and Liverpudlian .
    Also why do you care what someone says in a post makes the irish fans on here? If you support the club , you support the club , but the liverpool football club is part of the city of liverpool and of course growing up in different environment means you feel differently towards things.

I never said you mentioned actual, but its the implication based on your post and his.

Of course it may mean something different to people who are from there but people have no right to come in and say that Pool fans on here are not actual fans and imo that was clearly being implied despite all the backtracking now.
    The post you're weeping about also makes a reference to 'non-Liverpudlians'.

Basically, Irish Liverpool fans have built up a bitter rivalry with United and it's easy to see why the results matter.

To hallucinate a geographical rivalry involving a city that none of them are from would be silly.

As is evidenced in the poll.

You make very good points. Now why not just say that in the first place and not try and imply that irish Pool fans are not, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, actual fans.

INow why not just say that in the first place and not try and imply that irish Pool fans are no, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, actual fans.

I can't legislate for people's defensiveness?

• Advertisement

I can't legislate for people's defensiveness?

Yeah sure, thats what it was.

I never said you mentioned actual, but its the implication based on your post and his.
    So if I didn't say it and you acknowledge I didn't say it what are you talking about implications for
    Of course it may mean something different to people who are from there but people have no right to come in and say that Pool fans on here are not actual fans and imo that was clearly being implied despite all the backtracking now.

What am I back tracking on ? It's like you are chasing after a ghost that said if you are not from the town you are not an actual fan . Which you acknowledge I didn't say but apparently implied?I think you are getting my views mixed with another poster , I just commented on what I thought he meant when he said actual Liverpool fan.
    All I am saying is that there is a different feeling to being a fan from the city the team resides than in a place other than there supporting the team . I really need to work on clarity .

So if I didn't say it and you acknowledge I didn't say it what are you talking about implications for

What am I back tracking on ? It's like you are chasing after a ghost that said if you are not from the town you are not an actual fan . Which you acknowledge I didn't say but apparently implied?I think you are getting my views mixed with another poster , I just commented on what I thought he meant when he said actual Liverpool fan.
    All I am saying is that there is a different feeling to being a fan from the city the team resides than in a place other than there supporting the team . I really need to work on clarity .

I don't think he's saying you implied anything. Its directed at stovelid.

All I am saying is that there is a different feeling to being a fan from the city the team resides than in a place other than there supporting the team .

Basically what I said.

Although my feelings are known on the matter, I didn't intend to make the specific "real/actual "point here in anything other than geographical distinction (although I would do so if it was the topic) so I don't want things to go off-track on the back of that.

Basically what I said.

Although my feelings are known on the matter, I didn't intend to make the specific "real/actual "point here in anything other than geographical distinction (although I would do so if it was the topic) so I don't want things to go off-track on the back of that.

its not basically what you said and im pretty sure you knew what you were implying.

i just deleted a big post i made to also not go any further (if we did at all) OT and this will be my last post on this.

if you didnt mean it then im being wayy too cynical and i will apologise but as you say yourself you seem to be one of the more vocal on local support is real support etc stuff so thats why i came to the conlcusion I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It's obvious why. Half your mates are United & you've put up with everything they threw at you through school etc. It was hard to take - supporting Liverpool when every game against United was a loss. Then out of no-where we became stronger, started beating em. All United fan's don't like this because they weren't used to it. Now all they want is our demise & we want to beat them because it anger's you. We've tasted a degree of success & want it all - we're close but things have happened & it could be back to the 90's. We can't have that - the recovery starts Sunday.

That's why the United game is bigger than Everton - to me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It was hard to take - supporting Liverpool when every game against United was a loss. Then out of no-where we became stronger, started beating em.

:confused:

When did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

When did this happen?

Circa Gerard Houiller - I think there were a good few games we went where ye couldn't beat us. Or maybe this is all fantasy - christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd say most actual Liverpool fans would consider the Merseyside derby much bigger. Look at the biggest derbies in the world, the teams all play in the same city;
    Boca Juniors vs River Plate
    Aris vs PAOK
    Crvena Zvezda vs Partizan
    CSKA Moscow vs Spartak Moscow
    CSKA Sofia vs Levski Sofia
    Dinamo Bucharest vs Steaua Bucharest
    AIK vs Djurgården
    Brøndby vs Copenhagen
    Inter vs AC Milan
    Lazio vs Roma

.... see the trend?

Talking to a scouser there, a Liverpool fan born and bred hasn't miss one match this season home, away and abroad, member of Spion Kop Ultras (the lads who organise all the tifo flags, etc... on the Kop) and he said that Everton is by far the bigger match, he says the rivalries are different but that Everton is the outright winner. He also said that that would be the general opinion of the scouser Liverpool fans. There's the conclusion so.

I'd say most actual Liverpool fans would consider the Merseyside derby much bigger. Look at the biggest derbies in the world, the teams all play in the same city;

definition?

definition?

IMO actual Liverpool fans are what I've just said in my last post about a lad I was talking to "a scouser..., a Liverpool fan born and bred hasn't miss one match this season home, away and abroad..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Probably a question for Liverpudlians to answer tbh. For "us" over here it's the United one obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Boca Juniors vs River Plate
    Aris vs PAOK
    Crvena Zvezda vs Partizan
    CSKA Moscow vs Spartak Moscow
    CSKA Sofia vs Levski Sofia
    Dinamo Bucharest vs Steaua Bucharest
    AIK vs Djurgården
    Brøndby vs Copenhagen
    Inter vs AC Milan
    Lazio vs Roma

.... see the trend?

Meh...

Barca vs Real
    Juventus vs Inter
    Ajax vs Feyenoord
    PSG vs Marseilles
    Schalke vs Dortmund

See the trend?

IMO actual Liverpool fans are what I've just said in my last post about a lad I was talking to "a scouser..., a Liverpool fan born and bred hasn't miss one match this season home, away and abroad..."

what about a scouser who moved to the south coast and cant get to every game? still an actual fan?

the scouser who moves to ireland and gets 10-15 games a season?

the son of the scouser who has been born an reared to follow liverpool and goes to those 10-15 games too?

the paddy whos whole family has always supported liverpool who has a season ticket and goes to every home game and as many away games as he can?

the paddy with no historical tie who goes to every match - home away and europe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement