Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q to Liverpool fans: Is Liverpool vs Man Utd bigger than the Merseyside derby?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

IMO actual Liverpool fans are what I've just said in my last post about a lad I was talking to "a scouser..., a Liverpool fan born and bred hasn't miss one match this season home, away and abroad..."
    Helix wrote: »
    what about [insert example of scouser here]?

Look lads, we know where this is heading. The thread isn't for discussion of what makes a real fan, or an actual fan, or an imaginary 3d representation of a fan, please leave that discussion for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Merseyside Derby everytime, nothing compares to beating your local rivals.
    It's obvious why. Half your mates are United & you've put up with everything they threw at you through school etc. It was hard to take - supporting Liverpool when every game against United was a loss. Then out of no-where we became stronger, started beating em. All United fan's don't like this because they weren't used to it. Now all they want is our demise & we want to beat them because it anger's you. We've tasted a degree of success & want it all - we're close but things have happened & it could be back to the 90's. We can't have that - the recovery starts Sunday.

That's why the United game is bigger than Everton - to me anyway

Sh*t. I remember when it was the other way round!

The Merseyside Derby probably overtook it in the mid to late 80's, but personally, it was always United. Even in the 80's, you never knew who would win.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Merseyside Derby everytime, nothing compares to beating your local rivals.
    I'd say most actual Liverpool fans would consider the Merseyside derby much bigger. Look at the biggest derbies in the world, the teams all play in the same city;
    Boca Juniors vs River Plate
    Aris vs PAOK
    Crvena Zvezda vs Partizan
    CSKA Moscow vs Spartak Moscow
    CSKA Sofia vs Levski Sofia
    Dinamo Bucharest vs Steaua Bucharest
    AIK vs Djurgården
    Brøndby vs Copenhagen
    Inter vs AC Milan
    Lazio vs Roma

.... see the trend?

the biggest match in club football is barca vs real not barca/espanyol or real/athletico

the biggest match in italy is ac milan vs juventus

the biggest match in holland is ajax vs feyenoord

the biggest match in england is liverpool vs man utd

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the biggest match in club football is barca vs real not barca/espanyol or real/athletico

From a neutral perspective.

Bohs v Rovers is bigger then all them put together for me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

el dude wrote: »
    Probably a question for Liverpudlians to answer tbh.
    Talking to a scouser there, a Liverpool fan born and bred hasn't miss one match this season home, away and abroad, member of Spion Kop Ultras (the lads who organise all the tifo flags, etc... on the Kop) and he said that Everton is by far the bigger match, he says the rivalries are different but that Everton is the outright winner. He also said that that would be the general opinion of the scouser Liverpool fans. There's the conclusion so.

Already got to ask a scouser and his reply is above.;)

rossie1977 wrote: »

From a neutral perspective as ScienceNerd said, as I had quoted above what a Liverpool die hard fan he thinks Everton is a much bigger derby.

Local derbies are much more important to fans who are from that area, it's about pride, which is the best team in the city, Shels playing Pats, Rovers or Bohs is much bigger than us playing Cork, Monaghan, Derry, Waterford etc...

BTW biggest derby in Italy is by far Roma -v- Lazio.

Advertisement